Corona Virus - Bizzare Outcomes

Jerry_Atrick

I reckon that "apres nous, le deluge" in relation to COVID and the Economy is a pretty pessimistic outlook and lack of faith in the resilience of the Common Man. Let's look back on pandemics of the past to see what happened after them.

The Black Death.

From 1347 to 1352, this plague destroyed the population of Europe. The countries were relied on an agrarian economy in general, so that the workforce was greatly diminished. Before the plague, peasant serfs were confined to their lord’s estate and received little or no payment for their work . Overpopulation and shortage of resources led to malnutrition and extreme poverty for many peasants. After so many people died, serfs were free to move to other estates that provided better conditions and receive top pay for their work. Serfs improved their standard of living too. Modern day archaeologists have found evidence that prior to the Black Death, most of the peasants relied on clay pots to cook their meals but in years following the plague pandemic, households used more expensive metal cookware.

Although the social and economic effects of the plague were not the primary cause for the downfall of feudalism and the rise of a mercantile class, most historians agree the Black Death contributed to it.

The Influenza pandemic of the early 20th Century.

As a coup de gras for European societies, the Influenza pandemic followed on the heels of the slaughter of WWl. However, after the pandemic ended, the economies of these Societies, and indeed many of the rest of the World took flight. The survivors no longer wanted to live as they did pre-pandemic. Loss of population resulted in full employment and increased disposable income. That disposable income fueled the development of a consumer society and the distribution of "luxury" items wider though the community.

COVID-19

Fortunately, the number of deaths in this pandemic has not approached anywhere near those of the other two, but it is producing the same sort of changes. Where practicable, people have realised that there is little need to go to offices in order to carry out their occupations. Other people have lost their pre-COVID jobs, but have created new sources of income. There are many, admittedly, whose jobs will be the same after as before, but these people are mostly the makers and handlers of physical things - tradesmen, warehousemen, transport operators, to name a few.

We can't precisely state what or society and economy will look like in 5 years' time, but I'm confident that, barring war, this will be different, but better after that.

• Thanks 1

I think there's something wrong with your link Octave - when I click it it just goes back to the start of this thread.

However if it's a debunking of Nostradamus's predictions I agree - the bugger was so vague that just about any event in human history could be inserted in the predictions.

Plus I can't see a 16th century bloke using the word "economy" in the same way we do now.

• Thanks 1

I think there's something wrong with your link Octave - when I click it it just goes back to the start of this thread.

However if it's a debunking of Nostradamus's predictions I agree - the bugger was so vague that just about any event in human history could be inserted in the predictions.

Plus I can't see a 16th century bloke using the word "economy" in the same way we do now.

oooops

Did Nostradamus Predict the COVID-19 Pandemic?

I was chatting with daughter 1 back in Australia. She said the toilet paper fascination has let up and now it’s soap. Can’t buy soap.

She was also saying there have been reports of hoarders with garages full of the stuff for sale. I’d just confiscate it all and even go through their house and take the same items so they’d have none.

I would think there are a lot of people with massess of dunny paper they were hoping to sell at a huge profit, unable to move it.. They will hae to do a lot of sh!t to get their moneys worth... I guess it wil go that way with soap, but I like the idea of getting dirty ;-)

Unless Australia imports everything, manufacturing should should relatively easily be able to increase production to meet demand, even if it means keeping the production lines open 24x7. Most stuff that we buy would be mass produced, meaning largely automated with a small staff and a few technicians to keep things working. Getting raw materials may be hard? I have no idea.. But that is what has effectively happened here.

I personally know of someone who has finally realised they have enough loo roll to see them through to retirement which is quite a few years off..

After the initial panic buying of dunny rolls, when supplies started to flow again, they came out in packs of 36. We were at the supermarket shortly after the first pallet load was delivered, and bought 1 pack of 36. There are four adults in this house, two toilets. We still have four rolls from that first pack left. So those people who bought trolley loads will be going for a long time.

Why was it bum fodder? Why not Polly Waffles or meat pies or socks? It baffles me,

Yes, as one English commentator put it - "If I thought I was going to be stuck in my house for weeks, I'd be stocking up on Scotch and good books!"

• Like 1

One tragic knock on effect of the coronavirus is the cancelling of the footy. With no Saturday afternoon matches to broadcast, ABC Radio has dis-embalmed Roy and HJ who were slightly funny twenty years ago. Their act is fairly tired these days and consists of incoherent yelling and not much else. I think they ran out of jokes years ago. Thankfully the matches will kick off again before long and they can put these characters back in their box.

Edited by Guest

"One tragic knock on effect of the coronavirus is the cancelling of the footy"

I have this dream that most things get back to Normal after all this...........but not everything:hide:

• Thanks 1

The footy is going well. Although Australians from other states cannot come here, the NZ Warriors are due here today.

I also hear that the footy players will take a wage reduction of 20%. Notice that wages are given in percentages, never in dollars. I wonder what 80% of their wage will be. Seeing how they all have flash cars, expensive homes and can afford to drink vast quantities, I guess that 80% is not a paupers wage.

To a cynic like me it seems that sport and religion are interchangeable and both get away with non compliance with the laws you and I have to adhere to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit, I miss Aussie Rules, and I do agree - as they are now professionals, bring in the big bucks to the sport and their professional lives are shorter than most, there is no reason they shouldn't be compensated, what I despise is the adulation and god-like status attributed to them...

Having said that, there isn't much better entertainment in sport than this and I would say a lot of the money they get is danger money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OY6pgybNK0:3657

I just wonder how it will go, having them all together playing. So far they have not shown up very well in the community awareness field. They appear to think the rules don't apply to them and are stupid enough to post incriminating videos on the web. They certainly don't appear to have much between the ears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think this one falls in line with the thread title of corona virus bizarre outcomes. Face masks are now mandatory in Ukraine and this post office security camera in Kiev shows the lengths some will go to to improvise.

[MEDIA=instagram]CAlBfoYBvSP[/MEDIA]

• Haha 3

Here is a "bizare covid outcome" So I am semi (mostly) retired. I only work 10 hours a week and I am technically a sole trader. The covid lockdown meant that as a music teacher I could not go into the studio I usually teach at. The teaching is now done online but my income ($450 a week) dropped by 30% (although it helped that the month assesed included the school holidays). All this means that I qualify for the job keeper allowance. Applying was far from easy but today there was a nice fat deposit in my bank account from the ATO, $6000 which was for April and May. The scheme is set to go until the end of September but there is talk of it being extended. This does not just compensate for my lost income it has handsomly increased my income. I almost (but not quite) feeling guilty. :thumb up: