COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

but I was surprised to find it's 3 mths before she has the 2nd jab.

I have had a look into this and as far as I can tell it would seem that 12 weeks is the optimal time between doses.   I was interested to know whether 12 weeks was based on what was optimal or whether it was influenced by vaccine supply.

I had my first dose 3 weeks ago and the only side effect was a sore arm which actually for an hour or so got quite sore.   Knowing the protection that even just the first dose gives is pretty reassuring.

I am 59 so if I had not already had the first AS vax I would be entitled to Pfizer but will happily get the second AZ.    Of course the blood clot thing is relevant but looking at the odds it does not bother me in the slightest.   People generally are not good at understanding probabilities.    

Hopefully enough people will get vaccinated  before a variant comes along that is not covered by the vaccines we have.    

• Like 2

Originally, the recommended interval between jabs was 8 weeks, but balancing the requirement to get more of the population its initial jab versus less of the population inoculated at all while others got their second jab, the UK government decided to, with clinical consultation, extended the time between jabs to 12 weeks. They found that the increased time between jabs improved the immunity system response, and the first jab was effective enough.. so it was taken out to 12 weeks.

I was supposed to go into London today to meet for the first time co-employees since I started 6 months ago. I was going to drive (c. 3.5 hours into central London) and park close to the office as I wasn't too happy with the idea of sharing a train - although my partner and I are inoculated, both the girl (14 and boy (18) aren't, and with teh Delta variant being not too king to your ones, decided against it.

I had my first jab last Thursday - Pfizer (I'm 49).  

Zero side effects, didn't even feel the needle.

I was waiting for the government to pull its finger out but finally got jack of it and found a link to a Tasmanian vaccination website which allowed me to book in despite being under 50.  

Would have quite happily had AZ instead but Pfizer was what they used, so happy with that too.

The gap between for Pfizer is only 3 weeks, some people have said that the second shot is where you get the side effects, so may feel that a bit more.

Had my first AZ jab on 8 April and due for the second on 1 July. I'm 76. Had no side effects.

As for other aspects of Covid-19, the Men's Sheds have been cleared to re-open with certain limits on numbers attending, but that doesn't appy to our shed because it is funded and run by a community health organisation and they are holding off for some reason. Discrimination I  say.

WELL !.

Now it seems that having two shots will NOT be enough to travel, anywhere.

Government Beauacrats are NOT even allowing people to visit dying parents. (  with full immunity & negative results).

SO

Why get those iffY AZ jabs.

Because Qantas needs to earn money,  and they push this government to do what they want !.

Will we be allowed to have mixed vaccine,s  !.

NO WAY

To many AZ doses  to waste on us fools.

Two AZj jabs, and the third, another brand.

NOT if this governmen has it,s way.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed letter

21 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Now it seems that having two shots will NOT be enough to travel, anywhere.

I am not sure what you are referring to, could you be more specific?

Government Beauacrats are NOT even allowing people to visit dying parents. (  with full immunity & negative results)

Again where is this coming from?

Why get those iffY AZ jabs.

Firstly I wouldn't call it iffy. Most medications we take have some side  effects.  The smart thing to do is to weigh up risks and benefits.  The risk of CVT is low. There are risks of CVT from a long haul flight.  Whilst I probably would prefer the Pfizer I am not worried about getting my second AZ.   I put the risk in perspective just like for example the risk of flying a light plane.

On the benefit side the vaccine means that my chance of contracting corvid is much smaller and more importantly if I do catch the chance of me getting seriously ill is almost zero.     We are in a risky period at the moment in that whilst we still have large numbers of unvaccinated people the chance of new variants is likely.

Edited by octave
  • Like 2

One person flew to Melbourne,  but was denied travel to WA to see his dying parent !.

Second one, on this mornings news, A son & wife both have had their full vacination,s, & have tested negative . ( in Sydney ).

And yet have been refused travel, to see his dying father in Queensland.

Again on the news, with  a public PLEA, !.

For mercy.

spacesailor

6 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

One person flew to Melbourne,  but was denied travel to WA to see his dying parent !.

Whilst that may seem harsh it must be weighed up against the risk of causing an outbreak in a state that currently is essentially corvid free.      I do understand the situation because my father died last august in Adelaide.  I was not able to travel to his funeral but I certainly understand why and accept that sacrifices sometimes have to be made for the common good.   I accepted that coming from Melbourne which was in full lockdown at the time and attending a funeral in Adelaide (which was covid free) would expose others to risk.    This funeral was attended by many older vulnerable folk who I would have been endangering.   Sure I could have been tested before hand but we well know from people released from quarantine with a negative test that there is a lag.

15 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

A son & wife both have had their full vacination,s, & have tested negative . ( in Sydney ).

I don't know the exact details of this case but we do know that as I pointed out above that there is a lag between a negative test and certainty that you are negative.   We also know that being vaccinated does not give you total immunity, you can still get a milder infection and we cant be certain yet of the probability of passing it on to others who have not been vaccinated.     Funerals are tricky.  I watched my fathers funeral on a live stream and I noticed how many older vulnerable folk were hugging and kissing fortunately there was no covid in Adelaide and no visitors who could have introduced it to this state and this vulnerable crowd.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't contract the virus (albeit with milder effects) and then pass it on.

So I'd expect travel restrictions to stay in place until the vast majority of adults are vaccinated.  Then we will just live with the virus like any other cold or flu, and because of high vaccination numbers it won't cause mass outbreaks and serious illness.

• Agree 1

The current resurgence of covid cases in Moscow has been blamed on lack of precautions being taken by the public and also on vaccine hesitancy. Despite having one of the world's safest and most effective vaccines, there has been a disappointing rate of uptake by the public. Their government doesn't seem to have fared any better than ours in getting a consistent, coherent message across. I think a big part of the problem worldwide has been inconsistent messaging. Too many contradictory statements have spooked people. Governments really need to look at their messaging on the vaccine rollout. They can only blame the people for so long before they have to take some responsibility themselves.

In other developments, media reports from Indonesia are indicating that the Sinopharm vaccine is not performing well in regard to vaccinated people contracting covid.

• Informative 1

WELL ,!

If you & too many other,s,  Don,t get it.

IT wil become a Crime, with more revenue raising.

Just like  the those traffic lights, were they are now 4 seconds before a fine !.

$ 500 for a 0.4 seconds of red,  thats a blink of your eyes.

(  at the light when it turn amber ) only a metre to go, and be over.

Serves me right for driving too slow.

spacesailor

14 hours ago, onetrack said:

I reckon getting that Astra and Zeneka would almost certainly kill me!! :cheezy grin:

10 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Well, that would protect you from infection, I guess.. :whistling:

To put context in my post - apols fellas.. Thought OTs was the last post in the thread when I posted...

Thats a lot of posts - do we get a watch?

• Like 1

The vaccine efficacy rate (90% or 70% depending on the particular vaccine) refers to the reduction in the chances of getting covid if exposed to it.    If you are one of the small number who do get it in spite of being vaccinated you have a near 100% chance of not getting a severe case and  ending up in hospital.     My understanding is that if you do get it, it will be mild and therefore your viral load will be much lower.  This should mean that you are less contagious.     But the most important thing to think about is that so far the vaccines are to a greater or lesser extent effective against the Delta variant which is good news but whilst covid is still spreading amongst the unvaccinated it is almost certain that new strains will occur and they could be more  resistant to vaccines.  

• Agree 2

It's looking like we won't have to worry about AstraZeneca safety much longer anyway. Federal modelling is forecasting AZ phased out in the last quarter as most in the over 60 age group would be vaccinated by then. Forecasts put the number of doses per week supplied by October as minimum 1.7 million doses of Pfizer and 430,000 Moderna doses.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-23/gov-projects-little-need-for-astrazeneca-after-october-covid19/100239442

• Agree 1