Corona Virus - Bizzare Outcomes

Jerry_Atrick

AND

NO bullets means NO wild pork, Venison, No Roo or ducks.

Are we to go back to the Savage days of Spring traps and garrottes, to catch our food while keeping the Vermin down.

spacesailor

No worries for me spacey; I don't eat animals or birds, only seafood and fish. Just thankful they haven't banned fish hooks.

Edited by Guest

It's only the Labor states that have closed gun shops and stopped applications for permits to acquire. I'd guess they saw the American news and thought there would be stockpiling of firearms and ammunition here. When the public is freed up a bit more, it will probably go back to normal. The only people affected so far are the farmers and feral pest control companies who can't get ammunition for vermin control. Recreational shooters can't go away pig shooting due to restrictions and sporting shooters can't shoot because ranges are closed nation wide, so those two groups aren't affected.

The biggest problem is that it's breaking the business people and there's no government assistance to help stay afloat until the rulings are reversed. One of the shooter representative bodies has initiated legal proceedings to take it to the arbitration tribunal. You can't legally stockpile guns in Australia; it's a lengthy and complicated process to purchase one. Licensed shooters could buy up ammunition and stockpile it though. People who load their own can only possess a certain amount of gunpowder as well; that's tightly controlled by the explosives legislation post 9/11.

I was talking to our firewood delivery bloke about this the other day (standing 2 metres apart, of course). He does deer shooting. We were discussing the local gun shop which I'd been in a few weeks ago getting ammo in case we needed to eat some wallabies - he said the owner did as much turnover in a month as he usually does in 18 months, but then he'll be shutting up shop for the foreseeable.

Part of the problem is there was no ammo coming in from the US. They were still getting stuff from Russia and Europe, but it was more expensive than the US stuff.

Guess at least they got a boost before it went to nothing, and they should at least get the Jobkeeper payment and whatever state government business supports there are.

I have been researching toilet paper application. It requires three sheets to be 95% confident of no breakthrough. It requires three wipes to be 95% confident of..., well, just confident.

This research applies only to Sorbent brand product. I am seeking a grant to extend it to other brands.

No responsibility is taken for reliance upon these results by the reader.

I am seeking a grant to extend it to other brands.

Dear Mr McCarthy,

After careful consideration of you application for funding to continue your scatologically-related research, it is the unanimous decision of the reviewing committee that this research falls into the category of medical research.The reviewing committee congratulates you on your prior efforts, however, I have to inform you that the application is denied on the grounds that it may have benefits to the physical and medical well-being of the Nation, and/or the advancement of scientific knowledge.

Might the committee suggest that you apply to the Minister for Arts for a grant to experience the tactile and olfactory nuances of the application of your material of choice?

Yours faithfully,

Awa Tanasi Am

Chairman

Committee for Allocating Research Pittances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Does this mean, we will now hear about the Sorbent Ring of Confidence? Sure beats the Sordid Ring of Clingy Bits.

All this reminds me of the hoary old joke - Q. "What does the Starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common?"

A. "They both circle Uranus looking for Klingons!"

Edited by Guest
  • Haha 1

Here’s a little from today’s Melbourne newspaper, The Age.

I liked very much a Facebook post “Hearing crazy voices? Turn off Foxnews”

It’s nice to actually be able to prove decisively they kill people. The problem is it’s not worth even mentioning to the right wing extremists I know in the USA. They just spin it, or to put it more accurately they repeat the right wing spin jockeys stories. Anyway, I have to keep my USA left wing views (Australian middle ground or right) quiet on Facebook. Here’s a very small outlet...

‘On February 25, Carlson warned his viewers about the deadly risks of the virus, saying that it could kill up to a million people in the US. Two days later, Hannity was favourably comparing the virus to the common flu and car crashes. ‘‘ Carlson continued to discuss the subject extensively throughout February while Hannity did not mention it again on his show until the end of the month,’’ economists from the University of Chicago and Harvard wrote in a working paper published this week titled Misinformation During a Pandemic. They examined whether viewing one show rather than the other led to different behaviours and health outcomes. Their finding : it did. The economists found Hannity fans began changing their behaviours to minimise the risk of contracting the virus five days later than viewers of other Fox shows. Carlson fans changed their behaviours three days earlier, with significant consequences. ‘‘ Greater exposure to Hannity relative to Tucker Carlson Tonight leads to a greater number of COVID-19 cases and deaths,’’ they wrote. Viewers of Trump’s daily White House briefings have seen him repeatedly promote hydroxychloroquine , an anti-malaria drug, as a potential coronavirus cure. ‘‘ It’ll be wonderful, it’ll be so beautiful, it’ll be a gift from heaven if it works,’’ Trump said earlier this month, even as his top health advisers cautioned that its benefits were unproven. Trump’s enthusiasm was strongly influenced by Fox News – in particular host Laura Ingraham, whose show follows Hannity’s each weeknight. According to Media Matters, Ingraham made 84 promotional mentions of the drug between March 23 and April 6 – more than any other presenter on the network. At the start of April, Ingraham reportedly met privately with Trump at the White House to sell him on the potential benefits of the drug. Two days later, at his daily briefing , Trump called the drug a ‘‘ very special thing’ ’ and said a lot of people were recommending people take it. ‘‘ What do you have to lose?’’ he said on April 4. This week a study of hundreds of US veterans found that those who used hydroxychloroquine were no less less likely to need mechanical ventilation and had higher death rates compared to those who did not take it.’

Here's a short Twitter clip of social distancing violators in Russia. Those kids are quick off the mark when the coppers arrive. Make sure to click the unmute button.

[MEDIA=twitter]1254474683954728961[/MEDIA]

Edited by Guest

when the crisis is over we are going to find that the economy is just about stuffed, our superannuation has disappeared, our savings are dwindling, there is a lot of unemployment and life is vastly changed. But the good thing is that that small percentage of old people in poor health, who were most at risk are still with us. Question is, was it worth it and I feel I can ask this question as I am one of those at risk.

It has been a massive plus for the medical industry, they have been able to keep the cash rolling in and also save plenty of future patients to keep the cash flowing.

when the crisis is over we are going to find that the economy is just about stuffed, our superannuation has disappeared, our savings are dwindling, there is a lot of unemployment and life is vastly changed. But the good thing is that that small percentage of old people in poor health, who were most at risk are still with us. Question is, was it worth it and I feel I can ask this question as I am one of those at risk.

It has been a massive plus for the medical industry, they have been able to keep the cash rolling in and also save plenty of future patients to keep the cash flowing.

It is a reasonable question to pose.

I don't believe the economy will be stuffed long term. I am a close watcher of super as I have just semi retired and I am living at least partly off of my super. As of today my super is around 10% lower than precovid. This comes off a last years remarkable performance of around 19% which is way above what I expected. The market had a huge fall but is generally now moving in the right direction.Dow, S&P 500 end last session in April lower, but notch best monthly gains since 1987 Of course this does not mean that there is no more economic pain to come.

Some businesses are thriving, I did nearly buy some shares in Zoom precovid, dammit. My Tesla shares have gone pretty crazy 112% profit since october last year. The economy will change and adapt.

Although the fatality rate is greatest in the older folks young people do die. Even given a small fatality rate for those in their 20s, lets say 1% this becomes a huge number of individuals if for example half the population of Australia were to contract it. I don't believe we would tolerate such a number of deaths of young people.

Another important issue is that of medical resources. If we chose to sacrifice those older people or those with compromised immune systems do we still go to the expense of hospitalizing and treating them or do we send them home to die?

Often people compare the lockdown economy with the precovid economy when the more valid comparison would be to compare the lockdown economy with the high covid infection rate but no lockdown economy. If there were to be an unchecked infection rate it would mean that just about everybody would know someone who ended up on a respirator or who had died. They probably would know a young person who had been seriously ill. In an unchecked infection scenario I suspect most of us, even if we were unconcerned about our own health would be thinking of a family member who is vulnerable. Under these circumstances even without a lockdown many people will choose not to go to a cafe or the movies and most people would not be booking flights if the chance of infection was great.

Older people are an economic burden on society however we still choose to give them medical care because we are humane.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

According to economic theory everyone who is not productive is a burden and education people costs a bomb. Old people are already educated and do perform often unpaid work and are capable of more. given the opportunity. You wouldn't have to do much to equal the miserly pension in value and they pay GST when they spend . and other imposts like fuel excise when they drive or mow the lawn. Nev

Edited by Guest

According to economic theory everyone who is not productive is a burden

My wife retired last year and is not doing paid work but the super she amassed is doing work both in investing in productive businesses and when she spends that money.

Same as a lot of the work done by previous generations is used by people later. Later generations don't start from scratch, unless there's been some kind of a catastrophe. Infrastructure is an investment in the future. Money saved to be spent later is an investment. IF you spent it at the time it would not be available to you later. IF you build flats and rent them, rather than sit idle, you are entitled to a benefit. IF someone devastates an area they DO place a BURDEN and COST of cleaning it up on future generations. That's is why I'm so pissed off at those who do it and they KNOW they are doing it. Nev

• Like 1