COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

We should be more self sufficient. there is no reason that we can't have Australian experts at all sorts of jobs.

We have worked ourselves int a corner in the  last 4 or so years and we produce very little, plus we train even less.

Just this week it has been in the news that poor quality aluminium from China has caused in our naval replacements. Why are we getting Aluminium from China, when it is mined, refined and smelted here in Australia. It seems we ship the raw materials or maybe even basic aluminium to China, so they can alloy it and roll it,then sell it back to us.

Latest is that we have nobody to pick the citrus crop at Mundubbera and Gayndah, so it will be more expensive in the shops and we may have to import citrus from overseas, all because we have no bakkpackers. They are talking about 20000 neeeded, but I don't know where that number comes from as there has never been accomodation for that many that I can see. The total population of those two towns would not be 20000 I reckon.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Yenn said:

...Latest is that we have nobody to pick the citrus crop at Mundubbera and Gayndah, so it will be more expensive in the shops and we may have to import citrus from overseas, all because we have no bakkpackers...

We’re told that many businesses cannot get staff, because too many unemployed prefer the Covid supplements to actual useful work.

I can’t wait to finish my camper so we can get on the road and perhaps get productive exercise.

• Like 2

Last week saw a bit if a surge of jobs in Melbourne and Brisbane for what I do, so once mt daughter, whio has been banned form her computer (where she snuck a couple of games on under my radar) gets off yootoob on my computer, I have a few applications to submit.

• Haha 1

Well...

I was duck hunting... and accidentally shot a stork that was carrying a begotten girl.. Since this girl didn't have a name tag and no-one responded to my ad in the Beetootah Advocate, after 3 months the begotten girl became mine.

True story!

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Back to COVID....

England relaxes its restrictions a little today.. As far as I can tell, it means we can meet outside in groups of up to 6 (why not 4 or 8, I am not sure)... And we can travel in the country, but that's about it..

I have a receding hairline, and this is the first time in my life I have had a style of hair that approximates a mullet.. Partner is not willing to cut it... so I have to wait for the barbers to open - about mid April, I understand.

And Brisbane has gone backwards, with a large spike in cases, and a 3 day lockdown. I reckon someone will wake up soon, that this COVID-19 virus lives and multiplies in large building air-conditioning systems, similar to Legionnaires disease. Every time there's another outbreak, it always seems to have been thriving in a quarantine hotel.

It's hard to figure out the reasoning behind some of the rules. Mask wearing is now required across all of Queensland. You have to wear a mask in all public venues including shopping centres, malls, supermarkets, restaurants, at weddings and funerals. But not at the footy or church if you are sitting in your allocated seat. At the football, you have to wear one going into the stadium, but then you are allowed to sit down with thousands of people and not wear a mask. If you get up out of your seat, you have to put it on. Maybe it's the new Coronavirus preventative; everyone buy a football stadium seat and you're immune.

To be honest, I have got used to wearing a mask and when outside in public areas, feel a bit naked without it (yes, I checked, my trousers and shirt were on)..

There is no requirement here to wear masks outside; only inn indoor public areas.. the reason has been that, accoridng to the guvmint, that the risk of transmission outside is much less if people are socially distancing. Maybe that's why in allocated seats at the footy, there's no requirement to wear it.

We're lucky to be in Australia. I received an email from a friend in Belarus saying that the Russian Sputnik V vaccine rollout has started, but that a lot of people don't want to be vaccinated. Mainly concerns about being guinea pigs. Sounds like the promotion of the vaccine is lacking detail. Case figures are currently averaging 1,000 per day and 8 deaths. At least here, we've had better media coverage and health official updates on vaccines, and generally good public acceptance of vaccination.

• Like 1