COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Snopes is always worth checking before you republish anything.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/avoiding-future-plague-psa/

I have a 1975 copy of the American "Peoples Almanac", by Wallechinsky & Wallace, a large tome which I bought in a secondhand bookstore for $5 about 1985.

It's a fascinating book full of both facts and fantasy, and covers almost every subject that mankind has indulged in.

It has several chapters dedicated to "future predictions" by seers, fortune tellers, scientists, and famous people down through the ages.

The interesting part is how many of the so-called "visionaries" and "psychics of renown", couldn't even get one of their future forecasts right (I'm talking 20-30 years into the future from 1975).

Many had produced surprisingly accurate, near-term predictions that came true (disasters and important events that occurred within 1-3 years of the prediction).

There were many prophecies of War between America and China and America and Russia, in the 1980's to the early 21st century - all based on the "Communist menace" and Cold War thinking.

This was long before the Berlin Wall came down, and at a time when the Vietnam war had been "won" by the North Vietnamese, backed by the Chinese.

Some of the future scientific predictions are just plain laughable, but some do come close to the mark. Only one futurist out of the dozens interviewed, predicted something like the Internet.

Many future predictions promised cures for cancer and other debilitating diseases. Hardly a one of them has come true, and no-one saw the rise of HIV, and the other viral pandemics.

Count Louis Hamon ("Cheiro") provides probably the most accurate future predictions, but as he died in 1936, virtually all of his predictions were based on the reading of important peoples palms, and much of his predictions were limited to the length of life of the individuals whose palms he had read.

He predicted the abdication of the Prince of Wales (Edward VII) many years before it happened. He did predict the partition of India in 1947, and the division between Buddhists and Muslims, and he correctly predicted the return of Palestine to the Jews, and how it would be called Israel. He predicted the worldwide spread of Communism, and that "America is destined to have dominion of the air". He also predicted that Armageddon would start in Palestine.

Edited by onetrack

It is very easy to look at predictions with hindsight, but much harder to make accurate predictions for the future itself. 

The emergence of a new disease was a fairly easy and safe prediction to make however. In fact the covid virus has turned out to be less lethal than has been predicted.

So I think the old newsreel was real, and quite impressive.

But notice that they failed to predict global warming, resource depletion and overpopulation, the 3 things we must solve to have a future.

• Like 1

Or we could simply wait for covid to evolve a little further so it gains the morality rate of MERS or SARS, while it still has its present (ever increasing) infection rate...........

Edited by nomadpete
added a depressing possibility

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Or we could simply wait for covid to evolve a little further so it gains the morality rate of MERS or SARS, while it still has its present (ever increasing) infection rate...........

I think Trump has a morality rate somewhat below SARS.

It's not over till the fat lady sings. and so far it appears that Covid 19 may be the answer to overpopulation. I don't think it is time to write it off yet.

Let me know if you hear a fat lady singing and it will probably be the Eurovision thing.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Marty, you've lost me

Trump... Connection with overpopulation or SARS?

Sorry Peter - I was having a pun at your spelling error.  You put "morality" instead of "mortality", and I couldn't let that pass.

• Like 1

Every now and then, I buy a Sunday paper. This week, I reas the Sinovac is coming under scrutiny.. Apparently, in the Seychelles, where virtually the whole population have has the course of Sinovac innoculations, they are experiencing a rapid increase in infections greater on a per capita basis than India. This and other countries that have used it with infection rates that remain stubbornly high are now starting to doubt the claims of the efficacy of the vaccine. WHO have just approved it, and if it transpires that the Sinopharm vaccine has cooked the books in terms of efficacy, would look rather embarressing.

Meanwhile, Wednesday morning at about 10am (7pm Aussie Eastern Standard), Dominic Cummings, the PMs ex henchman, is giving evidence to a parliamentary committee into the guvmint's handling of the pandemic - and the precursor makes interesting, if depressing reading - including the claim that BoJo's plan all along was herd immunity until he was pursuaded at the last minute that piles of dead bodies in the streets doesn't make a good future election campaign. And apparently, as his ex-partner has lavish tastes included in a divorce settlement, a measly salary of £156,000/year and the other perks doesn't quite make enough for him, so during at least two COBRA (Cabinet Office Breifign Rooms) emergency meetings, it is alleged he was absent  so he could pen some book about Shakespeare to help pay for his ex-wife's lifestyle. Can't wait for PM's question time later that day. He may need to take a sickie.

• Like 1

To get a proper idea of the vaccine situation in the Seychelles they need to study the data more thoroughly. Around 60% of the population have had their two shots, and of those vaccinated, the mix has been around 60% Sinopharm and 40% AstraZeneca. Of those vaccinated who have tested positive, the Health Ministry hasn't said which vaccines they received. I read somewhere that Sinopharm was given to people aged 18 to 60.

• Like 1

The article I read suggested higher han 60% dual shots in the population - maybe it was in error, but yes, there is 40% AZ vaccinations for the populations. No doubt they will work out which vaccine is not doing its job...

However, as said, there are other countries also experiencing concerns with the Sinopharm vaccine.

At the beginning of lockdown 1, the men's shed was closed along with other public gatherings. After a number of months, it reopened, but due to regulations limiting the number of persons in a given area, we had to be rostered. 

Our shed operates on Monday, Thursday and Friday, with different groups attending each day. Most men only attend the one day per week, a couple come two days, I go three days. Under the roster system, half of each group could attend every alternate week, I was limited to Mondays. The rostering was meant to finish this week, but the coordinator had septicemia and could not open the shed, so it was going to be next week. Now this new cluster has given rise to lockdown 4, heaven knows when we will resume normal practices. It's been over a year since I've seen some of the guys.

This is having an impact on me adding more aircraft profiles on the other site. Most of my work is done at the shed because the missus detests me looking at "bloody aircraft pictures".

• Like 1

My mum (live in Vic) had planned to go to Brissie with my brother to celebrate her school's 100th birthday, with a reunion of those who left some 62 years ago.. That was last year and was rescheduled for this year in a couple of weeks or thereabouts. Postponed again, I believe.

Thse buggers that won't stay home! Looks like 21 days quarantine should be mandatory, with new arrivals separated from those due to leave within a week. No offense Jerry, but while people are traipsing in and out of the country, we will forever be putting out spot fires. And vaccination is not the answer. You can be vaccinated, still catch and spread the virus, just not suffer the more severe effects.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1