God help America

red750

3 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I think you will find it like child-care....  the official stuff is completely unaffordable, but if you look around when the time comes, there will be school-leavers and others who will be keen for the job. You would have to ask around and also maybe advertise a bit.

The ideal would be if you had a granny flat for a carer to live in. If a full time carer qualified for both carer's payment and carer's allowance, the fortnightly pay is roughly equal to the age pension. With free rent thrown in, someone would be interested in the job for sure. The difficult part is convincing Centrelink to approve the eligibility of the person needing care. Age frail is one of the reasons. A GP needs to sign off on it that the person is not able to look after themself. A good GP and filling in the paperwork properly is needed.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Sensible countries don’t segregate the age groups. In Denmark older folks live in the same apartment blocks as young’uns with kids. They get to help single parents, the kids get time with old farts.  Nobody has to be lonely. 

Meanwhile, in “The Clever Country”, we separate our aged into ghettos where they never see kids, have nothing constructive to do and must spend their kids’ inheritance to pay for it. Far away, in the cheaper suburbs, their kids struggle to pay for housing, commuting and childcare. Crazy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Apologies for the thread drift.

I posted nothing about god or america.

That's OK given there isn't a god and america disintegrated in the 60s - 70s and was renamed Trumpland not so long ago which is still believed by about 50 million idiots that live there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Willie, I deleted your duplicated post for you.

I guess you could say I'm lucky. My son, aged 49, and my 43 year old daughter live with me, always have, and with the afforesaid GP's letter, my daughter is my carer and collects the carer's pension, although at times I think I am the carer.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Getting back to the title, I have just read of yet another mass shooting in the US. This time 3 staff & 3 students at a school in Nashville were shot dead. 

The statistics for this hear are almost unbelievable, but after all, this is the land of the free. Free to buy almost any type of firearm and free to shoot anyone.

As at 27 March 2023, 9,870 people have died in gun violence since 1 January 2023, that is 115 per day.

There have been 132 mass shootings since 1 January 2023 though not all have resulted in deaths and all that in only 86 days.

With the freedom and gun culture they find so endearing, Nothing will save America.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/116-people-died-gun-violence-day-us-year/story?id=97382759

Edited by kgwilson
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

that is 115 per day.

So, that puts the US of A on target for over 41,000 gun deaths for 2023.

Do they call it 'friendly fire' if there was no national enemy involved?

That's more than Ukraine or Russian military losses. (Well, the casualties that they admit to)

Edited by nomadpete
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

So, that puts the US of A on target for over 41,000 gun deaths for 2023.

Do they call it 'friendly fire' if there was no national enemy involved?

That's more than Ukraine or Russian military losses. (Well, the casualties that they admit to)

In 2020, the most recent year for which complete data is available there were 46,222 gun related deaths in the US or 13.6 deaths per 100,000 people, the highest rate since the mid 90s but well below the rate of 16.3 deaths per 100,000 people in 1974.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/02/03/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1