COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

2 hours ago, red750 said:

Sure, it's an inconvenience and annoyance, but until this virus is reigned in and under control, it's something we are going to have to live with.

Considering it's rapid mutation, reigning it in seems to be getting more and more difficult. Especially when the facts don't represent the reality and we constantly get lied to by politicians and their lackeys.

The below fact check is worth a read, because it sits well with what the premiers are saying, all lies. It's not them suffering, they still get paid obscene amounts for the social destruction they are causing, its small business and the general community that are taking the brunt of their never ending lies and deceit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-15/fact-check-is-hotel-quarantine-99-9-per-cent-successful/100289242

"In an interview with Sky News on June 25, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the hotel quarantine program "had a lot of critics" but defended its record.

" … about 370,000 people have been through that system, and I think there's been about 26 breaches and less than ten of those has led to community transmission. So if I told you a year ago when we did this that, you know, I reckon we do this, we'll get a 99.9 per cent success rate, I think you would have told me that, mate, I know you believe in miracles, but that's a bit of a stretch. But that's actually what's happened."

"Mr Morrison's claim is spin."

Edited by Dax
  • Like 1

My daughter has done a runner, a day or two Before we were declared a lockdown,

A few twits have made comments about Not being in lockdown.

When they return why should they be quarantined.  They weren't in a Red, Orange, or near anyone with WueFlue.

Lucky buggers. On holiday, while we Isolate.

spacesailor

6 hours ago, Dax said:

Considering it's rapid mutation, reigning it in seems to be getting more and more difficult. Especially when the facts don't represent the reality and we constantly get lied to by politicians and their lackeys.

The below fact check is worth a read, because it sits well with what the premiers are saying, all lies. It's not them suffering, they still get paid obscene amounts for the social destruction they are causing, its small business and the general community that are taking the brunt of their never ending lies and deceit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-15/fact-check-is-hotel-quarantine-99-9-per-cent-successful/100289242

"In an interview with Sky News on June 25, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the hotel quarantine program "had a lot of critics" but defended its record.

" … about 370,000 people have been through that system, and I think there's been about 26 breaches and less than ten of those has led to community transmission. So if I told you a year ago when we did this that, you know, I reckon we do this, we'll get a 99.9 per cent success rate, I think you would have told me that, mate, I know you believe in miracles, but that's a bit of a stretch. But that's actually what's happened."

"Mr Morrison's claim is spin."

Everything that comes out of Scotty FM's mouth is spin. His M.O. is deny, deflect, divert and spin. There's a time for playing the politics and there's a time when the nation needs governing. Scotty thinks the time for playing the politics is all the time. The governing part is over the top of his head. Only my opinion, but I think it will bite him on the bum one day as more and more people are starting to see through him. He's wearing thin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Fellas - lots of good ideas - maybe letters to MPs and some of the independent journos - and maybe even Clive Palmer, because if there's something in it for him, he can have a chat in SFM's ear..  I can't believe others haven't thought about these ideas already...

Of course, I declare a vested conflict of interest... And of course, I need to apologise for the latest COVID outbreak - as has been consistent, whenever there are positive signs on the returning to Aus front, a flippin COVID outbreak starts.. And there were two almost extinguished coals in the fire that re-lit quickly - one in Sydney and one in Melbourne - so to make sure I don't come back, SFM halves the cap!

@red750- I watch AFL360 on most nights, and even Robbo was getting angry about out Sidney Stack was jailed for a couple of months for a minor transgression, but nothing appears to be happening to those who break the rules in a spectacular fashion. Maybe one for all of us to also note to our local MPs (well, maybe not mine for Aussie stuff), along with the fact that this sort of thing does matter when elections come around.

Just as things were starting to get back to normal, along comes another damn lockdown. I've been back at the Shed on Monday and today, which is why I have managed to add so many profiles in RF this week. Told today I could go again tomorrow, only to get home to find out about the lockdown, and notification from the Shed Co-ordinator that it will be closed until further notice. In a Comments column in todays paper, someone referred to the three removalists as Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest. And what sort of idiot comes in from an active interstate and goes to a football match? So irresponsible. You see more on TV. I haven't been to a footy match this century.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just an update on Pfizer - you don't tend to see this on the net (and I've been looking) but side effects from the 2nd shot can last for a week or more.

I started getting concerned as over a week on from the shot, I'm still getting fever (cold then hot at night) every night.  Wake up shivering or soaked in sweat.

So I went to a doctor (couldn't see mine because of a nice little Catch-22... Can't come in to the surgery because of fever symptoms, can't have a phone consult because I haven't been in for over a year).

They referred me to a respiratory clinic set up specifically for covid cases - one person only at a time through the door, everyone fully kitted out, mask, etc.  Anyway the doctor told me that they'd seen cases where the side effects of the Pfizer 2nd shot lasted for 2 weeks.

Please don't think I'm trying to put anyone off the jab.  Just the opposite, I'm happy to have fever for a week or more as a tradeoff for not getting something that could have me in ICU gasping for breath as well as long term health impacts.  It's a no brainer for me.  I just wish the information had been out there that the side effects can last a lot longer than a couple of days, because you do start to worry.

(The other thing about having side effects, according to the doc, is that it means your immune system is really doing its job and recognising the virus.  Of course, this may be like saying that a seagull shitting on you on your wedding day is good luck, but I'll take her statement at face value!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Saw somewhere, TV I think, where Israel, which has the highest percentage of population vaccinated, has found that Pfizer vac is only 60% effective, down from the believed 90%. Pfizer says their recent testing has confirmed that this is the case.

• Informative 3

Marty, thanks for sharing your experience.

It's really important that people know what is normal to expect from the vaccinations. Otherwise they might panic and think that a few mild side effects could be a serious problem, when it really isn't.

I hope that rational people are already weighing up the simple equation that shows that a vaccination is by far the least risk, compared to the risk if catching covid-19.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, red750 said:

Saw somewhere, TV I think, where Israel, which has the highest percentage of population vaccinated, has found that Pfizer vac is only 60% effective, down from the believed 90%. Pfizer says their recent testing has confirmed that this is the case.

Importantly though, even when getting it when vaccinated, the impact on you is much less.

• Agree 1

I've heard a few other anecdotes of people being crook with flu like symptoms for days with Pfizer. Fairly normal I think. There seems to be different reactions with different people. One bloke I know had his first AZ shot and was very sick for three or four days. His wife who was vaccinated at the same time had no reaction.

Another mate was in the rehab ward after a knee operation and told me one of the other rehab patients was just out of intensive care after surviving a brain clot from AZ. He didn't elaborate as to the condition of the bloke who got the clot. But the odds of that not happening are fairly good. I think all you can do is toss a coin and hope you are not one of the rare unlucky ones. And looking to the future, it's quite possible we will have newer, safer vaccines and no more AZ to be concerned about.

• Like 1

There is much information and disinformation about the vaccines. From what I can tell, if one has a sever underlying condition, AZ can be the straw that breaks the camel's back..

Over here in blighty, from Monday, it is almost back to normal.. wearing of masks is not mandatory (although Sadiq Khan as the London mayor has, IMHO, done the right thing and made it law in London for all London transport users to wear face masks - with the exception of those who can't for medical reasons.

Yesterday (Friday), we received an email that in line with government recommendations, they are going to start wanting people back in the office - on a drip-feed basis. My team isn't expected to return until September, and we have a policy if that returning to the office is going to cause anxiety, then don't. No probs. Still people are vexed about it as obviosuly, they think it may impact their annual review if they don't come in. I had to lay it out.. if they felt they didn't want to come in, well, I couldn't have given a flying F (not quite in so many words)... But I had to put it in such a way that they had to do the analysis and make their own decisions. Today, we had 50k infections - the largest for 6 months. There were, however, only 45 deaths which is less than a couple of weeks ago. However, the death counters don't all work on the weekend and Monday's numbers usually restate them in the wrong direction. However, even if it were "only" 45 deaths, that is 45 people who needlessly succumbed; whose family and friends are impacted, etc.

Back to the AZ... I, thankfully, had no symptoms except for a sore arm for a few hours.. for both shots. The fella who rents my cottage off me was apparently bed ridden for almost 2 weeks. We are now getting warnings if people have severe health issues, to let their docs know and they will get the Pfizer jab..

The missus has a close friend who is an ICU nurse, and she has confided the side effects of the vaccines are being downplayed and too many of the nurses in her dept who got the shot have suffered some really adverse reactions. Two of the nurses suffered seizures. The missus' friend is not happy about the side effects, and claims they are not being reported officially, and they're being downplayed.

I find this is common with most medicines, the side effects are always downplayed, because the docs and the manufacturers don't want any adverse effects to be made public, as it could seriously affect sales and useage of the particular drug or vaccine.

The missus says that 6 weeks on from getting the first AZ shot, she's still suffering adversely from the shot, with constant aches and joint stiffness. But she reckons she feels she has little choice but to keep on with vaccination, as she does suffer from a degree of lung weakness, having had bronchitis and whooping cough previously.

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

The missus has a close friend who is an ICU nurse, and she has confided the side effects of the vaccines are being downplayed and too many of the nurses in her dept who got the shot have suffered some really adverse reactions. Two of the nurses suffered seizures. The missus' friend is not happy about the side effects, and claims they are not being reported officially, and they're being downplayed.

OK with all due respect I have to put my skeptics hat on.  This "anecdote"  suggests that 2 nurses in one ICU had seizures.   I don't know how many nurses work in this ICU but if we extrapolate this to the huge number of people in the wider public who have had vaccines then the number of people having seizures would be huge. This would surely be hard to conceal since the hospital should be full of people who had suffered seizures. 

My understanding is that frontline workers are generally offered the Pfizer vaccine.    Also  I am guessing that the average age of an ICU nurse is well under 60 so therefore we are talking only about Pfizer.

It is no secret that AstraZeneca, can, in an extremely tiny percentage of cases can cause thrombocytopenia, this fact does not seem to have been concealed so I am not sure why seizures from Pfizer would be concealed.

In the end it is a numbers game.  Without mass uptake of vaccination we are just waiting for the a variant that is more fatal and that present vaccinations will not protect us from.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I can only relay what she has said, first-hand, she's not one to make things up, and she's a very capable nurse.  There are reports coming out, elsewhere, of heart inflammation problems with a number of younger people who have been vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine. I think the vaccine manufacturers just need to be open and upfront, about actual, reported side effects.

Edited by onetrack

4 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I think the vaccine manufacturers just need to be open and upfront, about actual, reported side effects.

I doubt that in the history of vaccines there has ever been one under such scrutiny.   In Australia alone there have been almost 10 million vaccinations, even a 1% rate of adverse reactions would mean 10000 people requiring hospital treatment or at least some medical intervention.   If adverse reactions from AstraZeneca are being reported then why particularly would Pfizer be concealing adverse reactions.   For me anecdotes are interesting but I want hard data.   

There have been 3.61 billion vaccinations world wide.  Tiny percentages  of serious side effects would add up to enormous numbers of fatalities or serious adverse effects.  It is up to the individual whether or not they get vaccinated however to me not get it is by far a bigger risk than getting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

There are reports coming out, elsewhere, of heart inflammation problems with a number of younger people who have been vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.

The heart inflammation cases have been with Moderna as well. I think the EMA figures are only for cases in the EU and don't count the U.S. cases. The EMA study found 145 cases of myocarditis and 138 cases of pericarditis out of 177 million Pfizer doses given and 19 case of myocarditis and 19 cases of pericarditis out of 20 million Moderna doses given. Five people died who were all elderly or had other underlying health problems. They have said the heart inflammation side effects are more common in younger men.

The one I have been following is the cases of GBS after getting the AZ shot. A smaller number than the blood clots and brain bleeds, the cases are still under investigation. The last I heard, they hadn't as yet established a causal link to AZ. GBS has in the past been known to occur not long after experiencing a respiratory or digestive infection and has happened in a small number of cases after surgery or vaccination.

• Informative 1

What is it that is so hard for people to understand? You can have this virus and spread it even when you don't know you have it, or you can catch it from someone who has it. The only way to stop it spreading is to stop going out unless absolutely necessary. Going without exercise for a couple of weeks won't kill you, I haven't exercised for years, but catching the virus might, especially if you have been too chicken to get the jabs. Whats so special about going to a gym where people sweat and breathe heavy? And your hair doesn't grow that fast that another week or two is going to kill you. If you are at home where no-one will see you, what does it matter if it's a millimetre or two long? And can someone explain why a (gardening) nursery is an essential  business?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Today marks the opening up of the UK.. where everything (other than home quarantine when entering from a red or amber country) is simply a guideline. The COVID infections have been on a steady increase as people had become more lackadaisical over the last week or so. Hospitalisations are up - almost all are non-vaccinated, apparently. Deaths are, however, down, but we will have to wait for today to get the accurate picture as the death counter doesn't work properly on the weekend for some reason.

We are also told today that cloth masks are not much more than a security blanket and useless to stop the spread of infection - not hard to work out..

Then some arsey UK "celeb" journalist (hadn't heard of her here)  manages to get herself on the deportation list from Quarantine for her comments and apparent actions. How the f! was she given priority over an Aussie, when even by the immigration act or statutory instrument she fell foul of the type of people that should not be allowed int eh country. Oh, wait, yes.. Channel 7 was wanting her to appear on big brother - does that even still get an audience? Gosh, there are some sad people out there...

One of her claims was that Victoria went into lockdown on 3 cases in the community - so a blatant liar, too?

• Agree 1

I'm no fan of Daniel Andrews, but he said this thing (Delta variant) spreads so fast and so readily, you have to jump on it. No waiting till you have new cases in the hundreds and dozens of ICU patients. They are now considering restricting when you can visit the toilet at the footy (when crowds resume) because that's one place (enclosed) where you are most likely to catch it. Yes, this silly b*tch was going to open the quarantine hotel door to staff delivering meals, wearing nothing at all, not even a mask. They also let Caitlin Jenner in for Celebrity Big Brother.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1