COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

On 04/07/2021 at 7:00 AM, Jerry_Atrick said:

But, with any luck, one of the jobs can start in London and transfer to Sydney when things go back to being more manageable.

I suggested to my lady that she organise enough fully vaccinated Aussies to charter a plane and organise those wanting to leave Aus for the return journey, also said to see if she can get enough Tasmanian's as well and drop people in Aus before finally landing in Hobart. 😇

Hobart had it's runway extended so it can take the biggest planes in the last couple of years. Also suggested she organise a big yacht and some Aussies to crew it to sail home, if they could find someone who wants a plane or boat brought to Aus, they could all cruise home via air or sea.

In times like this and with such incompetent governments, we have to make our own arrangements.

One of the interesting things about the COVID-19 vaccines is that you are still required to quarantine - anytime you have been exposed to the virus, or when you cross international borders. 

This means that the virus will always be with us, outbreaks will continue and quarantining will continue. The only advantage with the vaccines is you're supposed to not get such severe symptoms.

Now Indonesia is finding out the Sinovac vaccines performance is way below the stated level. Now, who'd have thought the Chinese would overstate the quality of their products?? :classic_unsure:

https://apnews.com/article/china-gao-fu-vaccines-offer-low-protection-coronavirus-675bcb6b5710c7329823148ffbff6ef9

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/06/17/chinas-sinovac-vaccine-under-scrutiny-as-covid-soars-in-highly-vaccinated-countries/?sh=a33e2b71444b

• Like 1

My lady in Sweden, is fully vaccinated, yet the Swedish and EU governments have only issued her a vaccination certificate for 3 months. When she looked into it, it's because they are saying the vaccines aren't working on the new variants and she will have to have more vaccinations.

• Informative 1

In Tas we haven't had a case of the virus for over a year, but from today we have to log in at every business we enter and to me, that's just another step towards a totalitarian dictatorship where the authorities, banks and corporations can keep tabs on what we do, what we spend, where we go and who we are with.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spacesailor said:

In the fifties it was everywhere, even got t a meme.

spacesailor

It was bald iggles where I was, they were everywhere chalked on the footpaths fences, walls, pieces of paper and who's kilroy, or should that be kiljoy.😁😉

9 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

An American soldier. 

BUT 

Wiki say,s others did the similar drawings,

spacesailor

Yes I was interested in finding the origins. There is even an Australian  version.

Kilroy was here is a meme[1] that became popular during World War II, typically seen in graffiti. Its origin is debated, but the phrase and the distinctive accompanying doodle became associated with GIs in the 1940s: a bald-headed man (sometimes depicted as having a few hairs) with a prominent nose peeking over a wall with his fingers clutching the wall.

"Kilroy" was the American equivalent of the Australian Foo was here which originated during World War I. "Mr Chad" or just "Chad" was the version that became popular in the United Kingdom. The character of Chad may have been derived from a British cartoonist in 1938, possibly pre-dating "Kilroy was here". According to Dave Wilton, "Some time during the war, Chad and Kilroy met, and in the spirit of Allied unity merged, with the British drawing appearing over the American phrase."[2] Other names for the character include Smoe, Clem, Flywheel, Private Snoops, Overby, The Jeep, and Sapo.

According to Charles Panati, "The outrageousness of the graffiti was not so much what it said, but where it turned up."[3] It is not known if there was an actual person named Kilroy who inspired the graffiti, although there have been claims over the years.

Foo was here[edit]

Main article: Foo was here

Digger History, the Unofficial history of the Australian & New Zealand Armed Services, says of Foo that "He was chalked on the side of railway carriages, appeared in probably every camp that the 1st AIF World War I served in and generally made his presence felt". If this is the case, then "Foo was here" predates the American version of World War II, "Kilroy was here", by about 25 years.[dubious  discuss] "Foo" was thought of as a gremlin by the Royal Australian Air Force.[13] It has been claimed that Foo came from the acronym for Forward Observation Officer.[citation needed]

• Informative 1

I was under the impression the origins of Kilroy and Foo, et al, originated in pre-WW2 radio classes, where students were being taught the electrical symbols for sine wave or sinusoidal patterns.

Some wag appears to have generated the "face and nose looking over a wall" by adding a few other electrical symbols, and Kilroy and Foo were born.

It wasn't unusual for military signallers to regularly end up in secretive or hidden positions, and thus be able to leave Kilroy and Foo as their radio wave markers for others to find.

Well, the UK recorded almost 32,000 new cases yesterday and added 135 to the death tally (which I suppose is better than the 1,000+ deaths/day at the height of the pandemic). So BoJo has announced that there will be no requirement for those double-jabbed to quarantine regardless of which country they enter from when returning. OK, if one has the virus, they are a lot less contagious, you only need to pass it on to one person and... well...

Fun times ahead - I am supposed to go to London on the 22nd July for work when all the restrictions will be all but over. May borrow as nuclear facility hazmat suit 😉

• Informative 1

Went to Hobart shopping yesterday, the first day everyone is supposed to log in when they enter a building. Took my neighbour along as she had ti take her dog to the vet and shop as well, which gave me the opportunity to watch how many people used the log in thingy outside each shop when waiting for my neighbour.

It was only in one shop that one person logged in with their ph, everywhere else no one did it, including me. When I went to DVA, there was a sign saying log in bu no thingy and the lady who served me, watched me cone in and said nothing.

I never carry my ph with me, it sits in the car shut down and only switch it on when need to use it and also noticed not one place had a facility to log in for those without phones. The green grocer I go to was packed as usual, yet no one logged in whilst I was there, same with the big mitre ten I went to to get some bits for my hyperbaric chamber. Not a soul logged in at the door and that's because we haven't had a case of the virus for well over a year, except think maybe one or two people in quarantine may have tests positive some time back. Also noticed the quarantine hotel they were using, no longer had cops or soldiers at the doors. Which to me means no one in quarantine in Hobart.

In Vic, your phone runs flat logging in with QR codes. You log in going into a shopping mall, then again at every store you visit. Many places have multiple QR code locations or you would be queuing. Sometimes you forget, and some people don't bother, but you can get pulled up, and I believe there is a fine for not logging in. If you go to the chemist, you log in to lodge your script, then go and do your shopping while they make it up, and log in again when you collect it. If you don't have a smart phone, stores are required to provide a sign-in location.

At our men's shed, I have 3 separate logins. First for the shed itself, then because we are located in another organisation's premises, we have to use their QR code, then, as I am a volunteer, I have to use a different QR app and answer 6 questions before starting.

It is the same in regional NSW. We have never had a case anywhere near where I live and though most businesses now have the QR code at the door most people do not scan it. Since the Sydney lockdown and new rules regarding masks most people are wearing masks to go in to shopping centres and businesses though.

Very different in Tas, shops in our small town have the QR code thingy near their door. When collecting mail yesterday, they have a 2 person inside at a time policy and mostly there is only one person in there but no one logged in, same with the supermarket and chemist, watched people going in there as well and no one logged in. The only masks you see are tourists that have just go of a plane, I carry masks in my car and have had to use them when visiting the airports.

What really interests me is, not one state or the federal government have moved arrivals out of cities to places where they can quarantine safely. This would allow just about all people would go about their lives as usual, they could establish quarantine facilities for tens of thousands within a few weeks, if they had a working brain amongst them, and not a delusionary insane ideological agenda, that can never come true.

Yet all the political parties ignore calls for that to happen and just stick to CBD quarantine, which we all can see is a guarantee of constant escaping contamination. They hire privatw security, which hires non speaking and clearly dumb guards with no training or experience and even when that fails, they blindly continue with it.

It would be interesting to find out why considering its almost 18 months since covid arrived in the country.

Opposition parties are silent, even supposed independent pollies are saying nothing. Could it be the millions of dollars given to just about all parties by the hotel and gaming industries country wide, not even the warped greens are opening their mouths.

In Tas before the last election, the labor party who had been demanding the removal of pokies from clubs and pubs, then they secretly signed an agreement with the Hotels and clubs associations that they would not campaign against pokies. Sadly for them it was leaked before the election and they lost more seats.

If they continue to have quarantine in CBD's they will achieve the goal of destroying most small business, putting the people on full time surveillance and turning the entire economy over to the major corporations.

Most small businesses are being force to close, yet the majors stay open and with relaxed privileges. They also get the benefit of any form of compensation the government doles out, to the people and business.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marty_d said:

At least we still have Andrew Wilkie

He's useless, he pushed for more money for the hobart hospital when he should have been pushing for more decentralised health services around the state where they are needed. Other than that, he's just another politician and to my knowledge has said virtually nothing about the current virus situation.

11 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

I was thinking of his stance on gambling - he's been a constant campaigner against poker machines.

Yes I admire him for that, but it has led to nothing and now it's going to get worse as I'm told the new legislation handing control of pokies over to pubs, also means no restrictions on the number of pokies they can have, or who can have them. Hopefully that rumour is wrong, but knowing the political system we have, it's probably true.

12 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Blame the people who use them !.

The house Always  wins, & yet those simple minded people can,t see they,r throwing their moneh away.

spacesailor

To a degree blame the people who use them, but the realm problem is what their gambling does to their families and the general community. The number of women you see on pension days going into pokie venues and blowing all their money, then they go to the local support group crying poor, so they can get vouchers to feed their families. That's where the harm is, couldn't care less about the gamblers, they get addicted to anything, most smoke, drink and would gamble on 2 flies trying to get out a window if they had lots of lights bells and whistles around them.

• Agree 1