COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

24 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I can't see any reason why the portable freezer arrangement can't be organised as a standard freight container dimensions, so it could be fitted at a moments notice to any aircraft.

I agree but the reality as far as I am aware no one has offered a similar capability.  I imagine that for remote Australia the Gov will contract out the delivery with provisions for failed delivery.  I would also assume that there will be competitors competing on price and reliability.   

"Maintaining those frigid temperatures has been one of the many challenges of rolling out the vaccine to the public, so Tecnam teamed up with Italian freezer manufacturer Desmon to find a solution to the problem."

The freezer company is probably of more interest than the aircraft company. 

From Tecnam, here are some more specs:

• Can maintain -86°C during transport
  • Can maintain -65°C for 10-12h after the system is unplugged for further distribution
  • Can reduce the distribution cost to as little as USD 0.005 per dose, per flight hour
  • Can land with less than 1,850ft of runway
  • Can reduce delays in vaccine transportation

Yep could have been done with a Cessna but they haven't offered (yet)

Still I think it is an interesting and relevant story.

• Like 3

While I have no doubt many parts of China are quite amazing with their development, I don't believe that video above, shows exclusively, Wuhan sights and developments and projects.

I believe it is more likely a composite range of images from all over China. In particular, the high suspension bridge with the red towers at 3:18 in the video, is not something I can find a photo of anywhere. I suspect quite a few of those images are computer-generated.

I think perhaps this site is more indicative of what awaits the visitor to Wuhan - https://www.touristsecrets.com/destinations/best-things-do-wuhan-china/

Edited by onetrack

Australia has been spared the devastating infection and death rates suffered by America, Britain and others. Why? 

I’m sitting in my local pub having a well-earned beer and a major reason for our success is right in front of me.

People are coming into the bar for lunch. Without needing to be prompted, every single person has scanned the QR code and done the hand sanitizer routine, including big hairy, tattooed blokes who make some of those Proud Boys look like wimps. 

• Agree 1

OK I think you are observing what Australians are really like. No matter how much screaming about how badly we treat others it is apparent that Aussies treat others fairly, be they Aussies or obvious foreigners. We don't see the ignorant treatment of others in this country as I have noticed overseas.

Of course there is a current push to make us all feel guilty.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Why, I wonder, do they all do quarantine in the very middle of the biggest city around?

Then they import people, about ten percent of which will have the virus and put them there.

In the olden days, islands were used for quarantine, and we have many islands to choose from.

We also have remote places like Woomera, not as good as an island but heaps better than a big city.

If money was the reason, why do these state shut-downs which cost millions?

Because the islands don't have plush hotels like the jet-set crowd demand. 

Why aren't staff and security people employed there forced to stay in the hotel, in quarantine themselves, plus an isolation period at the end of their roster, until they test negative? Pay them extra, it would be far cheaper than the current set-up. My son's hotel is closed again, with a store room full of fresh food which may not last till the lockdown is over. Bet he won't get compensation. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

How about poor old Brazil.

3,000 people dying per day, second only to the US.  Run by an idiot who discourages masks, discourages people getting vaccinated, doesn't do contact tracing, and is now trying to get judges to overturn social distancing requirements in states that have put them in place.  

Sound familiar?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

How about poor old Brazil.

3,000 people dying per day, second only to the US.  Run by an idiot who discourages masks, discourages people getting vaccinated, doesn't do contact tracing, and is now trying to get judges to overturn social distancing requirements in states that have put them in place.  

Sound familiar?

I think there's commonality there. It's a widely held belief that Bolsonoro is an anointed American puppet. Like father, like son.

• Agree 1

Further lifting of restrictions in Victoria.

Crowds at the MCG and Marvel Stadium at 75%, masks now only required on public transport and in taxis and rideshare, not in malls or supermarkets as from midnight Friday. Anzac services cleared to go ahead. Offices at 75% of staff. Many want to continue to work from home, others one day a week at home on a roster. Many people think masks are a good idea, and will continue to wear them.

Zero active cases anywhere in the state, zero transmission for 24 days.

• Like 3

I see how Biden wants to get American schools to re-open. Our grandkids in Oz have had a pretty normal school years so far. 

It’s hard not to gloat a little about the moronic response by the bozo leaders of Brazil, USA and (initially) Britain.

There are still right wing American commentators saying lockdowns don’t work....

7 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

There are still right wing American commentators saying lockdowns don’t work....

That's not really a surprise, right wing American commentators are full of all sorts of sh*t.

I see on the news that Michael Moore made a very good ironic remark about the most recent mass shooting in Colorado and was promptly jumped on by idiots.  Guess they don't do irony over there - at least in conservative circles!

Latest on ABC news is that the lessening of the Covid problem will result in an increase of gun shootings. I don't know why but it seems to be happening, only a dozen or so killed by guns in the last week or so. Maenwhile there is a lcal case of Covid in Qld, some bloke has been wandering around for a week and become infected. It is not over yet.

I wonder what the real state of play is. We are told that the vaccination will not stop us getting the virus, but will reduce the symptoms, so it will reduce the load on the hospital system. OK we get the virus and the virus gets fed and a chance to mutate into a more deadly form. Does that mean that getting us all vaccinated is a really good idea?

• Like 1

How can we as ordinary people know? You have to rely on the experts from all places. Britain has a lot of  shots to draw experience from. I wouldn't take any notice of Clive Palmer as he has a vested interest in selling stuff and always looking after Clive.. The virus mutates in people. No doubt long term the vaccines may have to be modified  (as flu ones have been for years). Long term effects of Covid are not fully understood but can be serious, so it's not JUST a matter of recovering/surviving. either. Nev

Two weeks before our medical Centre gets their supply of the Covic vaccine  ( just had the Flu shot, next the ' Wue Flu vaccine ' shot ).

BUT

If it doen,t stop us Getting WueFlu, we are fooling ourselves, into believing we can let the hoards of Unwashed in, & not having problems, with all those Sickies, we will be taking.

spacesailor

I heard Tony Blair, I think, last week or the week before provide BoJo a thinly veiled defence amongst the criticism of his handling of Covid. He lamented it was unfortunate that Britain couldn't apply the same controls as Australia, "... but Australia can't keep its borders closed forever!".

Well, my immediate respose is "Why not?!?" After all goods can flow freely to and from; the internet allows reliable communications by video conference and virtual offices, with information sharing almost as good as it gets in the office. We even have our virtual water-cooler chats! So, Australia can keep its borders closed (except to Aussies, of course!). However, it is not without its cost; many tourist businesses will go bust? Well, yes, but if w all start holidaying at home, then that will alleviate some of the problem - meaybe leaving the exotic resorts that rely on high-rolling internaitonal visitors with a headache. I know my brother had to adjust his holiday plans this year - normally they take a coastal holiday let anywhere between Lakes Entrance and Merimbula.. this year, because the prices were a bit higher, they had to go inland.

That's the theory, however, in reality, the world is still small and people will want to come and go. I was speaking to a recruitment agent in Aus that I know from here, and the lack of local qualified techhies combined with the inability to import them is starting to bite and cause some issues both in established and fledgling industries. But, I don't think it is the migrants (temp or permanent) that will be the issue re Covid - because they are coming over for more than a few weeks, it is practical to apply the same controls as today - quarantine, etc, subject to capacity (we can talk purpose built facilities and a tax for migrants to pay for it - but you get the idea).

For holiday makers, or short term business travellers, it is a different issue.. I'll have to think a bit harder on that one..