GRIPES

Phil Perry

7 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Has my mate Wolfie been visiting people, lately?

Yeah, Wolfie's bin here for a while now. Since about the same time I arrived at MIL's place to help the sweet little old bat out. She is doin my head in! It's bin a tough month!

Dunno about the other forumites - they's a lot more civilised than I

Edited by nomadpete
  • Informative 1

He's a good mate.. has been there for the good.. and the bad.. sometimes he can overstay his welcome, though.. then we send him packing..

Nothing uncivilised about it.. One of may favourite movies, Parenthood, with Steve Martin (whom, I don't normally like), had a line something like "How did you get through it all".. "I had a good friend - Jack.... Daniels).

Sadly, we were blessed with a frontal cortex!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I know one bloke who was continually beaten up in King's Cross, Sydney and I have never been even close.

Nev, do you mean you've never been even close to King's Cross, or never been even close to being beaten up in King's Cross?

• Haha 1

Back around 1988, I lived for 6 weeks in a hotel on Victoria Road Potts Point, a hundred metres or so from the Kings Cross Station entrance. The other side of the street was Kings Cross. Worked in George St, City, often late. Never saw or heard any incidents, kept to myself. I commuted by TAA on Monay and Friday, home to Melbourne. Was working for Westpac. Later moved to a bank staff unit in Hurstville.

• Informative 3

Funnily enough, 4 of us local Vietnam Veterans were shouted a free trip and accommodation to the 1987 Vietnam Veterans Welcome Home event in Sydney, by a local farmer - and the hotel chosen for us was in the middle of Kings Cross! But I've also stayed there previously, it's certainly an "interesting" place, with some local "characters".

I've never ever consumed much alcohol, and was classed as a non-drinker in my younger years, and I'm pretty sure not priming yourself up is a good recipe for staying out of trouble, as large amounts of alcohol always seem to feature big in "being rolled", or getting into serious, or even deadly, fights.

Too many blokes think they're invincible when they're full of booze, and think they can take on bouncers, or vicious thugs in bars and nightclubs, and win. History frequently proves otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

At one time there was a lot of Yanky R & R around. (Randy young blokes that easily became legless on our high(er) Alcohol Beer.) The "Girls" did very well on that wandering around the hallways of the Crest in various stages of undress. Now don't get too excited guys all this is normal stuff. "WE" had to put up with. The advantage of the CROSS was that whatever hour you got in, you could get a large variety of interesting food and a glass of plonk. Nev

• Like 1

Have only been to Kings Cross once, and it made Fitzroy street seem like a scene from playschool. When you looked beyond its veneer in the streets behind it, it was a cesspit of human depravity and exploitation - no thanks.. Fitzroy street (or the streets behind it) also was, which is why when I went to St. Kilda, I stuck to Acland Street and those cake shops.

• Informative 1

I ordered a birth certificate from Births Deaths and Marriages Vic on 5th Sept. They say the turnaround time is 18 days. Yet they debited my credit card on the 5th. I pay for my groceries as I leave the store, not as I go in. I pay for a hospital visit on discharge, not admission. Why should BDM charge before giving service? And what takes so long to key in a few details, most of which I supplied in the application anyway, and press a button? They are not produced longhand.

• Informative 1

My very first job was as a Vic public servant for a department that made you pay to get records that you had already paid to given them, and had to by law.

We were writing a new system that would provide all sorts of data, and all the department heads wanted to do is charge Joe public as much as they could.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

How's this for stupid?

Since I'm cooking for myself, I try to buy stuff that can be divided into even portions. like two pork chops, or 500 gms of steak. I bought some frozen battered flathead pieces. There were five in the box. The nutritional information panel  says that a serving size is two pieces. So there are 2.5 servings per box.  So what do I do with two half pieces of fish that are left over after I have two servings as recommended?

The box is said to contain 250 gms of fish. That's 50 gms per piece. Why couldn't they put six pieces in the box and sell six pieces weighing 300 gms in total. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marty_d said:

Buy another box when you get down to 1.  Problem solved.

Don't think I'll buy any more. Flathead is a bit strong for me.

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

OME, it is just a marketing ploy to trick you into eating more.

But I'm supposed to be cutting down on my tucker. I have already had to punch some holes  on the buckle side in my belt since I moved out here, hiding from the fries of the city

• Informative 1

Anytime I divvy up fish portions (we usually buy fresh local fish), I work on 150g as an adequate meal portion, per person, for fish. Fish is more filling than any other protein meal.

If it ends up that there's a lesser amount in the divvying up, say 120-130g per portion, we make the difference up with a few more roast vegies, such as quartered spuds, or parsnip, or beetroot.

• Like 1