GRIPES

Phil Perry

• 2 weeks later...

How is it that you never consider the importance of parts of your body until an injury interferes with them? I've got a pretty badly lacerated right hand as as a result of separating my dog from another. It's been a week and the laceration have closed, but every time I go to use a screwdriver of spanner, the pressure involved is felt right on a big laceration at the base of my thumb.

• Sad 1

Is telling lies now become the standard practice in business, especially by those levels of business/customer interaction? How many times have you contacted some organisation, be it small, conglomerate or government in order to correct an error on their part and been told "I'll fix that for you now", only to have to make several more contacts before what you asked for is done?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Corporate greed is getting worse. I've long had .com domains hosted through GoDaddy.com. They used to be good, and you could get squillions of .com domains at budget prices. Lately, they have this new thing where if the domain name is catchy sounding, they class it as a premium domain and increase the fee x100 times or more.

These are domains you think up yourself - never been previously registered, and just because the AI software recognises it as a possible popular, catchy name, they charge $2,000 instead of $20. One example, anything with aero on the end of it has a purchase price in the thousands even though it's never existed previously. A couple of years ago, you could have got the same name for pocket money. A good example of a former good company turning into greedy bastards.

• Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Don't you hate it when things are not what they are advertised to be?

I bought some HDPE rod for a project. It was advertised as 20 mm diameter. While I was wanting for it to arrive by post, I made a tool to help me drill a straight hole down the lengths of rod. I grabbed my 20mm  Forstner bit and drilled a couple of nice straight holes through a bit of wood. When the rod arrived, I tested the fit. The damned stuff would not go through the hole. I measured the rod and found it was 21.21 mm in diameter. 

It shouldn't be a problem making a new tool, but having to do it is annoying. Will a 22 mm hole cut with a spade bit be too loose? The closest Imperial drill size is 27/32. That is 21.43 mm, and I don't have a 27/32 twist drill. Even if I bought one, my drill press chuck is too small to take the bit. I guess I'll have to hope that the gap of 0.4 mm all around the rod won't let it wobble off centre too much.

• Informative 1

My gripe is about how white " aborigines" have gone too far by banning bushwalking and climbing from big parts of the Grampians.

It is obvious why a calorie-deficient lot like the aborigines before white settlement should ban all non-essential exertion.

But these days, the quite white activists  are just sabotaging society because they can. Call them out, say I. What harm can possibly be done to an aborigine ( I dunno if there are any real aborigines in Victoria, the ones I knew in Alice Springs were black and on welfare ), by some silly whitefellers climbing a mountain? It's unlikely that their eyes will ever be worried by the sight, and if so, toughen up says me.

• Like 1

A few years ago mu wife and I were asked if we knew of any aboriginal artworks in a national park that we knew well. This was because the adjacent dam was going to be raised and they wanted to know if it would affect artwork.

When I explained that I didn't know of any art, but asked if I could come along on any exploratory trips the did. You would have thought I was asking to be given the keys to the crown jewels.

• Informative 1

Not really a gripe, more an observation.

How many exercise/gym machines are there? Every time you turn on the TV, someone has a new exercise machine to offer, variations on a theme. How many are stored under the bed collecting dust?

• Like 1

You have a different TV. Mine shows someone getting a Covid jab. I am happy that they seem to have stopped showing lots of little bottles on a conveyor, but it has been replaced by lots of cars in a queue lining up for Covid tests.

• Like 1

There are very few exercise machines stored under beds. They spend 99% of their life stored in the garage - then they get put out on the verge.

But no-one takes them away, not even the scrap men - unless it's a weight bench with a reasonable amount of cast iron components.

I have even seen silly people trying to sell them on Gumtree and eBay. I guess some of them got lucky, and found a sucker.

• Agree 1