GRIPES

Phil Perry

8 minutes ago, robinsm said:

sell it to a private operator and then you will get nothing.

It is doubtful that the aerodrome has any greater value than as 200 acres of unimproved pasture, or maybe 200 acres of canola. What the Association is trying to do is increase its use by locals and tourists as an aerodrome so that its heritage value can be preserved.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, old man emu said:

Think of the people of your age who in their younger days bought 5 acres on the then outer fringes of Sydney. Maybe the had a market garden business. Now they are too old to work, and just remain living on that 5 acre block, geeting the pension that their years of toil earned the right to. Their little old home has become un-fringed and is now worth over $1M per acre. It forces them to leave what they spent years building, and all the memories of family life. 

Not sure I fully understand that one, ome. Do you mean they are forced to sell up because the council rates have become unaffordable due to their land valuation?

2 hours ago, Yenn said:

They don't have enough income to live on but they have a million dollars worth of land and cannot get the pension.

That's only if you have acreage exceeding the five acre limit. You can have a house and up to two hectares of land worth 100 million dollars and still get a full pension, as long as the non residence assets don't exceed the limit. Anyone with less than two hectares is exempted that house and land from the assets test as long as it's the primary residence and not used to run a business. If your land exceeds the two hectare limit, you are still exempt the house and two hectares, but the balance exceeding two hectares is classed as an asset.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I remember one older widow. 

Lived at 'lake maquarrie ' . Their small holding was rated by council to forcre her to sell enough land per year for those council rates.

When it was put out on the media , two councilors quickly resigned .

Something to do with the developer conecttions. 

We have a similar problem with Parramatta letting our ' Low density housing  ' get pushed up to

' medium density mixed ' .

Now the fight to stop 'Tucks road ' flats delelopment. 

Big block of flats with ' on street ' parking is certainly Not medium density housing.. 

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Don't know if this is the correct place for this, or maybe it should be in the religions, I'm thinking of converting to one of those religions that believes in reincarnation. 

I've been mowing my grass this morning and the flies have been really annoying. So when I die, I want to come back as a spider, so I can catch flies; pull off their wings; kick 'em in the shins and make them hobble back home.

please-love-me-spider-meme.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fortunately for us on the Left coast, we have enough sensible voters here to see through the stupidity that is DS in Australia, and we've held 4 referendums here since 1975, with the proposal of adopting DS, and the proposal has been soundly defeated every time, with a sizeable majority.

But it still doesn't stop the DS true believers - one clown even got voted in last election here, on a DS platform. But funnily enough, he got voted in on preference handouts, not by people wanting DS.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-30/when-does-daylight-saving-time-start-in-australia-2022-october/101438666

• Like 1

A bit off track, but I still reckon that the time for the whole of Australia should be based on the 135 degrees east, making all time UTC +9. After all,  in the 21st Century and beyond, what is the significance of the apparent transit of the Sun from sunrise to sunset to the functioning of a 24/7 society?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I recall the surprise I had when I lived in Brissie for a while at the near constant sunset time throughout the year (at least compared to Melbourne). Of course, it was nice having sunnioer evenings in winter and for longer.

These days, in Blighty, I really enjoy the summers - often daylight until 10pm, and with the VFR rule of having to be on the ground 1/2 hour after sunset, makes for some relaxing after work bimbles in the air (or, did). Of course, there is an issue in winter when it is night time by about 4pm.. that sucks!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1