GRIPES

Phil Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Gripes.......

My gripe is that all my life, my 'baby boomer' generation has been blamed for everything from the housing crisis to the drain on the economy posed by aged care.

Can I hope at last to blame my grandkids?

From ABC news:

millennials are overtaking boomers as country's largest generation group

• Like 1

The millenials need to be told that vast amounts of the infrastructure they use without thinking every day - from power stations to roads and highways, to water supply installations, right through to the housing and public buildings they use - were nearly all built by baby boomers, when they were young. We developed the farms from virgin bush, that now provide all their food needs.

We worked our guts out, 10-12 hrs a day - no phones, no electronic gaming, no selfies, no Farcebook, no constant chit-chat and laying around being entertained - and todays generation gets the benefit of our hard yakka. So I think there needs to be a good dose of reality given to this spoilt, self-absorbed, narcissistic current generation.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

True, Octave. When I began my gripe, it wasn't intended to be a anti-millennial generation bashing. I really just wanted to see an end to the media frequently blaming babyboomers for all the current woes of our world. Balance, and credit where credit is due would be nice.

• Agree 2

it's a bit grim to be criticised for being productive. None of these foolish  generalising classifications click with me. All part of the bombardment of BS we get flooded with. If you aren't yet brain dead you will succumb eventually or be a misfit YAY!.  Nev

• Like 1

Expanding gripe upon gripe,

There is nothing to be gained by blaming any generation. Speaking as a individual (perhaps also a member of a group called 'baby boomers'), I refuse to accept blame for ANY of today's problems. After all, I have had no actual influence on such things as pollution, climate change, overpopulation, food/water security, wars, etc.

My only input has been placing my vote at each election, marching in a couple of demonstrations, writing the occassional letter to MP's and signing a few petitions. There has not been an open avenue for me to change the world.

What can one really do to make our world any different, unless I am a power hungry psychopath?

Looks like I 'll have to stay away from the sister site again. Am I a complete idiot, or am I wrong by asking questions and ask for proof not opinion. Those of you who visit the other site will know what I mean. Or is it just one or two dicks who want to have a go at me. Why is it that I can post something here pretty well every day, and receive approval for the content, but as soon as I post something over there I'm abused?

I want to publicise events at Tooraweenah on the other site, but what if those who enjoy attacking me attack those messages. If I don't publicise there, how will the rest of yu know that there is something on? 

OME, just cool your heels on the other site as regards setting up questions. You already know there's some prickly individuals there, who just like arcing up when they see anyone "trying to be a teacher".

A percentage of people on forums enjoy being prickly, I think - particularly when they see someone that they think is acting superior. A lot of these people have ego problems and make themselves feel better by denigrating others.

I've had one on a tractor forum, he followed me around the forum and denigrated every single thing I said - really putting me down, calling me a BS-artist, and a clown who knew nothing.

He's just a smart-arse, supremely arrogant, know-it-all Yank. I gave up, and left the forum, and kept to another forum where he didn't visit much. I just don't need to put up with that kind of shxx.

• Like 2

There are those that think they know it all, and those of us who do. If that's how they get their jollies, let them, and turn a deaf ear to it. They are the losers. I've had a few of them have a go at me. Sticks and stones, etc. 99.8% of us appreciate your input.

• Agree 2

I came to the realisation that the saying was true, "You can teach a monkey to fly a spaceship, but it takes an engineer to know how to build it." I can see who the monkeys are over there.

I'll stay away from there, except for posting stuff about activities at Tooraweenah. If a certain monkey ever turns up there, we have a posthole digger attachment for the tractor, and a few kilometres of fencing that need strainer posts replaced.

• Like 4

what you need to do is analyse what the posters are saying. Sometimes it looks to me as if some just post something to get a reaction and others post to try and draw out an answer, still others post without knowing what they are saying. Just work out who is who and disregard the idiots. No matter what anyone says you don't have to agree with it, but if you disagree and say so, you need a reason.

• Like 1

Centrelink are as useless as Australia Post.

My daughter needs to renew her Low Income Health Card for the new FY. After loosing the paperwork she lodged, she called to follow up. On the phone for more than an hour, transferred to three incorrect extensions, having to repeat name, address and date of birth to each of them, was eventually told that due to backlog caused by covid, her claim won't be processed till mid August. She has pending medical appointments and examinations (colonoscopy) due in July and may have to pay full price for them. In addition, she has concession travel and football tickets which require her to produce her pension card, which is six or seven weeks away. 

This is beyond ridiculous.

• Sad 1