COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

9 hours ago, Yenn said:

Do you realize that USA has had 2000 deaths per million of population and Australia has had 2500 cases of Covid per million. That must be why the media says USA is doing so well and we ought to follow.

Roughly correct.  Or, comparing apples with apples, USA has close to 2,000 deaths per million of population and Australia has had 41 deaths per million of population.

But if Scotty from Marketing and his big business mates get their way and open up at 70% vacc, we'll see that number go up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

So right Marty. I was deliberately comparing apples with non apples to get your attention.

The pundits seem to be trying to get us to follow failed examples of how to treat Covid. The media just jumps from one headline to the other. Nowhere have I seen them mention the very worst places for covid. We have been treated to India as a bad example and also Indonesia, but never a mention of Czechia, or even Belgium.

One spin-off from the virus is that it's one of the factors pushing the exodus of people from Sydney and Melbourne to South East Queensland. SEQ has gone crazy lately and people are moving here in droves. In my area, most properties have doubled in value. Real estate agents are struggling for listings and very ordinary houses are commonly selling within days and even hours for prices in excess of the one million mark.

Another thing is that since Covid, work practices have changed and a lot of people are working from home. It's possible for them to keep their interstate job and live on the Gold or Sunshine coast, working remotely. The down side is that the huge correction in housing prices has permanently pushed out a lot of local younger people from the housing market.

• Informative 1

On 08/09/2021 at 11:55 AM, willedoo said:

the exodus of people from Sydney and Melbourne to South East Queensland.

Blimey.. Better build a wall to keep the Mexicans out 🤣

I recall when I lived in Brissie (in the days of that legendary weatherman, Ray Wilkie), I went down to Melbourne for Chrissie and was very comfortable in jeans and a short-sleeved shirt while my fellow Melbournites were is loose fitting shorts and tang tops/singlets panting while fanning themselves because of the heat and humidity. But, as I had QLD citizenship (my mum is a Queenslander), there was no keeping out the half-cast Mexican. Quite enjoyed Brisbane and remember the thunderstorms that came with summers.. they made those in Melbourne seem like rain showers.

BTW, off to London on Tuesday to go to the office for the very first time... So a little bit of trepidation despite double AZ.

BTW, here is an interesting Vid. @red750, I understand why you aren't enamoured by Dan the Man, but I think I would rather him running things than some others (even over here):

7 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I recall when I lived in Brissie (in the days of that legendary weatherman, Ray Wilkie), I went down to Melbourne for Chrissie and was very comfortable in jeans and a short-sleeved shirt while my fellow Melbournites were is loose fitting shorts and tang tops/singlets panting while fanning themselves because of the heat and humidity.

I often used to go to Adelaide for work and there were people from around the country.

You could tell who was from where... on 20 degree days the Tasmanians wore shorts & t-shirts, Victorians/NSW were in pants and shirt, Queenslanders were shivering in jumpers.

• Like 2

Are you saying you need to have gin forced on you, Nev?   Anyway it's too hot in that big island, you can keep it.

We were down Woodbridge way last weekend (which isn't that far from our home anyway), there's the Grandvewe cheese and gin distillery there.  Family business - they started off making cheese from sheep's milk but couldn't make enough money from that, so the son started using the waste whey from the cheese to make gin.  He won the gold in the world gin awards in 2018.  

• Like 2

Anyway back to Covid - looks like some catholics are still stuck in the dark ages.  Even their boss has urged everyone to get vaccinated but this bloke doesn't get it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-09/catholic-call-to-exempt-priests-from-tas-vaccine-mandate/100446200

As someone whose mother is in a nursing home the last thing I want is unvaccinated priests wandering around spreading the virus.

• Haha 1

Both, I guess.

And meanwhile in Melbourne:  https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/more-ripponlea-worshippers-fined-as-video-reveals-some-entering-via-roof-20210910-p58qko.html

Further evidence god will protect those who worship him/her/it.

(Edit - if you can be bothered reading it, as it is behind a paywall, opening the link in private mode works for me...)

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

1 hour ago, Marty_d said:

As someone whose mother is in a nursing home the last thing I want is unvaccinated priests wandering around spreading the virus.

The last thing I'd want is any priest wandering around a nursing home spreading insanity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dax said:

The last thing I'd want is any priest wandering around a nursing home spreading insanity.

Well my mum's already infected with the religious virus so she's probably immune to other doses. (Funny how every sub-group of every religion things theirs is the only right one).

• Agree 3

Just love headlines like those.

Here is some info on it: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/nipah-virus

It is definitely an issue, and worryingly, "There are currently no studies on viral persistence in bodily fluids or the environment including fruits."

However, on transmission (human to human): "During the later outbreaks in Bangladesh and India, Nipah virus spread directly from human-to-human through close contact with people's secretions and excretions. In Siliguri, India in 2001, transmission of the virus was also reported within a health-care setting, where 75% of cases occurred among hospital staff or visitors. From 2001 to 2008, around half of reported cases in Bangladesh were due to human-to-human transmission through providing care to infected patients"

So, not aerosol, or airborne, requires contact with secretions and, ahem, excretions... Yes, it has a higher fatality rate - "40% to 75%".. which is effin scary.. but its transmission can be relatively easily contained - at last compared to COVID.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/nipah-virus

• Informative 1

8 minutes ago, Fliteright said:

There will always be another Virus, it's a way of determining  the amount of fear out there:-) Corrupt Govt's and the grubby media thrive off such human control methods, it ensures their survival!:-)

Flightritght it is quite difficult to understand your point of view, you never really get past one liners.  It seems to me that you are against mass vaccination.   Saying that "there will always be another virus"  is true but this does not mean you do not tackle the disease before you at the moment. As a child I remember receiving antibiotics for a throat infection.  I guess you advice would have been  that there is no point in treating it because there will always be another illness.

These diseases have been vastly reduced by vaccination.  Surely a good thing?

• diphtheria
  • tetanus
  • pertussis (whooping cough)
  • poliomyelitis (polio)
  • measles
  • mumps
  • rubella
  • haemophilus influenzae type b infections
  • hepatitis B
  • influenza
  • pneumococcal infections
  • small pox