GRIPES

Phil Perry

I had a gripe today about how software developers were so much better in my day (on the whole - AI and medical/physics software developement today is amazing), but I realised, my gripe is me getting old and not understanding that people wren't willing to sacrifice their lives as much as we did. So, that is my gripe. Sometimes, I have put my work ahead of my family - that is my gripe!

But, the vast majority of programmers I am working with at the moment is still my gripe!

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Sad 1

Nah - the good thing about programming is that compilers usually pick up typos and won't compile the code. I guess that's why I have so many. 

For me, these days Word and Outlook check my spelling. Unf., my Firefox browser's spell checker doesn't seem to be working.

However, compilers don't check what is typed into strings. And one day I left the 'u' out of the statement, DISPLAY 'Please enter your account:'. It gave the tester many minutes of enjoyment

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, red750 said:

I guess the defence will be "Look at all the ad people you'll put out of work."

Hardly a defence. The companies making the gambling ads used to make the cigarette ads.

From 1 January 2019, the NSW Government will introduce a 10 per cent tax on all wagers placed by NSW residents, regardless of the location of the wagering operator, closing a current loophole in wagering laws. New South Wales will join South Australia, Western Australia, Queensland, Victoria and the ACT that have either introduced or committed to implementing Point of Consumption taxes.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

A couple of days ago there was a debate on sports gambling advertising and whether it was an overkill putting people off sport. They said there was one survey where they got young kids to draw what they thought represented football in their view. A surprising number of them drew scoreboards with the sportsbet odds written on them.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Gout is no fun at all and often an indication of impending heart problems. Lamb and pork give it to me. I stopped and haven't had it for years..

Gambling!! Clubs Australia has too much political power. Even the RSL are part of it. State Gov't s,(Bar WA ) rely heavily on the revenues. Good for WA.... Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

My gripe of the day is Centrelink cashing in on the recent surge in property values. They are revaluing properties and kicking people off the age pension as the new valuations push the property owners beyond the asset limits. Once you go over the asset limit, Centrelink reduces the pension by $3 per every $1,000 over the limit. For example, if you are $200,000 over, your age pension is reduced by $600 per fortnight.

A mate of mine and his wife have a property where they have run cattle in the past. They are in their late sixties and have hardly any cattle left on the property, so have relied on a part pension for their day to day living. Because of their land asset, they weren't on the full pension rate for a couple, but received almost $800 per fortnight, enough to live on. Centerlink has revalued the property and reduced their pension to $35 per fortnight.

What Centrelink don't take into account is that you can't just sell a property in one day, receive the money, and then go to town to buy groceries with the proceeds. People still have to live. It's unfair, as property owners didn't cause the increased values; that's all due to Covid pushing half of Sydney and Melbourne into moving up here and causing a feeding frenzy of real estate sales. It's a bonus for anyone thinking of selling, but for those with no plans to sell, it's a severe punishment for something that they didn't bring on themselves. I just hope I'm not in Centrelink's firing line as well. My place is twenty acres in the highest growth area in SEQ, so I'm a bit concerned. Exemptions are only for five acres, so I have fifteen acres pro rata eligible for asset testing.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

Exemptions are only for five acres, so I have fifteen acres pro rata eligible for asset testing.

Think of the people of your age who in their younger days bought 5 acres on the then outer fringes of Sydney. Maybe the had a market garden business. Now they are too old to work, and just remain living on that 5 acre block, geeting the pension that their years of toil earned the right to. Their little old home has become un-fringed and is now worth over $1M per acre. It forces them to leave what they spent years building, and all the memories of family life. 

• Agree 2

On 07/08/2022 at 8:18 AM, old man emu said:

I'm not having a go at our local council, which is the operating authority for the aerodrome. Those building regulations are State-wide  and probably common to all States and territories. That's a good thing, especially if you have accessibility difficulties. It's just that if you don't have those difficulties, you don't notice the need for them. We want this amenities unit to be both functional and attractive.

Too many country aerodromes have things like this:  67 Old Aussie Dunnies ideas | dunny, outhouse, out houses or worse.

That's not the standard we want to meet. We want better. Like this: DIY modern outhouse exterior  DIY modern outhouse design DIY modern outhouse sink DIY modern outhouse interior toilet

We are going to be putting a great deal of effort into increasing movements (aircraft, you twat!) at Tooraweenah by word-of-mouth and social media. We've already implemented a weed control program so that tyres are not damaged by thorns. That's showing positive effects. We've drawn in the accommodation providers and the pub to service the public using the aerodrome. The greatest difficulty is to set up a refuelling station, either in town for those who use Mogas, or on the aerodrome for those who use Avgas. Mogas should be easy as we have the infrastructure, and a Mogas outlet would be welcomed by the townsfolk since it's 40-odd Ks to the nearest pump.

sell it to a private operator and then you will get nothing.

• Sad 1