COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Interesting that the press has gone from saying the U.K. is the first country in the world to roll out the Pfizer vaccine publicly (true), to now saying it's the first country to start public vaccinations (untrue IMO). The Russian Federation started public vaccinations last Friday, four days before Britain. It could be the usual press Russophobia refusing to acknowledge anything from that part of the world. Or the Brits might be using a technicality to stake the claim. They've vaccinated front line workers and started on the elderly over 80's. Russia has said front line health workers would be first to receive the jab, so possibly they haven't started on the elderly yet. It could be argued essential health workers don't fall into the public category. Maybe the Brits, by starting on some old people, have truthfully got one up on those pesky Russkis.

Hang in there.

After my first hernia, and surgery, I asked my surgeon why didn't he do both sides, since this is due to a symmetrical design flaw of the human body. That is, the same weakness exists on both sides of the groin. He said, he repaired one side because it was the only one that had failed. I was annoyed.

Two months later, the other side herniated (big time) so I went back and asked him to fix it under warranty.

He didn't care about my claim. I think he needed to pay for his biennial.

It knocked my energy levels down during recovery. Hang in there, it can improve.

For me eventually things worked out.

Hopefully yours will too.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

I don't know where Red got those graphs,but they don't show what is happening. The USA is racing away with a total of more deaths in the last day than the next 5 hardest hit countries. A short while ago India was within half a million of the number of cases in the USA. Now the USA has pulled ahead to over 6 million more than India. I think Trump has lost the plot and considers having the most cases and deaths as being in control.

• Like 1

Yenn, the graphs were from the Facebook Covid-19 page, and said they were updated 19 before. Probably a bit oler than that.

One of the graphs you don't want to be at the top of. Interesting to see Aus listed as no. 95. Also showing Vic as flatlined. Now 41 days with zero cases.

News on the vaccine front today is that U.K.'s AstraZeneca is going to team up with Russia's Gamaleya Institute in a new experimental trial. Word is that AstraZeneca will use one of the Sputnik V vectors in combination with their own single vector vaccine. The SputnikV vaccine is claimed to give immunity in the mid 90's of percentage points and AstraZeneca's in the 70's.

The makers of the Sputnik vaccine have previously said that a two shot vaccine using different vectors has proven effective. AstraZeneca's vaccine, as I understand it, is two shots of a single vector. It looks like AstraZeneca's recent findings of higher immunity due to an accidental lower first dose might have got them interested in trying other ways. That and the investment factor of trying to stay in the race with currently lower immunity figures than the others.

Maybe we'll get part of the Sputnik jab after all. One shot from the Pommy Bastards and the other from those darned pesky Ruskis😀

Edited by willedoo

• 2 weeks later...

More news on the Russian Sputnik V vaccine. They've finally revealed that the 'V' stands for Victory (over the disease). The whole world will be relieved to hear that one as I'm sure everyone has been on the edge of their seats waiting for that revelation.🤢

Argentina is the first Latin American country to register the Sputnik V vaccine, authorising its emergency use. 300,000 doses have already arrived in the country as part of a 10 million dose deal. Meanwhile, the developers have said they plan to develop a Sputnik lite. It will be a single shot using only one of the two vectors and meant for emergency shorter term immunity. They've likened it to a flu jab that only lasts for that winter season. The reasoning behind it is that it will be useful in countries like Africa where storage and transportation would be a lot easier with a single dose vaccine. I'd imagine the logistics of getting people back for a follow up jab in those countries would be difficult.