GRIPES

Phil Perry

• 3 weeks later...

Why the f**k don't organisations employ people with an Australian accent. I just had a call from the Health Dept. about my positive test, but I could only understand 1 word in about 5. She had a strong Philippine or Indonesian accent. Bad enough with my deafness.

• Like 2

One of my many gripes is how thoughtless people block escalators. They shuffle onto the travelling stairs and then give up, as if the whole purpose of this million-dollar installation is to save them a bit of effort. Behind them, people like me with places to go, are stuck in a slow-motion traffic jam.

Many have so many effort-saving devices now that to achieve a basic level of fitness they have to spend up large for a Gym subsciption, or buy the latest expensive treadmill. They could save lots of money (and time) if they actually walked on the stairs, whether they’removing or not.
They might even get healthy and live longer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

For the majority of airport users, travelators have out-lived their usefulness.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/ct-ohare-united-moving-walkway-getting-around-met-0921-20150920-column.html

Notice, too, in the article that the airport owners say that removing them will allow the establishment of more shops along the route. Every cloud must have a silver (greenback) lining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Turn your ear-aid up,

My hearing aids have 3 volume settings, and three program settings - normal, television and crowd. The crowd setting cuts out some background noise. At max volume, I can hear talking, but other sounds are so loud. Creaking floorboards sound like you are about to fall through, and other 'harsh' noises sound like dropping a drawer full of cutlery into an empty metal sink. I can't hear someone knock on the front door unless I am just inside it, my wife can hear someone mowing their lawn 4 houses up the street. Add to that the three different sounds of tinnitus constantly in my head, high pitched whine, rushing wind and a swarm of bees. The problem is the sound frequency of the things you are trying to hear.

LUCKY

Or Not !.

Industrial deafness with three frequencies gone, l can hear a pin drop & thunder way before the wife.

BUT

The spoken word has missing bits that make listening to conversations BAD. ( losing the word & gist of what is said )

WHAT

Is a constant word I use frequently , which annoys the wife. ( I should enlarge my vocabulary ) 

And I have ' stereo ',  So if the noise exceeds my tolerance I have to pull both aids out.

Now I've using a remote to set the volume or mute as required.

spacesailor

• Like 1

My hearing aids which cost an arm and a leg increase the sound of all that I don't need to hear, such as music on the ABC and don't amplify speech. Of most annoyance is being in a meeting with softly spoken people and also loud screechers, especially if there is a low ceiling and hard walls to the room.

7 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

It,s good when the wife talks to me, while her head is in the fridge  or cupboard.

So distorted, 

WHY can,t women talk when facing their opponent, or call your name, AU will do. LoL

spacesailor

Didn't you read the fine print on the marriage contract?

I suspect that all wives think their husbands are hard of hearing. They all expect us to hear every word spoken, whether their head is in a cupboard, the fridge, or outside the house. But don't expect them to hear us unless we have constant eye contact.

Even the nothing is certain.....

• Agree 1

I think it's an inherrant trait of the species. Mine talks to me as if I'm right next to her when I'm at the other end of the house, then screams blue murder that i didn't hear her. Also has a bad habit of speaking with her hand in front of her mouth.

• Agree 1

A lot put them in the top drawer. The later ones are far more complex. I'm told they are far superior in being set up to your individual needs. I  will let you know soon. They took individual casts of my ears  and go to an awful lot of trouble and hearing tests that are nothing like what I did for flying.. You do it in a sound proof cubicle. Nev

5 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Old K , my wife says she remembers seeing a sign which says that you are not supposed to walk once on the escalator...

If that’s the case then the world has gone mad. I haven’t noticed stairs at shopping centres so it looks like we’re all being treated like slow-moving livestock. Another reason to rebel.

I usually take the stairs at places like airports if they are available, even when carrying heavy bags- it gives my bones a workout before or after hours of sitting in cattle class.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1