God help America

red750

Nev, "elephant in the room" comes to mind. Then add in, "the God in which we trust" (firearms), and you can only begin to grasp the attitude of Americans who think that 30,000 firearms deaths a year is a low price to pay for being able to own and worship unlimited amounts and types of firearms.

Gary Wills of NY wrote an excellent piece, "Our Moloch", based around Americans worship of firearms. They worship Moloch the Gun God, and sacrifice their children willingly to Him, daily.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

I heard in passing somewhere that some Republican states want to pass or have passed a law that allows people to carry weapons in public without a permit. Back to the good old wild west. Strap you holster on your hip. Who is the fastest draw? Stand-off at high noon.

• Sad 2

In the article it says if the bill is passed, Florida would become the 26th state to allow permit-free concealed carry. I think they mean you don't need a permit to carry the firearm in public. In a lot of those states, you would still need a permit to own a concealable firearm.

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, red750 said:

I heard in passing somewhere that some Republican states want to pass or have passed a law that allows people to carry weapons in public without a permit. Back to the good old wild west. Strap you holster on your hip. Who is the fastest draw? Stand-off at high noon.

Totally f’ing mad! Even during the so-called Wild West there was gun control. Dodge City disarmed all arrivals.

• Informative 2

The entertainment industry has a lot to answer for. It never follows the real world situation of what happens after a person is shot dead. Even if you take the most clear-cut example of shooting in self-defence (say knife-wielding maniac coming within close enough proximity to you to cause fatal injuries) there is still a long and arduous process to investigate the death and to obtain a legal answer as to whether the death was lawful. All during that time, the shooter would be in fear of failure to prove self-defence as well as the fear of the family of the deceased suing civilly. 

Never happens in movies or TV shows. In TV shows there's a new pile of corpses at the end of next week's episode. Have you ever seen the star of a TV cops & robbers being grilled in the witness box about their rle in a shooting death?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

49 minutes ago, old man emu said:

The entertainment industry has a lot to answer for…

In TV shows there's a new pile of corpses at the end of next week's episode…

Too plurry right, OME!

A generation of Americans were raised on Westerns with lots of killing. People joked that they regularly had to get the dead Indians cleaned out of their Television sets. That sort of exposure would have a profound effect on developing minds. A few of them became gun nuts.

Sadly, sales of firearms increase after every shooting; the gun industry loves it!

Even the punch-ups on TV are unreal: our hero gets knocked cold regularly and recovers with barely a headache. He absorbs numerous blows to the face, but never loses any of his pearly whites.
In the real world people can die from a single punch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

'' The entertainment industry has a lot to answer for. It never follows the real world situation of what happens after a person is shot dead. ''

And What about ALL those bullets fired into the air .

DO they get stuck in the clouds .& Not return to Earth ! , killing some one that didn't look up .

spacesailor

• Like 2

Americans are so addicted to guns and their so called freedoms they have become obsessed with anything that they believe infringes those freedoms.

There were 647 mass shootings in the US in 2022 and as of yesterday there had been 50 so far this year, 7 on New Years Day alone. Now they are removing laws to allow people to carry concealed weapons anywhere and anyone can just walk in to Walmart & buy a gun without any ID or permit. There is not any age limit set in some places.

My brother managed an MDF plant in a town called Broken Bow in Oklahoma about 20 years ago & the redneck locals used to drive around in F200 Utes with a Gun rack on the back with 6-10 semi auto rifles in it plus they always had hand guns in the cab. One bloke he befriended was a gun collector and had his own shooting range and literally hundreds of guns. He showed me a video of him firing a 50 calibre pistol this bloke had. It misfired first & the southern drawl was "Pull the hammerr raaaght baaaack" which he did & pulled the trigger. The boom and flash was like nothing I'd ever seen & all my brother could say was "FAAAARRRRKK". It was hilarious to watch but a sad indictment on a completely faarrkked culture

• Informative 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I remember on my first working assignment in the US, I was sent to Bismarck, ND. Even the 16 year old boys had their F series Fords with gin racks and usually shot guns on the back They took them to school and parked them there. After school, they would go off hunting or something. Ironically, there was no real bravado and the town and the kids were very chilled (both metaphorically and literally - I was there in the winder of '96/97, then their coldest for 40 years, they and the radio told me). When I was there, Bismarck (and most of North Dakota) had a very low crime rate, and the murders tended to happen on ranches in winter, where, the houses were white, surrounded by white and the, usually older couple, were isolated. It was nothing like the rest of the US.

But,it is generally more affluent with only a small proportion that are poor. It is a fairly homogenous society, and the police are more like in the UK than the rest of the US. I guess it was more like, is it Switzerland where everyone is armed, but they are all more or less sane.

BTW, here is a clip from Stephen Fry's travels around America in a Cab, This is where he visits Bismarck, and goes to the same Diner that I have eaten in many times (I was there for over three months, and, and apart from the diner, it had some really good restuarants.. and as I was on expenses, I ate well).

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

In another report from the mighty US, posted on Yahoo News, and from The Independent, police were called to a report that a black double amputee ( both legs at or just below the knee) had stabbed a person. The police attended, and with the man off his wheelchair, on his stumps, and using his hands to manouvre, was shot 8 times, killing him. Yes, he did try to escape on his stumps and hands, and yes, he was holding a large carving knife, but half a dozen cops, black and white, were so afraid for their lives, could only stop this man by shooting him dead.

image.thumb.png.0f9763dc4a225bf970db6b73768e4284.png

• Sad 5

• 4 weeks later...