COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

All the best to your wife, Peter.. she has been through a lot....

I made the decision yesterday to keep the daughter home from school. There are currently 60 active cases with students from her school. They have put all the classes on teams and have decided it is the parents' decision. My partner wasn't too impressed, but with active community transmissions skyroketing, UK deaths pushing 200/day and for some reason, this part of the world doing worse on a per capita basis than most in the UK, I didn't think it was prudent to send her in to school.

WIth each passing day since "freedom day", as BoJo calls it, the numbers are getting worse. The population is getting more lax, and one wearing a mask is a relatively rare sight.. Even I have thought, "stuff it" as I relaised I was entering a shop without a mask - too carefree to walk to 10 metres back to the car to get it. I still wear it, even in public in London, but I am of a scarcer set of people.. There is also now a subliminal pressure to take it off as people give you a curious glare as you walk past them with the mask on.

Australia is about to open up, state by state, as the vax rates get to 70 - 80%. That is still 20 - 30% of the population unvaccinated (or partially vaccinated) and it doesn't reduce transmissability of the Delta variant. Apparently there is a strain of the Delta variant that is in the UK, that is looking like it is even more tranmissable.

The UK had the best COVID numbers of western Europe during the early stages of the pandemic, but now has the worst. When a pollie says it's OK because the rate iof deaths is lower than the peak, a shamefull 1,000+ a day, the pollie forgets there are 200+ families a day unnecessarily grieving.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/20/uk-doctors-call-for-return-of-covid-restrictions-new-mutation-watched.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

I am convinced the politicians care little about the deaths and suffering from the spread of COVID. Their masters are the leaders of industry and commerce, and the economy and making money, assumes the greatest priority in their plans, as compared to saving the lives of sick people. They have the attitude the population can reproduce rapidly, and eliminating the "unhealthy" is a big cost saving to the Govt coffers. In addition, I believe BoJo has about as much leadership ability as Trump, he's a dithering boofhead.

• Agree 3

There's remarkable similarities. Poorleen loves Trump too.. Sco Mo is $#!tt!ng Me off with his dishonest turning of the question around to heap on Labor with no right for them to address the Lies. QT is farcical and would put any thinking person OFF politics. Who they are appealing to would need to have an IQ below 30. to swallow any of it. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Going a little off the COVID track (prob should post in the SFM thread) that since the election has neared, how suddently, SFM is all a bit more green with his claimed policies and achievements. The press lap it up, too (except ABC). The press here was how good Australia does with it green industries, despite him not deciding to the last minute to attend COPED (or whatever it is called). Just more lies and spin... You have an election coming up.. get the BS deflectors on now...

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The election is more important than ANYTHING with Morrison. They used to say "Don't get between ABot and the LODGE . IF HE (Morrison) ran the country properly THAT would get him re elected.

Nev, I believe that to be true. During his whole time at the helm, his primary focus has been to take disasters of his own making and try to turn them around into another election win. Stuff governing the country, just win another election. that's all that matters.

After making a complete goose of himself during the fires, he would have seen covid as an opportunity to make the punters think black is white and re-elect the clowns for another term in the circus.

• Agree 1

Lucky for him, unlike Trump, he had state leaders who by and large were trying to do the right thing (Gladys excepted in the Delta wave). So he will be able to say he did good, while appeasing the anti-vaxxers with his original stance.

Sadly, the bulk of the electorate have short memories and poor predictive capabilities. Sadly, the opposition fields leaders that indicate it desires to remain in opposition. Sadly most people would rather have crap leadership than trust the other side with a shot at it.

It is exactly the same here (except for the "state" leaders showing any competence with respect to COVID)

• Agree 1
  • Sad 2

Melbourne's lockdown ended overnight - well, sort of. There are still limitations.  Not that it does me any good. Still in quarantine. Not free till the wife gets the all clear. What a way to spend your birthday. At least the sun is shining, but more rain expected around 6 pm.

• Sad 1

I got another Great Grandson,  for my birthday present! .

I,ve yet to get away from Covid Sydney to see 2 ( two ) Great grandchildren.

AND

Yes lv,e lost count of the number of offspring,

WAS

15 then 1 or 2, now another 2 !, so could be 19 Great Grandchildren.

Or

l may have  missed one. LoL

spacesailor

• Like 2

Back to covid-19............

Rejoice, for it's all over!

The english leaders said so, the USA leaders said so, and now Our leaders have said so.

The world has gotten over covid-19. (Please don't be concerened by the false news that claims the USA had over 2000 covid deaths yesterday. Ignore 1.5 million covid current cases in UK.)

Thanks to the love and care shown by our government, we can all sleep safe in our beds, throw away our masks, and close this thread.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Booked your flights, yet, Jerry?

November 6, I will find out!

(Daughter decides, believe it or not!)

Actually, I will email the ol' flight centre today (with explicit instructions only on airlines that continued to fly to Aus during the pandemic)...

However, my guess is that prices will not yet drop. One of the reasons for wanting to open up Aus is that the second or third largest industry - education wealthy SE Asian students is beconing, and that will mean the airfares will probably stay high until Feb/March, and sadly, rents which are at almost all time lows, will increase (not selling our home and assets here just yet).

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

I wish you called 'sarcastic!'

I'm just pee'd off Pete. All this "Out of lockdown" is just so much nonsense. Is of no interest to me. Racing out to get drunk at 11:59, queuing in the early hours for a haircut, women racing to get their nails done like it's the end of the world. Spoiled self-centred ratbags, the lot of them. I'm stuck here at home, still in quarantine, had a test yesterday to see if I am clear, no response 30 hours later, may not hear till Monday. The missus in hospital, what an idyllic way to spend a birthday. TV is absolutely shyte, nothing on the net.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Call me a grumpy old grinch if you like, but I cannot get over the stupidity of many Victorians. We still have new infections running at 1800 - 2000 per day, and here they are out in their hundreds, carrying on like ratbags with not a mask in site. Give it a week and infections could exceed 3000 per day. See also my comment in the anti-vaxxer thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1