GRIPES

Phil Perry

I keep seeing signs constantly, warning escalator and moving walkways users not to walk whilst on the devices. I guess these are the places where the lawyers and OH&S control every facet of operations.

As with everything, the requirement is obviously aimed at the LCD of the population, those who have a tendency to fall over, if they try to walk on a moving surface.

https://says.com/my/lifestyle/japan-rail-is-asking-people-to-stop-standing-on-one-side-of-the-escalator

Escalators are risky for people who are not sure footed (sound of limb) and who may be carrying something bulky.They also have some pretty dangerous edges on the steps. Most of us are just  rushing to get no place special. It doesn't hurt to just slow down a bit and look around you at the world you are in. Every trip to me is an adventure.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

Here's my gripe for the day - bloody lantana. What dickhead brought that into the country?..

That goes for most of our weeds- brought here as garden plants to keep homesick wives happy, then rapidly took over vast areas of our continent.

There’s a special place in Hell for the cretin who introduced Tiger Pair. 
It’s long, needle-sharp spines overlap and attach to any passing animal, breaking away a green segment ready to take root wherever the poor suffering critter manages to dislodge it.
My kangaroos bring them in from the neighbour’s place and I’ve had the spines come right thru my rubber boot.

I cannot believe a benign creator designed this cruel abomination.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 minutes ago, onetrack said:

My pet hate is Caltrop. Brought in reportedly in saddle stuffing, from Southern Europe, in the mid-1800's. Seed of the Devil. Even the seeds look like they have a devils face on them.

Sometimes you see miles of the stuff with yellow flowers on local farmland. Nobody seems to control it, so the cathead seeds spread on vehicles tyres. After thirty years contolling my own weeds with hoe and wizzer, catheads forced me to give up my chemical-free status.

• Informative 1

Another one is parramatta grass which has been on the rise at my place. Didn't have any of it a couple of years ago but it took off quickly once it seeded. It's one of those grasses that take over to the detriment of good grasses. Cattle don't like it; it's unpalatable a bit like blady grass and I don't think it has much nutrition or protein. If you slash it, they will nibble at the fresh shoots but even then they will not have enough interest in it to keep it grazed down.

3 hours ago, willedoo said:

Here's my gripe for the day - bloody lantana. What dickhead brought that into the country? Been down in the jungle today pulling the awful cantankerous stuff out.

Lantana?

Hah. You aint seen nuthin buddy. Until youve seen a pile of gorse as big as a house. Covered with spikes yu can play records with!

When i visited Canadia (sorry, Mr Abbott), they proudly showed me their prized Lantana plants. Aparrently they have to hide them away during winter otherwise the poor things might die from the cold. They were shocked when i told them how much glyphoshate (and worse) we pour onto Lantana in Queensland, just to keep the damn stuff from taking over the place!

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Lantana?

Hah. You aint seen nuthin buddy. Until youve seen a pile of gorse as big as a house. Covered with spikes yu can play records with!

When I visited NZ in the 70's I met a bloke who had previously crash landed a light plane in a large area of gorse. He told me he got more injuries from battling his way out of the gorse on foot than he received in the crash.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Step under the shower and reach for a bottle of hair shampoo. There are so many damned plastic bottles you have to read the label- you could be putting anything on your thinning locks!

Why is it that the only writing that matters is so tiny and faint that you need to put on your spex to read it?

Not all their customers are young and gorgeous. Some of us old farts also buy their product, and shouldn’t be expected to wear our spex in the shower.

I’ve raised this with several manufactureres and had not a bit of interest.

• Sad 1

Agree. The smallest writing is "shampoo" or "conditioner". I'm not sure what all those other plastic bottles contain. But I don't want to wash my hair with any of it.

To avoid confusion and accidental perms or red hair dye, I suggest identifying the shampoo prior to turning on the water, and setting it aside.

Edited by nomadpete
speil spell
  • Like 1

I haven't used any type of detergent or conditioner on my hair for years. I simply do the same washing motions as one would with shampoo, but only with water running through it. My hair is clean and soft and I don't suffer dry skin underneath it. I can get my hair pretty dirty at times, even with the odd bit of greasy muck from working on machinery, but a vigorous wash in the shower gets it clean. 

Once again, by purchasing shampoos and conditioners, we are bowing down to the purveyors of unnecessary goods. And who knows what chemicals are in those products?  

• Like 2
  • Informative 1