GRIPES

Phil Perry

The biggest problem I've found with new clothing, is that the peasants employed to do the stitching obviously can't read English, so they just grab any size label, and attach it to the clothing.

The result being, you're obliged to try on every article of clothing to ensure it fits reasonably well, and is not going to cost a fortune to modify arm or leg length - or is not a "Small", when it's labelled as "Large".

I have also found that cotton or part-cotton clothing made in Bangladesh (K-Mart seems to favour Bangladesh origin clothing) shrinks more than any other country of manufacture after washing.

I reckon that size measurements are also related to the countrys idea of "size" - so a "Large" size in many Asian countries (where many people are little more than 160cm (5' 3" to us old farts) is a "Small" in our countrys sizing, where average heights and sizes are much taller and larger.

• Agree 1

Another clothing gripe is the transient nature of cheap clothing manufacture. I've been caught out many times after finally finding a good product in Kmart or Big W. You get the product home and realise it's good enough to buy more, but on returning to the stores, they are never to be seen again. The manufacture and distribution seems to be totally ad hoc. I try to make the point now of buying multiples on the spot if I find something good, as I know it's unlikely to ever be available again.

I hate going into the change rooms to try clothing on. I usually try to make a reasonable guess at it fitting, which is why I've often only bought one to take home and evaluate it's worthiness. I think my problem is I live out of town and by the time I return to the stores in a few days time, the product no longer exists.

I don't think the cheap manufacturers and distributors are interested in having long term successful products. They make plenty of money as it is, selling short term cheap crap.

• Agree 1

Go into any department store and you'll see that in the clothing department 95% of the floor space is for female clothing, with a wide variety of styles, materials and designs. Go into the male section and it's T-shirts, trackie pants and HI-Viz.

I wonder what happens to all teh unsold female clothing at each change of season.

• Like 1

I'd really like to see what constitutes Soft Yakka. I thought the further you went back, the Harder the Yakka was.

I long ago thought I'd found out that powered machinery eliminated a lot of Hard Yakka - then I found out that owning, operating, and repairing that powered machinery, was just another different form of Hard Yakka.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Apparently Kangaroo Island suffered from  a selenium deficiency. Aborigines got there but then died off after a thousand years or so. When whitefellers came, the landscape was quite pristine and the bush was impenetrable. Apparently it is as near as you can get to what the world would have been like without people.

It has remained a good tourist drawcard. I was told by a Swiss backpacker that Australia had 3 draws, the barrier reef, Uluru and Kangaroo Island.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Obesity! .

That B M Index is crap .

A teenager standing 5 ' 10" , ( 1.778 metres) .

Not loosing a kilogram or gaining an ounce , will get to being obese, 

Just by loosing HIGHT.

as we all shrink due to our cartilage loss.,

B M I weight divided by hight .

I am three inches less than my greatest hight .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, spacesailor said:

That B M Index is crap .

Spacey if it was possible to be so, you are 199.9% correct. (I took off 0.1% for misspelling "height).

The Body Mass Index (BMI) was invented in the 1830s by a Belgian statistician, sociologist, astronomer and mathematician, Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet. NOTE: He wasn't a medical man. Quetelet’s goal was to study average human physical characteristics, in order to understand why so many people were dying, in case there was a correlation between weight, height and death. It was designed to look at a pattern of deaths among a large population, as opposed to evaluate any one person's size or health.

Today, almost two centuries from its inception, everyone from family doctors to insurance companies still refer to BMI as a sort of first-line assessment of health, leading to higher insurance premiums and reductive doctor visits for people outside of the size of the "average man" in the 1830s. On average, Australians are growing taller and heavier over time. Between 1995 and 2011-12, the average height for men increased by 0.8 cm and for women by 0.4 cm, while the average weight for men increased by 3.9 kg and for women by 4.1 kg.

For British men, the average height at age 21 rose from 167.05cm (5ft 5in) in 1871-75 to 177.37cm (5ft 10in) in 1971-75. That increase has been atrtributed to more abundant, better quality food as well as improved sanitation, hygiene and nutrition.

So next time your doctor says that your weight and height values give a MBI in the overwieght range, tell the doctor to get out a tape measure and measure your waist.  If you are a man, your risk of disease is increased at 94 cm or more, and is greatly increased at 102 cm or more. What that disease would be is not described. The waist-to-height ratio is a measure of the distribution of body fat. The higher someone's waist-height ratio is, the higher their risk of obesity-related cardiovascular diseases, as it is a rough estimate of obesity.

The Ashwell® Shape Chart based on waist-to-height ratio

You can use the calculator here https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/waist-height-ratio to see how close you are to the desire Wt: Ht value of 0.5

• Informative 1

My waist measurement is bang-on 94cm, and the coloured chart says I'm at risk of being underweight! I didn't really think I was, I thought I was just ever so slightly overweight for my height.

BMI is not a good measurement thanks to the major shift in the bodys structure as we age. We "thicken up" as we age, and BMI only works to a certain degree, for young people.

Oldie revisited.

The number of ads during a commercial break. I counted 10 in one break during the news. The station would argue that it was 9 plus a program promo. If that's not an ad, what is it? They don't count it because they get no advertising revenue for it.

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

The PINCH test is quite valid. You don't want to carry subcutaneous fat...

Nev we need some; I actually lost fat off my gut while hospitalized after breaking my hip. I had to inject anti-coagulant every day for six weeks and it got noticeably harder to pinch up enough belly fat for the needle. I blame crappy hospital food, which sure killed my appetite

It got so bad that, in desperation I took up drinking large quantities of beer to redress the decline. Sacrifices you make for your health!

• Haha 1

My gripe for the day is not getting old as such, but becoming more resistant to change. Google News has taken away the setting to revert to the old list style format, and I really, really, didn't like the new format where everything is laid out all over the place. But I've found a solution.

Generally, I prefer dark theme and Google News has this in settings. I've found by setting dark theme as default, my brain can relate to the new format, and I actually like it now. Change it back to the default bright theme and my brain struggles to navigate and sort it all out.

• Informative 1

Just as an edit to the above post - I thought I was being real clever setting Google News to dark theme. Only problem is that you need to be signed into your Google account to see it. So now I have to sign in every night to read the news if I want to use that theme. Crikey, these mobs are a pain in the a*se.

• Agree 1

Melbourne weather.

Yesterday was the nicest day we have had since MArch or April. Great for doing washing that had built up during the rainy days. At 4:00 pm, before you could say Jack Robinson, down came a drenching. Mad scramble to get the washing in. Similar today. So warm I even had a haircut. Again, 4:00 - 4:30, more rain.

Went out to see the lunar eclipse. Bright stars in the southern sky. Where the moon was -- cloud bank.

• Sad 1