GRIPES

Phil Perry

3 hours ago, red750 said:

Would Koreans learn to speak English to accomodate you in their country?

Too plurry right they would, as do people in many countries. A family member recently spent a fortnight training people there. They’d all done the hard yards, like millions of people who struggle to get a basic grasp of our hard-to-learn language.

We are spoiled to have been born in a land that speaks the world language.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

56 minutes ago, willedoo said:

I used to be able to speak Shorthand until I gave up drinking.

If I drink too much, I speak in Tongues.

Quote: Many of those with a thick accent are better educated in the English language than most of us, 

That is because they had to be taught the unique syntax used in English. As a native speaker of English, try to get your head around the syntax of German, or any other language. English is the odd one out, so to learn it as a second language, you have to be taught the syntax. The people of the subcontinent know the syntax and have the vocabulary as well. What my gripe relates to is the application of the pitch of spoken Hindi coupled with the application of Hindi pronunciation to English.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My parents were Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred (strong int arm arm and weak in head).  Some of my relatives who stayed in Yorkshire were hard to understand.  Whilst it can be tricky understanding some accents, I don't see it as a big deal. Sure it can make communicating a little trickier but so can British regional accents.   

Over the years I have taught perhaps 6 or 7 music students who spoke no English (Korean, Chinese French)  It is astounding how quickly these younger people picked up good English.

Whilst I can't say I speak a second language I do believe learning a second language has many cognitive benefits especially for older people. It helps keep the brain working and perhaps helps in maintaining an open mind.

Edited by octave
  • Like 3

How did they get their licenses. 

A lot of other folks have learned English,  as a second language !.

BUT

The French think We all should speak ' Their ' language .

' Air mail ' / ' par avion ' .

I couldn't learn Esperanto  or French,  its all foreign to me .  LoL

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
  • Agree 1

Some of the most difficult-to-understand English speakers are from the British Isles themselves!

Ah dunno laddie! Ye wudnae git far ina Auld Reekie, wi ye glaikit keek, wen ye cam ta ask fer some clootie dumplings, and ye gat het up whin naewun could unnerstan' ye? :cheezy grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, facthunter said:

As people age they revert to their OLD language

And that is a major problem on aged care where the residents originally came to Australia post-WWII from the poorer areas of Europe; worked their guts out to get their children ahead, and now are succumbing to dementia. Made all the worse for them because the aged care places frequently employ people from non-English-speaking places. It breaks your heart to see the frustration of these old people have trying to communicate their simple daily needs.

• Like 4

I remember as a child the ritual Christmas day phone call to the relatives "back (h)ome. The telephone receiver was thrust into my hand and I would attempt to understand the strong Yorkshire accent.  It is not just about accent but there is a Yorkshire dialect which is incomprehensible. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, facthunter said:

If you travel to other countries  and stay for a while, you will pick up slight accent changes your self.

Sometimes you have to, to be understood. Particularly if you grow up speaking a slow country drawl. A few months overseas and you realise you have to speak the how now brown cow thing to be understood. Trying to speak proper English will change the accent slightly because you are speaking in a way that's not natural to yourself.

It's amazing how many city people think of those in the country that talk slow = think slow. It can be advantageous at times to play their game let them think that. It's a quick way to sort out the genuine people from the ones that are full of shite. The genuine ones will figure out fairly quickly that you're not as dumb as they first thought you were. As for the other comedians, best to sit back and enjoy the show. It's educational if nothing else.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The explosive use of cliches by personalities and journalists in the mainstream media is unprecedented. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those sufferers of this insidious addiction. It is my avowed promise that it shall not continue on my watch. As a matter of actual fact, I haven't had my watch on since I move up country. 

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

In some communities,  ( low residential housing  ), We do know our neighbors,  even if not by name ,

We say guday when we meet .

My neighbor half-way down the street has to go to Dubbo , as his ' bro-in-law ' has passed away .

" Such is life " , that I will miss him saying !.

GUDAY

spacesailor  

• Like 3