COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Things can change so quickly. My daughter has had problems with her legs requiring compression socks. As a result she delayed getting a jab until Moderna was available, because it supposedly had less risk of clotting. She had her first jab just under two weeks ago. She felt a bit of a catch in her throat last Thursday. It hadn't cleared by Friday so she went and had the swab. Late last night she got the text that she had proven positive. She had been looking forward to resuming work as a school crossing supervisor very soon, but that is now on hold.

My son thinks he may have it and has texted his boss to say he can't go to work for two weeks. The whole house is in quarantine.

I tested negative 10 days ago before going into hospital, but  may have picked it up since. I have been double jabbed since July 1. I was supposed to have a post surgery check-up on Tuesday, but that will have to be deferred. I have a runny nose, coughing and sneezing, but that's not unusual. I get that every 12 months when it's hot one day, cold the next.

The biggest worry is with my wife. Following heer two cancers, radiation and chemotherapy, etc., she is immunocompromised and has been unable to get vaxxed. At age 77, and with the virus in the house, she is a key target. She has now been cleared to get vaxxed and was scheduled to have Moderna jab #1 on Oct 18. Now she cannot leave the house until Oct 24.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 2

This beast knocks your apetite about. My son couldn't eat his chicken parma last night. Because we can't go out to shop, my daughter ordered pizza for delivery tonight. Normally I would eat 3 slices, but struggled to eat two. My  son has had no solid food since yesterday. I had a bowl of tomato soup at luchtime, but nothing else all day. All you want to do is sleep. My son and I went and got tested this afternoon. Results in 24 hours.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Still no results yet. My son said his heart was beating heavily and fast. Rang the doctor, who said "Call an ambulance." After a series of checks here, they took him off to hospital. No word yet.

Talk about a waste of time. We check in religiously, everywhere we go, using the QR code system. After my daughter tested positive, the Health Dept called to ask where she had been. She said "it's all on the QR records" Their response? "Oh we can't access that." What's the point of contact tracing?

I think I am starting to recover. The nose still runs, but I got some apetite back and ate lunch.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Went and had an eye eXam today (CASA crap!) and the fear at the optometrist was frightening! Don't sit there, remain 1.5m away from other sheep, use hand sanitizer, fit yr mask correctly, show me yr Medicare card as I can’t handle it, Christ any wonder the world is f**ked!

There's some disturbing Covid stats coming out of Russia. Infections of over 30,000 per day and deaths of almost 1,000 per day have set a record in that country since the beginning of Covid last year. A couple of factors are colder weather as they head toward winter and the higher danger of the Delta variant. More importantly, the other factors are vaccine hesitancy and lack of restrictions and precautions.

They have one of the world's more effective vaccines freely available, yet only 31% are fully vaccinated. There's also a big problem with people not taking precautions like mask wearing and social distancing. Also, the authorities are nowhere near as hard with rules as we are here. Federal authorities are not locking down, but are urging people to get vaccinated. They've given regional authorities the right to bring in their own restrictions which some are starting to do. There's talk of them possibly re-introducing QR codes which were abandoned in the summer. With those daily figures, you would think QR codes would be a no brainer.

It might be a look into the future for when we let it rip here which governments seem to be preparing us for. When it happens, hopefully, our high vaccination rate will mean few deaths despite high infection numbers.

• Informative 2

There's nothing surer than the fact that we're going to see a massive upsurge in COVID cases after Christmas, as "everything opens for Christmas" (read = economic gains) - and the political leaders don't really give a rats rectum any more about keeping the number of cases down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

THEN IT IS OURSELVES !.

That will determine the outcome of the festive season covid cases.

My very first home visit for a bbq, knowing that any of my relatives could be contagious.

How many day,s to find my answer to having caught a bug ?.

No more outings till we are SAFE to mingle again.

spacesailor

• Agree 1

Following all the illnesses etc, my wife has endured over the past 18-20 months, we are hoping Covid-19 is not the final straw. She, like everyone else in the house, has tested positive. Over the past 3 days she has eaten virtually nothing, no more than one mouthful per meal, and her liquid intake has been way down.

Last night, her temperature reached 38.2. As 38 is the trigger to go to Emergency, we called an ambulance. Due the the high demand, an emergency ambulance was not available, so we ended up getting a Patient Transport (private) ambulance at about midnight and she was transferred to hospital. We are all still in quarantine, and could not drive her. We can just hope she pulls through.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, red750 said:

We are all still in quarantine, and could not drive her. We can just hope she pulls through.

Not a nice thing to hear, must have been a terrible couple of years for you and your family. Really hope she gets through this, at least she will get good treatment in hospital and should be right. All the best.

• Like 1