COVID-19 Virus.

Phil Perry

There was a guy who wrote about trying to get official permission to join a gliding club in India when transferred from Australia. He started 18 months before the transfer and gave up before getting permission. He had a file of correspondence 5 inches deep.

He wrote up his experiences for the local gliding mag, and the message I got was that India got the worst of British bureaucracy and eastern officialdom, mixed all up. It is impossible to get anything done there, and I am amazed that they are doing as well as they are with manufacturing.

They are not the only lot...  I once read that even the Chinese gave upon the Iranians for the same reason.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Informative 1

They to to where they are because the total cost, including all of the inefficiency is* cheaper than doing it elsewhere. Otherwise market forces would direct resources elsewhere.

* is = perceived to be by the bean counters. Ask anyone who has managed an offshored low cost location software team..

• Like 1

Security , corruption, the legal system operating and social stability come into it also. Robotics cancel out low wages  Access to markets internet power  and electricity supply and raw materials reliability. Many considerations apply.    Self sufficiency/independence. Nev

• Agree 1

I can recall an episode many years ago, when the brother and SIL purchased a fine super-shiny stainless steel mixing bowl and left it on the back seat of their HR Holden sedan on a hot summers day - with some paperwork placed in the centre of the bowl.

When they returned to the car, they found the paperwork smouldering! The bowl had concentrated the suns rays in the centre, and had almost set fire to the paper!

There's also the story of the fancy curved-glass sheeted building in London that was melting the plastic trim on cars parked nearby, thanks to the concentration of the suns rays.

https://www.nbcnews.com/sciencemain/london-skyscraper-can-melt-cars-set-buildings-fire-8c11069092

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 5 months later...

Yes.. I hear Aus has already stopped publishing figures and the UK is about to follow suit. Things are getting lax, and I have to admit, I have even not been quite rigorous about it; we have the 4th and 5th jabs approved and I have yet to have either. 

Yesterday was eerily quiet. I don't normally go to London on Wednesdays, but when I do, it is usually much busier. The weather was cold, but not unusual for this time of year - was about zero Celsius, but not chilly.. I didn't need a coat. 

I take the Waterloo and City Line tube from Waterloo to Bank (of England) station.. and then the central line to Liverpool Street. At close enough to 7:30, one would expect the Waterloo and City Line tube to be rammed tight... sardines have it better. Yesterday, there were a few standing, but more seats were available than people standing. At the Bank platform to catch the central line, there was nary a soul waiting and the tube I got was virtually empty. At Liverpool Street at 7:45, bearing in mind, it one of the main stations the financial services bigger banks use, it was literally deserted.. there were probably less than 100 people on the concourse at the time. I didn't take photos in case anyone got offended, but I have been there early on a Sunday morning to get a train to Stansted airport and it was busier. 

Yes, lots of people have been killed thanks to the pandemic, but not many in the age group of those that frequent the work place. The office was dead (pardon the pun) quiet, yesterday. 

I am certainly not putting my money in a pension fund with a material exposure to CBD property at the moment.

• Informative 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Put a couple of Hotels on Mayfair and sit back and wait.  Long COVID may reduce the need for pension funds. Nev

I've been told that compulsory immunisation is what will cause that. And it's all a cunning plan by the government, to reduce the cost of age care.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

I've been told that compulsory immunisation is what will cause that. And it's all a cunning plan by the government, to reduce the cost of age care.

I trust you rejected that for the illogical nonsense it clearly is.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

It was sarcasm. Sadly, too many people are quick to believe unfounded conspiracies.

I was responding to Nev's suggestion that long covid might be reducing the need for pension funds  As yet, I have not heard any research confirms Nev's assertion that long covid is causing an uptick in premature deaths. So until there is proof of it happening, I will continue to class that assertion as an unfounded fear.

• Like 2