Corona Virus - Bizzare Outcomes

Jerry_Atrick

COVIT-19 is something I would definitely not like to contract.. but I am amazed by some of the outcomes it has caused...

I get that some towns and cities go into "lock-down" and that in order to contain the spread, people are being asked - and complying with self-imposed quarantine; ships are bieng refused permission to dock; events being cancelled, etc.

But there are some strange outcomes...

• Chinese restaurants being abandoned. Yes, a family or staff member may have visisted China or Hong Kng recently.. But so may family or friends of millions of other people...
  • The wearing of facemasks (which according to viroligists actually increases the chances of infection due to the type of masks commonly used and the time they are worn)
  • And now I hear, the Corona beer's sales are falling (of course, it could be because it is an average beer)..

The good thing is, that if I sneeze on a train, I am immediately afforded much more room than 1st class!

• Like 1

Went shopping at Woolies Brentford Sq at lunch time. Photo 1 shows the toilet roll shelves. Photo 2 shows the flour shelves. Around 4pm, wife and daughter went to Forest Hill Chase. No toilet rolls at Woolies, Coles or Reject Shop.

At about 6pm, the daughter and I went to Woolies at Brentford Sq to get a roast chicken for tea. The store had had a load of toilet rolls delivered and three pallets on the floor, packages of 36 Quilton. Saw one shopper with 5 packages (yes - 180 toilet rolls!!) in their trolley. However, the flour, sugar, pasta, pasta sauce, rice, noodles, cooking oil, canned spaghetti and cat litter shelves were were almost bare.

IMG_2209.thumb.JPG.b6cb2651d4bbdc584947a1a16a30523a.JPG

IMG_2204.thumb.JPG.7abd4f1300481ca5a322378f746a4e15.JPG

• Sad 1

Not real sure of the thinking in stocking up on shit tickets. For a start they're mostly made in Australia so there's not going to be a shortage coming from China. Secondly unless you're elderly with existing respiratory problems this is basically like getting the flu - I was happy to hear that kids are even less affected by it than adults.

It's not the zombie apocalypse fer chrissakes.

• Thanks 1

My wife tells me that Coles shares have gone up today.

This is a major achievement for the media. They seem to always want to scare the viewing public with stories of gloom and doom.

With a fatality rate of 0.5% of those who contract the virus I cannot see that it is all that bad on the fatality front, it maybe bad for those who live through it, but the normal flue was never fun. It would be nice to know how it compares with the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic.

Given that there are far too many humans in this world and with the damage we are doing to the environment, it may be prime time for a bit of culling.

I went to the fish & chippery a few doors down from home at lunch time for a Chicko Roll. The shop also stocks a few "mum forgot" grocery items. The owner was telling me that someone came in and wanted to buy all the toilet paper they had.

Why hasn't there been a run on facial tissues and paper kitchen towel?

My wife tells me it's the same at the local Supermarkets. No rice or flour. Make glue from them? Perhaps dunny roll wallpapering is the new thing. Are you volunteering for the CULL group Yenn?. Some places are a way above 0.5%. IRAN looks particularly good at spreading the disease. so far. as well as some parts of Italy and south Korea.. A .pandemic is always on the cards with cruise ships and jet planes. If this one mutates just watch out. 3 months ago a human had never had it. Nev

This panic buying must be giving people the sh1ts.

We were down to our last roll, so we bought one of the 36 roll packs, not that we needed that many, but that is all we could get. The shopper who bought five packs, 180 rolls, should have enough for almost a year if a roll lasts them 2 days. I've seen reports where people are buying up stocks of items and advertising them on Gumtree and the like for inflated prices.

Although we have no intention of stocking up, when it comes to toilet rolls we are very much "haves" rather than "have nots"

A couple of months ago we started getting toilet rolls delivered from a company called "Who gives a crap" The paper is supposed to be environmentally better than most supermarket brands and the packaging contains no plastic. The deal is they deliver at predetermined intervals a box containing 48 rolls. You can bring forward or delay any delivery.

Today a van pulled up outside our place and delivered a box full. I am just concerned that the neighbours may think we are panic buying.

On the upside perhaps we could liquidate some of our TP assets and make a handsome profit.

• Like 2

This reminds me of the old joke. You've probably heard it, but I'll relate it again.

An Indian goes into the shop and asks for some toilet paper. The shopkeeper gives him a packet and tells him the price. The Indian says "Too expensive". The shopkeeper says "There's some no name toilet paper over there." The Indian buys a pack and leaves.

The next day he returns with part of the package. He says to the shopkeeper "You should call this John Wayne toilet paper." The shopkeeper says "Why?" The Indian says "It's rough, tough, and don't take no sh!t from no Indians."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Although we have no intention of stocking up, when it comes to toilet rolls we are very much "haves" rather than "have nots"

A couple of months ago we started getting toilet rolls delivered from a company called "Who gives a crap" The paper is supposed to be environmentally better than most supermarket brands and the packaging contains no plastic. The deal is they deliver at predetermined intervals a box containing 48 rolls. You can bring forward or delay any delivery.

Today a van pulled up outside our place and delivered a box full. I am just concerned that the neighbours may think we are panic buying.

On the upside perhaps we could liquidate some of our TP assets and make a handsome profit.

We get that too... there's still 2.5 boxes in the shed next to my plane!

• Like 2

I was listenting to Luke Bona on Triple M today (unsocilable hours your time.. very socialble our time) and he was saying there was an incident where someone pulled a knife at Woolies (QLD, I think, but could be mistaken).. over... a... dunny roll...

Seriously, fellas... if you take a dump a home and there's no loo roll left - don't you just jump in the shower?

• Like 2

I read that in time, we are all going to have corona virus in our systems. Precautions will delay this, hopefully till there is a vaccine.

On toilet paper, do our indigenous brothers use the stuff? They never did when I was a kid in the 50's. Indians ( in india ) don't use it either. A guy I knew was on a tour in india and he got to see an english vicar using pantomime to try and buy some from a rural shopkeeper who knew nothing of english or toilet paper. I wonder how he pantomimed it....

• Like 1

You can all rest easy - it is not only Australia: Empty shelves at local Sainsbury's amid virus 'toilet paper crisis'

My son came home today from A Level (VCE equivalent) school saying how stupid they were and asking why he bothers to get an education.. They now must spray and ant-bacterial spray on keyboards after they use them.. "Don't they know anti-bacterials are useless against viruses?".

And they wonder why I can't convince them against his idea the education they are giving him is somewhat flawed!

The stockpiling folks are likely to be the cause of the situation they fear. In the case of TP we have the means to manufacture the amount we generally need, as we need it. The demand now will mean sluggish sales later as people use up their stockpile.

If I were concerned about supplies, TP would be way down the list of my worries. Shiraz and coffee beans would be further up the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2