GRIPES

Phil Perry

I had a bad case of cellulitis which is inifection of the sub-layer of skin, leaving my leg looking like a severe case of sunburn. As Nev said, the skin becomes very dry and flaky, and very easily broken, so I often have bleeding and scabs on the shin. My daughter has given me a tube of Urederm, a moisturing cream, which appears to be having a positive effect.

• Informative 1

Alright. I was just trying to be helpful. I was in no way endorsing any of the petrochemical products that many people have for topical application, in their shower or bathing area.

In fact, when it comes to cleaning my own scalp, I follow the advice of my hairdresser. She advised us not to use any commercial hair products, and only use ordinary soap to wash your hair. So, now I use old fashioned yellow sunlight soap, just like I did as a kid.

• Like 1

Remember Pear's Soap? Pears Pure & Gentle Soap 125g - Your Discount Chemist

It used to be the purest soap, but look what's in it:

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Sorbitol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Rosinate, Glycerin, Sodium Palmate, Sodium Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, PEG-4, Sodium Laurate, Denat. Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Metabisulfite, Sodium Sulfate, Parfum (Perfume), Tetrasodium Etidronate, Lauryl Alcohol, Tetrasodium EDTA, BHT, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Linalyl Acetate, CI 12490, CI 47005.

And as I was looking for this stuff, I stumbled upon this bit of forgotten history - the introduction of soap as an instrument of European colonialism.

http://mycandles.blogspot.com/2019/02/soap-and-white-mans-burden.html

Kipling – Jennifer Hallockimage.jpeg.c305040c6cc4ba4243935db8cde7edad.jpegsoaprace4.jpgsoaprace.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nomadpete said:

I follow the advice of my hairdresser. She advised us not to use any commercial hair products, and only use ordinary soap to wash your hair. So, now I use old fashioned yellow sunlight soap, just like I did as a kid.

Here's my hairdresser:

disposable razor.jpg

Don't get much small talk from her.

Edited by willedoo

When I was young and had constant car maintenance problems, I used a lot of solvol to clean the grease off my hands otherwise mum wouldn't let me in the house for dinner.

But although the engine bays were always black and oily, I didn't seem to get much grease in my hair. You must have been a lot more intimate with your cars!

• Haha 1

Damn these changes COVID has wrought upon our society!

Throughout my life  I have been in crowds in city streets, railway stations, sporting events and the like and have never had my pocket picked. I've walked the darkened streets of cities and never been mugged. But now, amidst the changes brought by COVID, I am being robbed digitally.

Since COVID came, I have just about stopped using currency and now use plastic, contact-less payment methods. The wife has completed her Christmas gift shopping, done on line. Yesterday she asked me if I knew what $120's worth of activity was on our bank account - purchases from places we don't trade with. It looks as though our card details have fallen amongst thieves. 

Come the First of December, I'm going to draw out a fist full of dollars from our account and only use coins and folding stuff. At least I won't have to also be paying the card company for the benefit of using the card when I buy the bread and milk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Anytime I've been scammed on a credit card, it has been because the company I dealt with had extremely poor website or email security.

Using email to send detailed personal information or CC information is a BIG No-No, emails are hacked a million times a day. Yet many companies still indulge in this technique.

Spacey, I have set up two different government QR code login apps on my phone. One is Tasmanian, the other is Queensland. Neither asked anything àbout financial stuff. Only asked for a name, a phone number, and an email address.

I'm worried that you have used a scammers app?

Edited by nomadpete
  • Agree 2

Clever me !.

I stopped & deleated everything.

AND I can,t be bothered to try something that hasn,t been made ' universal '.

Why a Tasmanian Q R code & a Queensland one.

Have all states a different Q R code, like the rest of the world.

Perhaps the world has a different ' covid19 ' for each country it visits.  LoL

spacesailor

• Like 1

Each is run by the state health dept, and only registers on businesses within that state.

Or that's what they would have you believe. At least in Victoria anyway. When four members of our family tested positive, VicHealth asked where we might have caught it. My daughter said, "You have our QR code records." They replied, "We can't access those." When she asked where the tier one hotspots were, they said, "Oh, we don't update those any more. There are too many."

The only way you can check where it may have been is in the history in your phone.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1