GRIPES

Phil Perry

They don't last long enough at our place.  My wife and I cooked 4 loaves of sourdough this morning - one was demolished by lunch time, one in the bread bin for tomorrow and 2 sliced and in the freezer for the next 2 days after that.  Kids are like locusts.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Yenn said:

That reminds me I had better go and look at the bread that I have rising, it must be ready to go into the tins. Sticky stuff sourdough.

We usually fold it a few times, let it rise for some hours, then fold into balls and put in floured tins in the fridge overnight.   Pull it out the next day and straight into the hot cast iron oval pots and into the oven.  Reduces the stickiness substantially.

Edited by Marty_d

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if it is the weather forecasters.. or the news... But the Met (same as BOM) have issued a red alert weather warning of which our are is included of winds up to 90mph thanks to Storm Eunice.But the BBC weather site says to expect on 54mph winds, which puts us in the amber zone... Can they bleedin well not agree on a number?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

OK. We've had the rain and there is water laying everywhere. So now come  the mozzies. Those buzzing bastards who not only disturb the silence, but insist on shooting up on your body. So disease ridden they make Louie da Fly the epitome of godly cleanliness.

But I'm not griping about these examples of God's creatures, great and small. I'd like to know why they must make mosquito coils in such a way as they do so that you inevitably break one while trying to separate it from its partner. I'm giving up and am going to burn the coil from both ends.

• Like 3

My candle burns at both ends It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light.

C'mon mate, do you expect me to believe that at your age, you stay up all night just to swat some mozzies?

And all because you've lost the patience to separate your mosquito coils?

• Haha 1

Check all the stagnant water receptacles around, such as old tyres and empty them out, it prevent larvae breeding. If you can't empty the stagnant water, pour a spoonful of kero on it, the larvae can't breathe through the kero film. If the mosquitoes are really bad, complain to your local council, it's a health threat, and they're obliged to take steps to reduce health risks. Fogging is an option.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

If there are no breeding places, it's another miracle. Old tins tyres bottles. Pour a bit of diesel or two stroke mix on the surface and watch the result on the wrigglers. Dead in no time.. If a  creek or dam has fish or mudeye in it you wont get mozzies .Bats will help too. They eat about their own weight in insects daily.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

I have a dam to the East and another to the West of the house, within 50 metres. Very few mossies and those we do get com from a bucket under a down pipe.  I have an old copper sitting 15m away which never has mossies in it, it seems the copper kills them and the birds seem happy to dink it if the adjacent pottery bath is empty.

What I find keeps the mossies away from is to associate with people who smother on the aerogard, I don't get bitten, but they still complain that they are getting bitten. I reckon the mossies go for those who feel most vulnerable.

• Haha 1

Another gripe: promises that are never kept.

Each new generation of light bulb promises a working life of x-0000 hours, yet I seem to be replacing them just as often as the old ones.

I’m currently sorting thru a box of LED torches that promised the world, but stopped working shortly afterwards. My meagre repair skills are insufficient, so they will go into landfill.  Meanwhile, my house has several incandescent bulbs that are still going fine after 40 years of regular use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Grip of the day.. Petty corporate rules. We have a policy where people can work for up toi 2 weeks in a foreign country... and one of tmy star reprts is wanting to utilise it. I have no concern whatsover this star report will be as diligent as in the offiec or working from home, yet the stoopid questions they want that report to answer is driving me nuts.. Complete waste of my report's any my time...

• Sad 1

Bigger gripe !.

The government gives multiple  $ millions to third world countries. 

BUT

When a pensioner wants to go & spend their saving in that same country, they have their pension docked.

Then have to ' reapply ' for that pension all over again.

All those same damm questions that is on their records.

BUT

Are not available to the poor sod who has to remember  what they have answered years previously. 

spacesailor

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1