COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

I wonder where we are really heading. There does not seem to be an aim in the vaccinations. What are we trying to achieve? Is it complete herd immunity, or is it a reduction in the symptoms to keep us out of hospital?

If we just reduce the symptoms, what is to stop the virus changing and becoming more aggressive? What do we do if that happens?

Have the experts thought it all through, and are they happy with their deliberations?

9 minutes ago, Yenn said:

What are we trying to achieve? Is it complete herd immunity, or is it a reduction in the symptoms to keep us out of hospital?

That's easy it is for both of those things.    The goal of herd immunity if achieved will mean that this particular virus dies out or at least becomes as rare as other disease that we no longer have to fear   Meanwhile the 10% (approx.) of us who may get need not succumb to it.     

I've signed up to see if I can be accepted for a clinical trial for a needle-free COVID-19 vaccine, called COVIGEN. This trial is named COVALIA, and it is being carried out to find out the safety and efficacy of this new DNA-based COVID-19 vaccine.

These new vaccines are called nucleic acid vaccines. The idea is, the vaccine is manufactured using the DNA of the COVID-19 protein and this is injected into your skin cells to provoke an immune reaction.

The beauty of utilising the skin cells for vaccines is it's the bodys largest organ, and it's our first line of defence against diseases.

The scientists are quite excited about the potential of this process, as it does not involve giving people a weakened dose of the virus, to promote the immune system reaction.

Instead, the virus DNA injection into skin cells provokes an immune reaction directly from the B cells and T cells, and builds virus immunity in a direct fashion with the immune system cells.

I have registered, and they will now contact me to see if I'm suitable for the trial. There are two doses given a month apart. The trial involves 2 clinic visits and 8 medical appointments over 12 mths.

The initial trial has 150 participants, and if it's successful, they will expand to a second trial, involving a larger numbers of participants. They're basically testing the COVIGEN vaccine to see if its safe and effective.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/technology/participants-needed-clinical-trials-begin-for-needle-free-covid-19-vaccine-c-3223755

https://biomelbourne.org/university-of-sydney-receives-approval-to-start-covalia-a-phase-1-clinical-trial-of-covigen-a-new-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-in-australia/

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/what-are-nucleic-acid-vaccines-and-how-could-they-be-used-against-covid-19?

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

On 24/06/2021 at 5:30 PM, octave said:

That's easy it is for both of those things.    The goal of herd immunity if achieved will mean that this particular virus dies out or at least becomes as rare as other disease that we no longer have to fear   Meanwhile the 10% (approx.) of us who may get need not succumb to it.     

Hasn't there been a few countries who went down the herd immunity path, Sweden tried that approach and it was so devastating on society, they are now locked down. As are parts of Europe to a varying degree.

3 minutes ago, Dax said:

Hasn't there been a few countries who went down the herd immunity path, Sweden tried that approach and it was so devastating on society, they are now locked down. As are parts of Europe to a varying degree.

Herd immunity by allowing the disease spread is quite a different matter to herd immunity via vaccine.   Herd immunity by allowing the disease to spread entails a percentage of deaths and serious illness.    Herd immunity by vaccine so far seems not to entail deaths or serious illness other than from extremely rare but serous side effects of the vax itself.

The British Medical Journal, the Lancet has savaged the Swedish Govt and its Health Agency for its absolutely appalling response to the COVID-19 virus.

The virus is still raging rampant in Sweden, and the country poses a worldwide viral threat, as a constant source of infection and re-infection, along with worsening mutating variants.

The figures show the devastation and utter failure of good governance in Sweden. For a population of just over 10M, they are currently sitting on a total of 14,584 deaths.

However, Australia, with its 25M population, has recorded a total of 910 deaths. Yes, we do have the advantage of isolation as the worlds largest island, but we also have a COVID-19 response that works.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00885-0/fulltext

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 2

This pandemic is bringing many changes to the way we live;

one is a cultural shift in Australians’ attitude to dobbing in those who break the rules. I’m getting quite p1ssed off with the selfish people who have, for the third time, destroyed our plans to have the grandkids visit for the school holidays.

At least my Grandies have a small backyard; spare a thought for the many who don’t even have that.

image.thumb.jpeg.7fdc7699f09273e6ecaf7a335914a542.jpeg

On 26/06/2021 at 11:22 PM, onetrack said:

The virus is still raging rampant in Sweden, and the country poses a worldwide viral threat, as a constant source of infection and re-infection, along with worsening mutating variants.

My lady is in Sweden went back almost 2 years ago to see her sick mum and has been stuck there ever since, she's a nurse and they have turned it around there by locking down. She's been trying to get back for almost a year, is full vaccinated and they won't let her in, even though we offered to provide a private plane from Tullamarine airport to Hobart, but they refused Qatar to fly in. Seems they are letting the rich and politically aligned to come and go as they please, but citizens can't get a flight. So Qatar cancelled her July 6th flight age;s had booked since February, because the government has made it economically nonviable to fly to Aus.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3
  • Sad 1

There's a bloke at work, 65, who won't get the jab from a fear of needles.  "I'm not sitting there while they come at me with a needle the size of a train" is his normal response when the subject comes up.

Tried to tell him it's about the thickness of a hair and most times you can't feel it, but nope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

There's an Australian research group doing work on needle-free vaccination. They're looking for volunteers.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/technology/participants-needed-clinical-trials-begin-for-needle-free-covid-19-vaccine-c-3223755

You will be given fifty injections with harmless saline as part of the study. You have been randomly assigned to the control group who will get them the conventional way. Thanks for volunteering.

• Haha 1

Why do you need needle-free injections - they don't hurt. These ones you can't even feel. Having blood test samples taken is more painful, and that's not all that bad. I've had it dozens of times. As for my A-Z jab, either the nurse was exceptionally good, they don't hurt at all, or she only pretended to give me the injection. I have the certificate now anyway, so I'm protected.:classic_wink:

• Like 1

I had a bit of a read through the study design and it looks like it is designed to test the safety and to test the most effective dosage.   I am thankful that people do volunteer for medical trials however my concerns would be that I would be getting the dose that may be below the effective dose.    In terms of needles I would imagine that determining the effectiveness of each different dose will surely involve several blood tests.   

Here's what I don't understand...  why we are doing quarantine so badly. Two weeks is not long enough if you are sharing quarantine with new arrivals. Obviously, you need to separate these groups and extend the period.

In the olden days they did quarantine much better. Yes, they did not have international air travel, but we have remote locations which are well served with airports. So just why are we quarantining for 14 days in hotels in CBD's ?

I think its terribly unfair to restrict locals while bringing in infected people from overseas.

Last week I was informed that my application to return to SA was rejected because my address in SA is more than 70km from the border of vic. Yet I have never seen any sufferer either here in border victoria or in SA. Actually I don't even know anybody who has caught the virus.

• Like 1

For once, a useful article in a Murdoch publication (yes, I know, try to get over the shock!)

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/risk-of-dying-from-astrazeneca-vaccine-blood-clots-exposed/news-story/3b4ed97f89a283df45a1d51c6facf304

Actually compares your risk against other things.  For example you're 56 times more likely to get killed in a car accident as dying from the vaccine.  In fact the risk of being killed by lightning is almost the same.

• Like 1

Beats me .

WHY

Too many humans in the world & we are trying desperately to stop the CULLING of this population.

Am l missing something? .

Suicides " encourage  it " .

Israel  " support  it "

Famine " burn the crops " .

Lets join the revolution " lower population  ".

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why the desire to not cull the population? Well, apart from the fact there probably is the desire, but not the will, by saving people and making them live longer, the medical and pharmaceutical industries make a lot of money.. and then because people are living longer, they have to consume, so other industries too.. So it helps ensure a population that can sustain the economy - which is an artificial means of resource allocation (and control). Bugger the fact the natural world can't sustain either.

If any other species was parasitically overtaking the world like we are, we would be right onto trying to control it. Without us, the natural world order would more or less take control and ensure maintaining populations at sustainable levels.. of course, except where man introduces new species to ecosystems where they can thrive through either nil predators or by abundant resources.

Having said that, when my daughter was about 7 and contracted an infection, a simple antibiotic stopped it spiraling into her death knell.. I think you can guess the choice I made. Maybe we should all become Amish.. they don't believe in intervention - what happens is gods will.. maybe not a bad religion after all - except when it concerns my family?

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

This darned virus... Over this last week, my planned return took 2 - neigh 3 steps forward.. and now 3 steps back: https://www.theage.com.au/national/hunt-warns-against-gouging-as-airfares-soar-ahead-of-new-arrival-caps-20210703-p586j3.html

$38K (£20K) each makes it a tad expensive. Partner and I are double-jabbed. Both offspring are due the Pfizer jabs shortly.

Ahh well... First world problems..

But, with any luck, one of the jobs can start in London and transfer to Sydney when things go back to being more manageable.

• Like 1