GRIPES

Phil Perry

This has been mentioned before but I'll say it again.

Why must we take out a subscription to a newspaper to read one or two reports. It's like buying a season ticket to see one or two games, or like buying a monthly rail ticket to travel once or twice in a month. If they advertise a story on social media, it should be available. It would be OK if I wanted to read every edition all the way through, but not for one or two reports.

• Like 2

And if you take out a subscription - good luck with trying to cancel it. There is no way to cancel it through the website with a simple cancellation button, you have contact them via a difficult-to-find contact page - then wait until they feel ready to reply - then, when you get a reply, they want to know all the reasons why you're cancelling the subscription.

After you've had several emails fly back and forth over many days, they then grudgingly agree to cancel the subscription. They are worse than banks to deal with.

17 hours ago, red750 said:

This has been mentioned before but I'll say it again.

Why must we take out a subscription to a newspaper to read one or two reports. It's like buying a season ticket to see one or two games, or like buying a monthly rail ticket to travel once or twice in a month. If they advertise a story on social media, it should be available. It would be OK if I wanted to read every edition all the way through, but not for one or two reports.

Some idiot put a free paper in my letterbox today, called "The Aussie Battler".  It was all about "freedom" and how to vote, apparently we should be putting all the "Freedom loving" parties first.

Interestingly, it didn't have any editorial information, no "authorised by", no bylines on the articles, no attribution for facts (mainly because it didn't have any facts) - in fact, it was remarkably free of logic, responsibility or reality.

The articles it included were about how climate change and Covid-19 were all rubbish, how we needed more "religious freedom" (how much more is possible?) and how all the intelligent people of Australia were going to vote for these freedom parties which included One Nation, Palmer's united party etc.

I still have plenty of toilet paper, so I used it to light the fire.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Marty, that publication gives you some idea how the masses think. I read it with interest. As you say. It is full of uncorrobated half truths and outright BS.

I'm going down to the shops to pick up a couple more copies. I'm running short of fire starters.

• Like 2

Some paywalls and blocking pop-ups can be worked around by turning of javascript in your browser. It only works on some paywall news sites and not others. I use mainly Firefox and have an add on extension javascript switcher. It puts a widget on the toolbar to click on to toggle JS on or off. Much easier than going into settings. I'd assume similar extensions are available for other browsers.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Marty, that publication gives you some idea how the masses think. I read it with interest. As you say. It is full of uncorrobated half truths and outright BS.

I'm going down to the shops to pick up a couple more copies. I'm running short of fire starters.

I so hope you're wrong Peter - if this is how the "masses" think then we are well and truly f*cked.

• Thanks 1
  • Winner 1
  • Sad 1

Non-service departments.

My rego expired on Monday. As the car needs in excess of $2,000 to get it working and roadworthy, and is probably worth less than $1,000, I decided to let it go. I got an overdue reminder from VicRoads and went on their website. Selected the Cancel Registration option. It said I couldn't do that online, to call their Customer Service Centre. Message said: "This centre is closed, please call during our office hours, 7.30 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday". It was 4.06 pm. Friday.

• Confused 1

On 20/05/2022 at 4:50 PM, red750 said:

Non-service departments.

My rego expired on Monday. As the car needs in excess of $2,000 to get it working and roadworthy, and is probably worth less than $1,000, I decided to let it go. I got an overdue reminder from VicRoads and went on their website. Selected the Cancel Registration option. It said I couldn't do that online, to call their Customer Service Centre. Message said: "This centre is closed, please call during our office hours, 7.30 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday". It was 4.06 pm. Friday.

4:06 on a Friday??  Six minutes into beer o'clock!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

This centre is closed, please call during our office hours, 7.30 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday". It was 4.06 pm. Friday.

You need to understand the actual meaning of that statement.

Sure, office hours are 7.30 to 5.30 Monday to Friday. Staff are present in that office for those hours, and might theoretically answer calls until 5.30pm. However it is standard practice for office staff to participate in a "Team Building" debrief every Friday from 4.00pm until the beer runs out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1