COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

Our boosters were Moderna. Minimal side effect. Wife had Covid Arm though. But that's probably just a little bruising. Glad to have had it. In spite of the official Covid experts telling us that Omni is mild, I' starting to wonder. A double vaxxed doctor friend has caught it and said 'If this is mild covid, I'd hate to get a serious one'. I have now heard 3 comments from people saying they don't know where they caught Covid, because they have not mixed closely with anybody - partner hasn't had it - so the current definition of 'close contact' is rubbish. Just walking past a infectious person is enough to give it to you, even if wearing a mask.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had heard of someone catching the original Covid just walking past an infected person in a shopping mall. As for my booster, no more painful than having a blood test, no after effects - so far - and not even a blood spot where the needle went in. Did not require a bandaid or any cotton wool on the site.

I think all the talk of Omicron being mild is wishful thinking at best and misleading at worst. The WHO is telling people to take it seriously and don't treat it lightly. Queensland opened up on the 13th. December and in that month we've had around 45 deaths. They don't tell us the stats on which strain was involved. Queensland has the highest percentage of Omicrom cases vs Delta. It was 80% Omicron, probably more now.

The government has shifted the narrative to the booster shot, emphasising that only one victim had a booster shot. I guess they don't want to alarm people by giving the stats on the number of double vaxxed people dying. Some people have had the attitude that it's only Omicron, I'll be alright, but I think maximum precaution is still needed.

All this was inevitable as we couldn't stay locked in forever. It just would have been better if the decision to open the border on 80% double vax  figures hadn't coincided with the Christmas/New Year period. We went from doughnut days to a plague in a very short time. With the holiday factor driving it, we had 250,000 people cross the border from infected areas in the first week.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Well, it looks like the Moderna booster has a delayed reaction.

I was fine yesterday, got up OK this morning and went up to the doctor's for an appointment, to get the results of some tests I had done last week.

Came home and felt a bit flat, decided to lay down for 10 - 15 minutes. Woke up 3 hours later, feeling a chill. Got up and had a sandwich at 2.30, sat in the armchair, dozed off and woke at 6.45 pm. Too late to start cooking so ordered a couple of pizzas. Went and picked them up, came home and could only eat 2 slices. Feel as weak as dish water. My daughter warned me I would need a couple of days to get over it.

• Informative 1

Peter - That's similar to my reaction to the 2nd dose of Moderna. Got the jab at 10:30AM on a Tuesday, felt quite good for all of the rest of Tuesday, and the first half of Wednesday, then I crashed and burnt mid-Wednesday afternoon.

I felt completely drained not long after lunch, I was trying to package up some parts on the Wednesday afternoon that I'd sold on eBay, and I was struggling to finish the packaging, and only just dragged myself over to the dropoff place for the courier at 5:00PM. I got home, showered, and went and laid down, and slept from 6:00PM to 8:30PM.

SWMBO woke me up then, I had tea, went back to bed shortly after tea, and slept until 6:45AM on the Thursday. I felt better on the Thursday, but I didn't indulge in anything really physical on the Thursday, I reckon I needed to be on "light duties", as they used to call it in the Army. 

I'm not sure what effect the booster will have on me, or what they plan to give me - Pfizer, I suppose. I didn't get the shots until November, so I'm not due for a booster until April or May. 

• Informative 1

It was like winning the lotto yesterday. I dropped into the pharmacy and they'd only just got their first rapid tests in. They were restricting them to one pack of two tests per person because of limited stock. Had to pay $30 for the two tests as that thing about pensioners getting ten free tests in a three month period is all a crock at this stage. The pharmacy said none of them have had any communications from the federal government about it.

• Informative 2

Who do you trust.? Words cost nothing but your reputation eventually. "I don't hold a HOSE Mate".. Clive's spending vast sums of money to make Craig Kelly your next Prime Minister. I can't see that happening but it helped Sco Mo get there last  time..THAT's DEMOCRACY according to Clive 80 Million... BUYS a lot of INFLUENCE but it's not One Person One Vote..Clive, HEALTH is more important than ANYTHING YOU have

A Morrison promise is valueless. . WE are ALL in this together.... Guided by medial advice. It's NOT a race. NSW IS the GOLD STANDARD.  Just a few weeks ago we were UP with the BEST. We gave Billions to well off people. WHAT was THAT for? We are now down with the worst  covid performers and over a trillion in debt. No doubt the POOR will end up paying for that If your lot have their way. The BLOOD out of a STONE Brigade. Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

There's a good article on the ABC as to how ScoMo's and Perrotet's "push through" policies are nothing short of a national disaster, and the long term effect is only going to be destruction of the thousands of small businesses that provide wealth and job creation for many Australians.

Big Business is relatively unaffected, because they have staffing levels that can cover shortfalls caused by COVID-19 absences.

The worrying part is that the Health authorities are saying that catching COVID-19 only gives you about 3 mths protection from re-infection - and that many people have a very high chance of being re-infected with COVID-19 again within a month.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-23/omicron-covid-spread-hits-australian-small-business/100772382

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 22/01/2022 at 1:36 PM, willedoo said:

They were restricting them to one pack of two tests per person because of limited stock. Had to pay $30 for the two tests

Can you explain to me the reason you, Willedoo, found it necessary to obtain RA test kits? Does it have something to do with your occupation, or your access to things like hospitals and such? I can't see that I have any need to be able to do a RA test, nor the other one.

People who wish to visit you, If they care about your welfare, may have them and IF they test positive,  not come near you for your sake till they prove safer. I think that's how it works.' IF you were feeling crook and went to hospital you would be tested as a matter of course  so those who look after you can take precautions.. I know you addressed willedo and I apologise if that is in any way  offensive. I intend no offense. Nev

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I intend no offense

No offence taken in relation to your posting your response, however, offence (with a “c”) is the preferred spelling in British English. If you find yourself writing to a primarily British audience, offence is the correct word choice. For example, Fowler’s Dictionary of Modern English Usage, a well-known British usage guide lists offence as the preferred word choice.

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

People who wish to visit you, If they care about your welfare, may have them and IF they test positive,  not come near you for your sake till they prove safer.

In that case, what test can a person take to ensure that they are not going to spread any number of other diseases to me? Many illnesses spread through indirect contact transmission. Examples are chicken pox, common cold, conjunctivitis (Pink Eye), Hepatitis A and B, herpes simplex (cold sores), influenza, measles, mononucleosis, Fifth disease, pertussis, adeno/rhino viruses, Neisseria meningitidis and mycoplasma pneumoniae.

I would appreciate someone's thoughtfulness in this matter, but I believe that constantly testing oneself in this way without symptoms is taking things well over the top. I am happy if you simply wear a mask.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

I would appreciate someone's thoughtfulness in this matter, but I believe that constantly testing oneself in this way without symptoms is taking things well over the top. I am happy if you simply wear a mask.

People keep the kit at home to only test if they are symptomatic. To test when non symptomatic is just a stupid wasteful act. If they have been out somewhere, come home and had symptoms, they can test and if positive, stay home and isolate so as not to infect others. If the test is negative, then it's most likely it's just a cold. In that situation, you can at least go out and buy some groceries, and if masked up, pose much less risk to other people.

I know people who have been at home with symptoms, no test kit, and not knowing whether or not they should leave the property.

Another point for having a kit or two on hand - if you did have some symptoms and wanted to know one way or another whether to isolate at home, you can test and do that. Without a test kit, you'd have to go to the chemist to get one while possibly symptomatic.

Edited by willedoo
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

One other reason I got the test kits is my recent need to go to the local hospital quite a bit for scans and appointments. At first I was a bit concerned about spending time there.I soon realised that the hospital has wide open spaces and with visitor numbers restricted, not many people for the amount of space. Plus everyone there is doing everything by the book, very carefully. It didn't take long to figure out a trip to the hospital is many times safer than a trip to the supermarket with it's narrow crowded spaces.

I disagree that testing when only symptomatic is wasteful as you can have the virus and be totally asymptomatic - in which case you can unknowingly pass it on... and even with Omicron, you can have it and be contagious before becoming symptomatic: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/how-long-are-you-contagious-with-omicron-covid-infection-heres-what-health-experts-say/2727655/

"The CDC says that its guidelines were updated to reflect growing evidence that suggests transmission of COVID-19 often occurs one to two days before the onset of symptoms and during the two to three days afterward. "

The timelines have shortened compared to original strains, though.

As usual, it is finding the right balance of when to test and when not to. We are required as part of company policy to test before we come to the office (we only go to the office 2 days a week when guidance is to go to the office). This to me, makes sense. I will be in a closed confined space with other people in close contact for most of the day.. it is my responsibility and theirs to make sure we don't bring COVID to the office.

If I am going to the shop (rarely do a big supermarket shop these days), if not symptomatic, I won't bother with the test as I am able to socially distance, wear a mask, sanitise hands , etc to reduce the risk.

If I go to visit someone, I generally won't test unless, for whatever reason, I know they are not vaccinated, or they have close contact with vulnerable people.. And since COVID, I think I will always be wearing as mask - people have asked me to keep it on... 😉

Yes, we can contract and spread other airborne diseases; they seem to be less prevalent and harder to catch (at the moment);

27 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I disagree that testing when only symptomatic is wasteful as you can have the virus and be totally asymptomatic - in which case you can unknowingly pass it on

Jerry, I'm guessing you mean 'I disagree that testing when only asymptomatic is wasteful'

In the future when we have plenty of kits, testing while asymptomatic won't be wasteful. But at the moment it is. The pharmacies will only sell us one box of two tests per person and tell us not to waste them as they don't know when they can get regular supply. At the moment, kits are as rare as rocking horse dung.

Edited by willedoo

Yes - I meant asymptomatic...

I understand they're rare in Aus at the moment (says he who has a box of 7 tests unopened, that were given to us by the kid's school, I think; we have yet to directly pay for one)... But again, waiting until you have the symptoms I think is still too late.. With respect to balance, if you have been at a low risk of being exposed and you are asymptomatic, then, yes, it is a waste in the circumstances, but if you have been out and about int he last couple of days, and are about to venture into the office for a day, I would think it would still not be a waste to test... even if asymptomatic.