Corona Virus - Bizzare Outcomes

Jerry_Atrick

Well it essential for the Ducks to know because they can go somewhere to hide. As a kid in NZ the pond at the local park filled up with Ducks at the beginning of the duck shooting season. They seemed to know it was safe there. I think duck shooting is less popular than it once was. In the 50s almost everyone seemed to have a 12 gauge & opening day was a dangerous time to be anywhere near where the shooters were hiding.

1585701861555.thumb.png.1941d56077c11525d910f2fd5d3f80ad.png

• Haha 1

A few people have full time jobs, Using their shooting skill, whether vermin meat , or putting down injured stock.

How will a farmer manage, TAKE an AXE to humanly put down a dog revenged sheep ?.

Bludi hard to Throw an axe at marauding dog packs.

Last time at the Murry river watched a pack (3) of dogs having a go at Horses in the next field, TWO of which came off the back of a ute.

I really miss my 308. And I wouldn't miss at least two of those Dam canines.

spacesailor

I think WA has better restrictions than Queensland. I think in WA farmers and traditional owners can still buy ammo. In Queensland at this stage , it is a blanket ban on everyone. On the radio, a lady from a feral pest management company in North Qld. said they can't buy ammo and will have to shut down. Wild pigs will love this.

KGW - I think it's probably a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a potential upsurge in domestic violence, as many couples are in constant close contact, putting more stresses on already unhappy relationships, that could send some people around the bend.

Also, I think the authorities are concerned about an increase in suicides due to isolation, and firearms are one of the most common ways of committing suicide. Suicides by firearm dropped by about 60% in the years after the gun buyback.

I heard an A&E doctor saying that the number of admissions due to alcohol fueled violence has dropped significantly since the lock-out started and people weren't getting themselves shattered in pubs. Also vehicle collision related admissions were down

It's an ill wind that blows no man any good.

• Like 2

The gunshop shutdown only effects the legal, law abiding firearm owners. It's the illegal ones the government should be worried about. I'd agree that it's just a knee jerk thing. As far as domestic violence and suicide goes, it won't make a bit of difference as very few firearm owners own zero bullets.

It would have an impact on professional kangaroo and pig shooters if they couldn't get an exemption and ran out of stocks. But sporting shooters won't need ammo or new guns for a fair while yet as all the clubs and ranges are closed because of the virus.

Willedoo, no-one cares too much about the illegal gun owners - after all, they spend all their time arming themselves up against each other, and taking each other out, thus solving the problem.

You probably already know the two main groups I'm referring to, when it comes to illegal firearms - drug dealers and OMCG members.

The number of illegal firearms used in violent crimes against innocent law-abiding people is at an all time low, and I doubt anyone will ever reduce it below the level it's at now.

You could pass laws throwing people in jail for life for owning illegal firearms, and those two same groups would still continue to scrounge up illegal firearms, and continue to use them on each other.

But easy access to legal firearms is something that regularly needs to be looked at, and I think that's what the authorities are taking no chances with, right now.

After all, a lot of police time is now being taken up with enforcing a lot of new movement, association, and national-health-related laws, so they'd be hard-pressed to cope with an upsurge in shootings.

Spacey, I've got no problems with warnings for foreign backpackers, they are turning out to be a very self-centred group, with little interest in following important virus-controlling instructions.

And that opinion is formed from reports by users of other forums, who have come across groups of backpackers ignoring even basic distancing measures - and when berated about their behaviour, they scoffed at the measures.

That's a big problem.

They know No fine's will be payed when they've left.

BUT

This Is different, as it can cost lives,

Don't let them be different to local law-abiding citizens, They deliberately want it caught, & to be over it before returning home. ( great, free medicare here )

I have a niece caught in the epicentre of Austria, a bar maid at that ski resort, out of quarantine & trying to get back to Australia !. ( quarantined & cleaning everything at the same time. )

Big dollars for her family, but only if there's a flight out of Germany.

Should overseas Australians be exempt from other countries laws, just because they're back-packing around this world.

spacesailor

Meanwhile in the U.S., a bit of craziness. The Navy has deployed hospital ships to New York and L.A. to treat non covid-19 patients, the purpose being to take the pressure off the civilian hospitals. A train line runs to the docks in L.A. where the ship is moored and a train driver has cranked his train up to warp speed and crashed it off the end of the line near the hospital ship. Facing a maximum 20 year jail term for train wrecking, the driver has confessed to doing it on purpose. He said he wanted to bring public attention to the ship, and that it's not there to help with the pandemic, but was instead part of an undercover government takeover plot.

I'd guess it was a freight train, not a passenger train.

" No-one is exempt from any laws of the country they are in, whether it's just visiting or working there. "

THEY ARE !.

In Sydney Australians get a fine, NO Excuses.

Back-packer's in Waverley, ( Bondi ) get a second Warning !, NO Bludi fine for foreigners.

spacesailor

" No-one is exempt from any laws of the country they are in, whether it's just visiting or working there. "

THEY ARE !.

In Sydney Australians get a fine, NO Excuses.

Back-packer's in Waverley, ( Bondi ) get a second Warning !, NO Bludi fine for foreigners.

spacesailor

spacey, you're entertaining; I always like reading your posts. It certainly makes the world a little less boring.

I was wondering about things combining to change society.

The body's first line of defence against air-borne germs is the mucous lining of the nostrils. That's why you get a blocked nose with a cold of 'flu. The mucous traps the gems so we can get rid of them by sneezing or clearing our nose.

The medicos have suggested that we take mouthfuls of water about every 15 minutes to flush any germs from our mouths to our stomachs where the stomach acids make short work of germs.

I was wondering if, as a result of the need to destroy these viruses as soon as possible, picking ones nose and chewin' it will become socially acceptable.

Everybody's doin' it. Doin' it

Everybody's doin' it

Picking their nose and chewin' it.

Listen to the chorus of this song:

• Like 1

I thought I’d post my virus musings over here today because the other thread has become a little bizarre and it’s supposed to be about flying outcomes. Can’t bloody fly! Had a crap day yesterday feeling isolated here in Taiwan. Can’t fly back to Aus without 14 day quarantine and I have a work schedule here in 2 factories that’d not get done.

My plan to fly to USA mid May for 3-4 months and pickup tail wheel endorsement from a wonderful old instructor in his 1949 plane don’t look likely.

This is now looking like it should be in the other thread. Bizarre ?

Now, back to it.... Bolsonaro the army captain right wing nut job leader of Brazil was walking the crowds yesterday belittling the virus. “Just a small cold”

Mike Pence denied yesterday that Trump had said pretty much the same thing. He did!

We had the sweating Iranian minister denying isolation as a tactic from the Stone Age while he’s sick with it. The Iranian apparently believes in isolation now!

So, in a just world Bolsonaro and Trump will get Corona Virus. It’s possible.

Face masks....../I had a small online tussle here in Taiwan with a journalist. He was insisting the mass face masks in Taiwan aren’t necessary as indicated up until now by the west. I suspect this was caused by abuse of westerners on the street without masks. Hasn’t happened to me and the Taiwanese are almost always gentle nice people.

My daughter is an epidemiologist and I discussed it with her. She thought it was mainly to do with getting enough masks for health care front line workers. The west is now actively turning toward general face mask use. My argument and it’s just common sense is that you google an image of somebody sneezing and it’s droplets sprayed. Our social distancing rules are obviously about keeping 2m away from the larger droplets.

Bring a face mask into the equation and the droplets expelled are going to be far less. Keep in mind it’s talking, loud talking I guess and laughing as well as sneezing. Why wouldn’t you want the population expelling less droplets?

Then you go to the inhaler. We have a 2m rule. The 2m rule is about being away from the large droplets. It’s also bloody obvious a mask is going to catch some of those droplets.

There just isn’t a downside apart from cultural negative to masks as well as supply.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You need the glasses/shields as well. The eyes are a pathway and taking the contaminated masks off is an issue. You probably need gloves to do that and all has to be disposed of safely. Door handles. What's the use of doing all these things if the doorhandle has just been touched by someone who hasn't? Same with lifts buttons etc and rails on trams. IF you are standing, you have to hang on to something all the time

• Thanks 1

You need the glasses/shields as well. The eyes are a pathway and taking the contaminated masks off is an issue. You probably need gloves to do that and all has to be disposed of safely. Door handles. What's the use of doing all these things if the doorhandle has just been touched by someone who hasn't? Same with lifts buttons etc and rails on trams. IF you are standing, you have to hang on to something all the time

Medical staff are front line and from current pictures I’ve seen they are mostly just wearing the garden everyday variety surgical masks. The i95 is apparently very uncomfortable over a period of time. One can wear the surgical mask all day long. It just unhooks at your ear. Thumb and finger then use the stretchy parts to fling it rubber band like at... wait, I’ve gone off track.

I saw a very nice article yesterday on a doctor who’d come up with a Perspex (polycarbonate by any other name) box that sits over a patient with arm holes for intubation. Hope these get cranked out. Made me think of being a doctor standing like you see in pic. Not sure I’d be brave enough to do that with a known case of corona and minimal protection! I’d rather take off with a (insert dodgy engine of choice) toward a 50ft obstacle with a tail wind.

Point being these staff are front line and if we have masks, hand washing and social distancing/ isolation it’ll probsbly all be over sooner rather than later. Taiwan in point where things are fairly normal subject to current tomb sweeping family gatherings right now. I’d rather have seen the country locked down and it’s probsbly where Australia will be in a month. Success might breed complacency. 44FC21E3-83BB-4B40-884E-31863DC46390.thumb.jpeg.1a9d6715ac935aaf73b293ce7c4ce29a.jpeg

44FC21E3-83BB-4B40-884E-31863DC46390.thumb.jpeg.1a9d6715ac935aaf73b293ce7c4ce29a.jpeg

Peter, I used the tip of a biro. Only problem is, I still have to grab hold of the machine to steady it.

One thing I read is that you should give joggers a very wide berth. If they are a carrier, and at their breathing rate, they are like a big virus spraying aerosol can.