Corona Virus - Bizzare Outcomes

Jerry_Atrick

Trump is actively promoting revolt against state government health directives. If he gets his way the virus is going to go wild in USA. I can't say that I am worried, they have been exporting misery to the rest of the world for years. Individually I find Yanks to be nice people, at least those who are a generation younger then me, but collectively they are trouble. They seem to think their president is the man to run the country, not the man to be sensible and do what is best for the country.

I heard today that the UK would have been in a better position if they had locked down earlier. Trouble was Boris was on holiday with his girlfriend at the time, so nothing got done.

Don't they realise that a democracy is not government by one elected dictator.

I think our PM realised that he was not the expert, and took good advice, acting accordingly. He was on holiday at the start of the bushfire problems and I don't hear anyone saying he should have done differently to what was done. Much as I dislike him, he seems to be doing something right. I wonder what John Howard would have done, he seems very quiet. As does Rudd. They must be happy with the status quo.

• Like 1

@Yenn - maybe this will shed some light on why the government (BoJo) locked down a little later than he could have: Special Report: Johnson listened to his scientists about coronavirus - but they were slow to sound the alarm

Also, there;s an article in the FT how while he was away, he was fully briefed and involved - he just didn't personally attend the COBRA meetings.

I am not blind follower of his, but so far, he has not been far off ScoMo with his actions - the advice he has been given has not been the same, though

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

You have to have some sympathy for the Islamic members of our community. So far, with the rest of us, they have smoke pollution from bushfires; flooding rain, and currently Corona virus lock down. Ramadan starts tomorrow at sunset and the poor buggers have to fast for a month!

You have to have some sympathy for the Islamic members of our community. So far, with the rest of us, they have smoke pollution from bushfires; flooding rain, and currently Corona virus lock down. Ramadan starts tomorrow at sunset and the poor buggers have to fast for a month!

I think they get to eat at night.

If your fast is over real fast it's not much of a fast. A fast to be real must LAST, or am I just living in the PAST? Nev

Apparently partial fasting is good for your health too. Even compressing your normal daily intake into a shorter period - ie eating the same amount, but only doing it from say 10am to 5pm instead of 6am to 8pm, is beneficial.

• Like 1

Just saw this: 'We don't know what to do': Farmers, gun shop owners crippled by coronavirus gun ban

Most bizzare! Believe me, I am totally pro gun control (in fact, I think it could be tightened).. But to outright ban it, is just plain nuts to totally ban it. I am guessing onlines sales already have to abide by the gun controls, so what is the issue. Yes, there has been an increase in gun sales and yes there is a fear of increased domestic violence. But I don't know too many people who need a gun to perpetrate domestic violence to the extreme.. there are plenty of alternatives.. At least allow ammo sales to the farmers - or have I become a red neck?

I can only assume they have some information we don't that compels them to bring this on.. Gun sales are not like white goods sales. I'm army trained to use guns (er .. rifles )and machine guns and had a licence on the farm but hate having the things anywhere around where some kid could get them to show his friend or a drunk or pothead find them an easy to show someone which way is up.... I had 2 303's that were like new that I used on the range at Botany but was glad to see the end of them some years later. Nev

It's only the Labor states that have closed gun shops and stopped applications for permits to acquire. I'd guess they saw the American news and thought there would be stockpiling of firearms and ammunition here. When the public is freed up a bit more, it will probably go back to normal. The only people affected so far are the farmers and feral pest control companies who can't get ammunition for vermin control. Recreational shooters can't go away pig shooting due to restrictions and sporting shooters can't shoot because ranges are closed nation wide, so those two groups aren't affected.

The biggest problem is that it's breaking the business people and there's no government assistance to help stay afloat until the rulings are reversed. One of the shooter representative bodies has initiated legal proceedings to take it to the arbitration tribunal. You can't legally stockpile guns in Australia; it's a lengthy and complicated process to purchase one. Licensed shooters could buy up ammunition and stockpile it though. People who load their own can only possess a certain amount of gunpowder as well; that's tightly controlled by the explosives legislation post 9/11.

Edited by willedoo