COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

The QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute has estimated 200 deaths in Queensland in the first three months after opening up, and that's before the expected peak in the middle of 2022. In Queensland, we've had one death in the last twelve months. QIMR's estimates work out at about two point something per day. I guess from those figures you could estimate the number in hospital and numbers in ICU.

It seems like all the state governments and the feds have decided enough is enough; just let it rip. If their holy grail of 80 or 90 percent vaccination rate is our saviour, then how come they are going to accept infection and mortality numbers like that. Aren't those the sort of numbers they were telling us was the reason for lockdowns and restrictions to prevent that happening? And also the reason for everyone to get the jab.

It just seems odd that now in Queensland they make a big thing of one community case and jump on it as quick as they can, while the premier is telling us get the jab now because when they open up it will be rife in the community.

• Agree 2

I rather hope the Berghoffer estimate is more accurate. I was quoting State CMO Dr Jeanette Young's numbers from an ABC article.....

"Dr Young said the worst-case scenario showed the state would reach 1,200 cases a day next year.

But she said she didn't believe such high numbers were likely and predicted case numbers would peak at 400 a day."

Either way, we are going from headline news for single cases, to silently accepting hundreds of deaths.And the number of current cases Australia wide came from "Worldometer" website which updates daily.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

If more people knew that we have over 20,000 active cases, today, they might take it more seriously

7 hours ago, nomadpete said:

If more people knew that we have over 20,000 active cases, today, they might take it more seriously

In the latest reporting period for NSW, one of the seven deaths was a 30 year old unvaccinated male with no underlying health problems. There's quite a bit of that happening where relatively young, fit people are dying from the disease. If people were made more aware of that, it would be a good thing in regard to taking it seriously.

We still haven't got a permanent CMO in Queensland yet. Dr. Young was sworn in as state governor a week ago and the bloke who was replacing her pulled out at the 11th. hour due to health issues. They're still looking for a replacement, so it looks like the temporary CMO is not going to take it on permanently for whatever reason.

The original idea of the lockdowns was to stop the hospitals being overhelmed. The idea of high vaccination rates is to lessen the effects of getting the virus, so that the hospitals will not be overwhelmed. It isn't working in Qld because we have so many anti vaxxers. It looks as if the state is going to open up and then those anti vaxxers will possibly get as serious dose of the illness. Qld hospitals will be in disarray, they have very little ICU capacity, in fact I hear that there is no capacity in Gladstone, which is a reasonable sized city with a lot of international shipping coming and going.

I must say I am not going to shed any tears over those who refuse the vaccination and then suffer from their stupidity. It is just sad that they will be clogging the hospitals and possibly causing problems for those who have done the right thing.

• Agree 4

Hope he pulls through OK.. People forget that Delta ins't quite as disciminating in favour of the young as previous variants.

I was reading in The Age this article https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/inside-sunshine-hospital-covid19-icu-ward-20211106-h1zmwd.html.

Amazing how people who are skeptical of the vaccine aske for it when they are knocking on heaven's door. More amazing and alarming are those, that when confronted with stark and irrefutable evidence, still dismiss COVID as a hoax.

• Like 1

I don't want any visitors who haven't done the shots. Is THAT reasonable or not?  The PLAN has forced us into that position of reliance on  Vaccines  . Being through so may required vaccines in the Past I believe it's par for living in a moblie dense population   Jet planes take BUGS anywhere in the world in 30 hours and most forms of  MASS transport are good at spreading stuff.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 09/11/2021 at 7:07 AM, Jerry_Atrick said:

Amazing how people who are sceptical of the vaccine aske for it when they are knocking on heaven's door.

There are no atheists in foxholes.

On 08/11/2021 at 5:00 PM, Yenn said:

I must say I am not going to shed any tears over those who refuse the vaccination and then suffer from their stupidity.

I'm with you on that one. 

What age group do these anti-vaxxers belong to? I'll wager that they are all under 40 years old. That means that they have never heard of small pox, which was eradicated by 1980 through vaccination. They would have received their polio vaccination as a mewling babe in arms. Now their Smartphones put them in touch with the sensationalists who publicise the one in a hundred thousand cases of reaction to a virus, so they just "know as fact" that vaccination will lay them low with lifelong disabilities. But without vaccination that "lifelong" won't be long.

What annoys me more is the refusal of so many footballers, who are called "role models for our young" are refusing to get a jab. It's easy to see, especially in Rugby League, that these young men are all brawn and no brain. Why don't the administrators deal out some hefty fines to these overpaid Nancy boys for the sin of bringing the Game into disrepute?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

BUT

Please tell me " how to get our children to get it done".

I don,t want to be that 'old grouch ' nagging them ?.

' my funeral should be before any of my kids !.

They are just like me at that age.  Invunrable! .

I get any jab the doctor say,s I may need.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed word
  • Like 1

No good talking to those people, they will not listen to reason. I reckon they will learn, but it may be the hard way and that will affect all of us.

I read a Nexus magazine from the library recently and it was all about how bad the vaccine was. There were quotes from several doctors and scientists, but what stood out was that each doctor had his full life resume and lists of his achievements, which took up many column inches, then a very short quote against vaccines, which looked as if it could have been taken out of context. This was the same for every one of the quoted experts.

• Informative 1

Spare a thought for New Guinea, with 2% fully vaccinated.

Apparently there's a lot of vaccine hesitancy because of some truly bizarre misinformation (this is from an Australian doctor working over there, by the way, so it's first hand) - one conspiracy theory doing the rounds is that people who take the vaccine will die 3 years later, another one is that it turns your arm magnetic.  Really???  Said bullsh*t being spread by the more fundamentalist churches, apparently.

• Agree 1

I have found the age spectrum of the anti-vaxxers is not confined to under-40's. Nor is it confined to "blue-collar" workers who are often poorly educated. 

SWMBO has a lady friend, a white Zimbabwean ex-pat around 70, and she's an especially highly skilled geologist.

But she comes straight from the Trump supporters camp, and starts raving about the COVID-19 vaccines, with a special kind of right-wing "freedom-loving" rant.

SWMBO says she rapidly gets tired of her anti-vax, "Nazi Govts" rants, and has to ensure she ends the conversation and steers her onto less rabid ground.

Meantimes - I've been flattened by my reaction to the 2nd jab of Moderna. I got up early this morning because I had a heap of important work to do, packaging up multiple parts and components I'd sold on eBay. But by lunchtime, I felt like a flat tyre, I was absolutely dragging my arse. I was aching and dog-tired, and I struggled to complete my tasks and drop the items off at freight depots.

I got home around 5:00PM and had a shower and went straight to bed. I slept for over 2.5 hrs and I've just got up to have a cup of tea, and a slice of toast. I don't feel like dinner at all, and I reckon I'll be back in bed again shortly. I took a couple of Nurofen to see if they help, the doc advised to take a couple of painkillers, if I felt a bit knocked around. Hopefully I'll feel a lot better tomorrow.

I had a 130km road trip (260km return) to the country, planned for tomorrow - but I've canned it, because I certainly don't feel up to it, right now.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

I've been flattened by my reaction to the 2nd jab of Moderna

19 minutes ago, red750 said:

That's very similar to my reaction after the second AZ jab

And yet I got nothing like that from either of my AZ jabs. It just goes to show that there is a lot of individual variation in the population.

Now here's a question for the Baby Boomers: Did you ever have an anti-tetanus injection when you were a kid? Did you ever react to it?

Back then, anti-tetanus serum was made by injecting tetanus into horses and drawing off their blood to separate the serum, which had the anti-bodies to fight the tetanus bacteria, from the cells. Then the serum was injected. For the majority of people there was no adverse reaction, but I nearly died from anaphylactic shock. So would it be reasonable for me to preach that similarly produced vaccines are likely to kill you? Nowadays, anti-tetanus vaccines are made without resorting to horses, so I can safely get them.

• Informative 1

I've never had any problems with all the vaccines I've had - but I don't recall ever getting an anti-tetanus shot. In the Army, I got vaccinated for every disease under the sun, particularly all the S.E. Asian tropical diseases. This was SOP for all troops going to S.E. Asia.

I must get out my military vaccination card again and study it, to see what I did get. I've often wondered if there's any residual effect from the vaccines I got, after more than 50 years.

Everything that I've read, says most vaccines ability to fight the disease is gone after 20 years. But some vaccines abilities last for life.

This huge variability in vaccination strength/lifespan still has scientists puzzled - they simply don't understand why some vaccines only have a short lifespan, and others last for multiple decades.

https://www.science.org/content/article/how-long-do-vaccines-last-surprising-answers-may-help-protect-people-longer

The good news is, the Nurofen worked, I went to bed at 10:00PM and slept well until 6:00AM, and I feel much better this morning.

• Like 2

Well, I dug out my old Army vaccination certificate, and I was surprised to find I got vaccinated for Smallpox (twice), Cholera (4 times), T.B. (once), Tetanus (3 times) and Plague (4 times).

This was all over the space of less than 2 years, between Sept 1969 and May 1971 - which when was when I had my last vaccination for Plague.

It appears that almost none of the vaccines would have any major effect, after more than 50 years. The average vaccine life is between 2 to 5 years, and booster shots are required regularly thereafter.

Interestingly, smallpox has been virtually eliminated from the world, with the last outbreak in 1977, and the W.H.O. declaring the disease totally eradicated in 1980.

• Informative 1

I was late to the party getting vaccinated, having had my second AZ shot 3 weeks ago. Originally I was hesitant of the AZ shot which was the only one available to my age group and was weighing up whether to wait till the others were available in October. I wasn't concerned about blood clots, but was wary of AZ because of the other less talked about serious side effect of Guillain Barre syndrome. What happens there is that your immune system starts to attack your peripheral nervous system. I already have peripheral neuropathy and didn't want to risk something which would make it much worse.

One of those cases where the old 'talk to your GP' thing wouldn't have helped as the authorities at the time still had little understanding of risks to certain groups. Then I got to the point where we were having outbreaks and snap lockdowns and restrictions, and I got to thinking how much of a dickhead I would feel if I ended up in IC with covid and wasn't vaccinated. So I took the risk and got it done. If Pfizer or Moderna were available to my age group, I would have got vaccinated right from the start.

The first AZ jab was ok. Slight tender spot in the arm at first. The first night, no symptoms. The second night, hard to tell. I went outside just before bedtime and felt a very slight chill. Went to bed and still felt a bit that way, but next day, no problems.

With the second jab, I still don't know if I had a slight Guillain Barre type reaction or not. For a week or 10 days I was getting more nerve problems than usual. Lots of electric shock type jabs all over the body and other weird things. But I still couldn't put it down to the vaccine, as I normally get that stuff anyway. If someone with no nerve neuropathy got those symptoms after the jab, then there would be a reasonable suspicion it was linked. In my case, I'm not a clean slate in the nerve damage department so it's too hard to tell. Things are back to normal now.

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 2