Corona Virus - Bizzare Outcomes

Jerry_Atrick

Octave, it's not possible for anyone to feel guilty receiving a coronavirus supplement. That's because any money received is payment for doing a job, which is to go out and spend it and stimulate the economy in the process. They don't give a rat's a*se about the little bloke; we're just a means to an end for them to avoid economic disaster. If we spend up, we save their hide. How's that for a cynical, one-eyed answer.

They must have made an exception to back pay the jobkeeper payment. Earlier this year the Social Security Reform Act changes kicked in. This did away with things like carer's bereavement payments. It also did away with back paying payments to the date of application, which has been the practice forever. Regardless of application date, jobseeker payments are only paid from the date of the first interview with a job search provider. The government makes a few extra shekels if they can keep the unemployed and carers dangling a bit longer. That's the true wolf under the sheep's clothing.

Edited by willedoo

i am not complaining of course but there are many anomalies in the jobseeker payment scheme. Many casual workers miss out. In my case I am only working 10 hours per week and I have lost 30% of my income but the payment is almost twice what I would normally earn. We have decided to make a small regular donation to our local food bank.

I think part of the job keeper scheme is about stimulating the economy.

I am not complaining at all just thinking that things usually work out well for octave :thumb up:

• Like 1

It is good to know that one group of people who have been screwed for years are at least getting by during the pandemic. I refer to the agricultural sector. They have not lost their jobs, or at least the farmers have not. They have continued to work and I hope they are getting paid or their produce. Their work is usually well away from other people so social distancing is not a problem.

One thing that stands out with the pandemic is that everyone seems to think the USA is the worst affected country, but really it is nowhere near the worst.

The real measure of the problem is the number of people who die or are affected, per million total population.

Belgium is one of the very worst affected, but The UK, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, France and many others are far worse as a percentage of population. One of the best is China with a very low percentage.

In the past there have been other pandemics and we are very lucky that this one is not really serious. Some have had death rates of over 50%

• Like 1

Some so called" recoveries" are not without ongoing issues so just surviving and not dying is not the full picture.. Quite a few don't show symptoms but may still carry it.. Sweden as a case were they were too complacent. Britain is as you say Yenn , up with the worst rate per capita.. Nev

• 2 weeks later...

The government is giving $1500 per fortnight, or is it per week? to those on jobkeeper. Now today the news is that the Catholic Church is wanting its priests to give them half of the payment.

How on earth do priests come to get jobkeeper money from the government? I thought it only applied to businesses that had a certain percentage loss of income and had to lay of staff.

The Catholic Church is one of the biggest businesses in the world. It just has the convenient tax-free status of religion.

I can recall many many years ago, someone telling me that the Catholic Church held the largest number of shares in General Motors.

They have their own Bank - the Vatican Bank. It's valued at EU‎2,848,300,000. Yes, that's nearly $2.85B Euros, around AUD$4.67B.

That's a nice handy little asset to back you up for the tough times - such as when your adherents are set on suing you for sexual abuse carried out by your holy teachers.

I've read that Pope John Paul VI — June 21, 1963-Aug. 6, 1978 was assassinated because he wanted to stop the corruption within the Vatican Bank. It is interesting that a lot of people involved with the Bank have endured the view from behind prison bars. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Yenn said:

The government is giving $1500 per fortnight, or is it per week? to those on jobkeeper. Now today the news is that the Catholic Church is wanting its priests to give them half of the payment.

How on earth do priests come to get jobkeeper money from the government? I thought it only applied to businesses that had a certain percentage loss of income and had to lay of staff.

According to the news tonight, the church lobbied the government to include priests in the jobkeeper package, arguing that they were employees. Then they asked the priests to donate half to the church and go six months without pay when the scheme ends. Hallelujah! 

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 1

The key to the gates of heaven come at a high price if they are able to give you hell when you won't pay it. I'd like to examine the visitors book and read the comments. A lot of the salesmen are not of the highest standard. Why are their businesses tax exempt?  "Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's"  Fringe benefit taxes should apply. Atheists are treated poorly by comparison.. Discrimination?  Nev

I really cannot see how the priests are eligible for jobkeeper using the government guidelines. We are told the church lobbied government.

I would assume the lobbying was along the lines  the lines of. "If the priests are disadvantaged financially, they could get up in the pulpit and question what the government is doing, but if they are looked after, they may well preach about what a good job the government is doing."

Is that too cynical an outlook and if so what was the real reason to change the rules.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1