COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Talk about mixed messages.

First, my apologies if I am drawing this out, but it gives some idea of the craziness in this state.

I tested positive for covid on 10 Oct, meaning I was in quarantine till 24 Oct. On 21 Oct, I got a phonecall from NorthEastern Health to say that quarantine requirements for double vaxxed people was reduced to 7 days, and I would receive new directions by text. Just to be sure, I had another test done on 21 Oct. At around 10.30 pm on 23 Oct, I got a text message saying my test was positive, and I had to enter 14 quarantine. This morning, (24 Oct), I received a text from Health Victoria thanking me for completing the 14 days quarantine (from the 10/10 test), and I was now free to leave the house.

Very confusing.  

9 minutes ago, Fliteright said:

Well that’s the messages of the draconian rulers you worship!😉

OK Fliteright. As a Moderator, I gave you a subtle warning only a couple of hours ago to ease up on your content. I had to approve the above post simply to let everyone know why I am posting this. You want draconian? I'll give you draconian. One more snide or belligerent posting and I will ban you for a time. 

The post would have gone through without comment but for the last two words, which fired a shot at Red

1 hour ago, red750 said:

First, my apologies if I am drawing this out, but it gives some idea of the craziness in this state.

You don't have to apologise, it's always good to get things of your chest, especially when things are tough in our lives.

Dealing with bureaucrats at any time is frustrating, but in trying times they seem beyond understanding and that just adds to the stress. Sadly there's nothing much you can do, other than hang in and try to get some sense from them. Maybe sending their correspondent to someone superior, or even the press may get some positive outcome for you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not sure if you would call this a positive side effect or not. Before I had the pacemaker battery replaced, I weighed 127 kg. After the loss of appetite, etc., associated with covid, I weighted myself a couple of days ago, and I was 118 kg. The (electronic) scales may be on the blink.

• Informative 1

Was going to edit the typo, but that would make your comment pointless. I'm not the greatest touch typist, and make many mistakes. Usually I pick up the errors when I proof-read.

Another not-so-positive result of this virus, or rather Daniel Andrews way of running things, is that anyone working in the office requires a weekly work permit. To avoid the administrative workload, how long for I don't know, my son is working from home again. That means closing off sections of the house to keep noises down, keep the perpetually meowing cat from roaming around, and secluding my wife, just out of hospital, in the loungeroom, as he takes over the family room. Access to the kitchen is limited. No TV for us during working hours. Here again is the temporary office set-up where he handles his customer service calls. The box on the small table supports the mouse-pad.

1573932011_workfromhome.thumb.JPG.6ea4503e4dabda96a30c6e4739e888c8.JPG

PS. It appears that although the state has opened up for unlimited travel, retail shopping, sporting events, etc., it is still necessary to have a work permit to work in an office in the city. It was believed that a permit would not be available until after the Melbourne Cup long weekend, which is why my son is working from home today. He received a call from his boss advising that a permit had been received, so he will return to the office from tomorrow. As the Cup Day holiday applies only to metropolitan Melbourne, and his call centre covers all of Australia, he has to work Cup day.

19 hours ago, red750 said:

As the Cup Day holiday applies only to metropolitan Melbourne, and his call centre covers all of Australia, he has to work Cup day.

That is a bummer...

I remember when I lived in Brissie in the mid 90's, theystopped around 1pm or thereabouts to watch the cup at the office and then off to the pub... I guess with today's need to squeeze everything they can from employees that pratice has stopped?

Two distinct side effects from contracting the virus - tiredness and loss of weight. I have mentioned them before.

Whenever I sit down in front of the telly, waiting for a program to start, I fall asleep and wake up halfway through it or miss it altogether. I get very tired researching the aircraft profiles and posting them. My wife, who copped it worse than the rest of us, spends about half the day asleep. My son dozed off last night without setting his alarm, and woke up too late to go to work, so is working from home again today.

As for losing weight, I can now take in the belt on my trousers two holes, approximately two inches.

(PS: Total profiles now 1055.)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, red750 said:

Two distinct side effects from contracting the virus - tiredness and loss of weight. I have mentioned them before.

Whenever I sit down in front of the telly, waiting for a program to start, I fall asleep and wake up halfway through it or miss it altogether. I get very tired researching the aircraft profiles and posting them…

Red I really appreciate your Aircraft Profiles work; there are some amazing planes and most of them I’d never heard of. I’m surprised you can keep that project going so soon after battling the damned virus. Pace yourself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Here's the voice of experience for all you guys.

Covid 19 knocks the stuffing out of you. We have 6 steps at the back of the house, from the back yard up to the patio. Climbing those stairs, pulling myself up using the metal handrail/balustrade, and I am stuffed.

All I want to do is lay down and have a sleep. Sit in an armchair in front of the telly at any time of the day, and I drift off into  deep sleep and may not wake for a couple of hours, unless I'm called. Last night, I dozed off straight after dinner and woke at midnight. Took my tablets and got into bed, went straight to sleep.

I could post this in Gripes, but here will do.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

The now 3 of my 5 team members who have contracted it all complained of fatigue. One who is very fit had fatigue for a couple of days; the other two had it each for about 5 days (both around 40 years of age) My manager has been off work for now 5 weeks and was back last week (I was on hols), but under strict instructions of no talking still. It completely beat her up. I would say she his low-mid 40s and also seems reasonably fit.

We are still getting c. 35k new cases a day and death rates are rising.. very close to 200/day. Health officials are starting to ask for tighter restrictions - UK is now 3x the COVID cases and deaths than the average on the continent (60m v 200m+ population, so on a per capita basis, make that 9x worse). The continent still require basic restrictions - wearing masks, social distancing, and I think vaccination passports to go to events. The UK does not, and, while I personally still maintain basic measures, only a handful now do. Only see staff in shops with masks on, for example. Yesterday, I asked a person behind me to give me space, "as I am vulnerable" I got a look that could kill but she begrudgingly stepped back.

I read on ABC's website last night that re-opening of schools is haphazard due to kids getting infected.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

How many dead people a day is acceptable?. (Pretty GRIM topic I reckon)  BUT, T ABot said the older folks have had a good innings and should just accept it.   HE's another BLOKE who doesn't GET it but that doesn't stop him being vocal whenever he can manage it. Now "working" with the IPA funded by "unknown" wealthy donors including Australia's richest person, to decide the LieNP policies.... Economy Vs peoples lives. Economy WINS. Nev 

Edited by facthunter

9 hours ago, facthunter said:

Economy Vs peoples lives. Economy WINS.

Too right!

This is they way it has always been. If you think about what most wars are about, what is the cost of a war?

But even simpler than that.. who cares if foods have carcinogens, etc.. If we can get our profits faster, then a few people dying later won't hurt... our litigation risk!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Back to topic....

Notice the media has repeatedly Trumpeted the statistics of vaccination percentages but failed to inform the public how many covid cases we currently have.

Ask anyone and they have no idea. Over 21,000 current cases. Only 150 are "serious or critical".

If thats what we have with restricted travel, etc, what can we expect after the starting gates open next month? The Qld Health boss quietly warned of at least 500 new cases per day. With the present mortality of 1%, she is really saying that the best case guess is 5 extra dead people PER DAY.

So it seems that at least 450 unnecessary deaths in the first quarter of 2022 is quite ok?

• Like 2
  • Informative 1