GRIPES

Phil Perry

I'm not having a go at our local council, which is the operating authority for the aerodrome. Those building regulations are State-wide  and probably common to all States and territories. That's a good thing, especially if you have accessibility difficulties. It's just that if you don't have those difficulties, you don't notice the need for them. We want this amenities unit to be both functional and attractive.

Too many country aerodromes have things like this:  67 Old Aussie Dunnies ideas | dunny, outhouse, out houses or worse.

That's not the standard we want to meet. We want better. Like this: DIY modern outhouse exterior  DIY modern outhouse design DIY modern outhouse sink DIY modern outhouse interior toilet

We are going to be putting a great deal of effort into increasing movements (aircraft, you twat!) at Tooraweenah by word-of-mouth and social media. We've already implemented a weed control program so that tyres are not damaged by thorns. That's showing positive effects. We've drawn in the accommodation providers and the pub to service the public using the aerodrome. The greatest difficulty is to set up a refuelling station, either in town for those who use Mogas, or on the aerodrome for those who use Avgas. Mogas should be easy as we have the infrastructure, and a Mogas outlet would be welcomed by the townsfolk since it's 40-odd Ks to the nearest pump.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

The cost of a refuelling station is going to be substantial. No authority will approve above-ground tanks today (unlike the old days) because of the risk, so they have to be buried, and constructing an approved underground tank fuel installation is costly, because the tanks have to be set inside sand-lined geotextile material, and spears inserted into the sand to monitor for fuel leaks from the tank that could permeate surrounding soil and underground aquifers. 

In addition, a Fuel System Operation Plan must be implemented before any fuel dispensing system is approved. All this can be complied with, but it all takes $$$'s, too.

One advantage today is that fibreglass tanks have superseded steel tanks for fuel storage, but they're no cheaper than steel, just corrosion resistant.

https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/your-environment/contaminated-land/upss

• Informative 1

Above ground tanks are ok in Vic and SA. I don’t know about elsewhere. They have to be self bunded as per mine site requirements. We are getting a brand new 1200 litre job with hose for around $15k, for Mogas. Already have a larger one for Avgas.

• Informative 2

Peter, I can't find a single reference to above-ground fuel installations on any NSW Govt site - but you're right, I forgot about the packaged, bunded, ground-level tanks, that are available today.

I was stuck in my thinking as regards the old farm-style overhead tank setups (many of which still exist in legacy form - but they'd never be approved today).

Many of these farm setups are probably still not bunded, neither would many have a Fuel System Operation Plan in place - no doubt due to the fact that most are just for family farm members use.

OME would probably be best advised to contact the mob in the site below - they'll even hire you a bunded ground-level tank for a temporary setup, if you just want a "trial run" to see how it all works out.

OME's setup might be best arranged around the purchase of a small bunded ground-level tank for regular, occasional use - then the temporary hire of an additional bigger ground-level tank, for major fly-in events.

This mob produce a specially-built AVgas fuel tank made from stainless steel, to ensure there is no chance of any contamination.

https://www.festanks.com.au/

https://www.festanks.com.au/aviation-fuel-tanks/

Edited by onetrack

The fuel situation might be a long time in solving. It's not so much the storage and dispensing bits that affect the economic viability, it's the turnover of fuel. There's not much difference between the wholesale price and the retail price of a litre of fuel, and that difference is the only source of money to give a return on the investment in infrastructure. You have to dispense fuel in the thousands of litres to get a return on investment.

Another big cost is in transporting a temporary tank for events. We are about 100 kms from a hirer, so you've got to add for that. The quote for hiring toilets included $840 just for the delivery truck.

• Like 1

Gee, someone's having a good old rort on that truck hire pricing. Fuel turnover is a very important part of fuel selling, you certainly wouldn't want AVgas sitting around for 6 mths, unsold.

The AIP fuel storage guideline (link below) for farm storage is the best I could find on the 'net - but it's nearly 20 years old, and a lot of the information is definitely out of date - particularly with reference to the farm-style overhead fuel tank setups.

But, regardless of the dated information relating to current approvals, there's a large amount of information in the document, which is still very pertinent and relevant. The checklists for hazards and procedures, and the general information are still quite valid.

https://www.hort360.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Guidelines-for-safe-above-ground-fuel-storage.pdf

Edited by onetrack

Leave the toilet seat up in my house, and you cop a blistering earful. The girls rule here. For someone brought up in an all-male household, and who spent his life working in a 100% male-dominated occupation, I've done pretty well as regards re-learning my house training. :cheezy grin:

In Our home ! ,

That seat is covered by the LID .

Don,t let our cat Try to drink from the toilet . Cats hate water .

AND

The wife doen,t like wet cats running around the lounge. 

IF 

The poor moggi gets out & doesn,t drown. Then it becomes MY job to remove the bodey.

spacesailor

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

Leave the toilet seat up in my house, and you cop a blistering earful. The girls rule here. For someone brought up in an all-male household, and who spent his life working in a 100% male-dominated occupation, I've done pretty well as regards re-learning my house training. :cheezy grin:

That's not sexism, then. It's democracy. The majority vote wins in your house

• Like 2
  • Haha 1