The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

There was a mob of catholic Girls next door to us who said I and my brother were illegitimate. I said "why would THAT be?"and was told my parents weren't married, to which I replied. Hah, but they are!.

No they are NOT married in the Catholic Church. I didn't argue. They were quite nice people. I suppose I should be grateful. In some countries they cut atheists heads off. Our Clan (family) had a stained window in the local Methodist Church which would have meant a considerable contribution somewhere of other. We never had money so they must have really scraped to do that. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Maybe a climate change thread with a bit of religion is a good thing. God is a pretty clever bloke as he made all this wonderful universe in a week. If we all clap loud enough, God might make us a new atmosphere with no holes in it. Surely he would back his product with spare parts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

The Pope's input on this is that humans should repair the damage done. Statements like that and recommending helping the Poor and lame don't go down well with US Republicans with their God want's you to be RICH  attitude and the rest are the way they are because they are not favoured by Dog Allbitey  because they are undeserving.. Capitalism combined with CHRISTianity. How could anything be wrong?  America is blessed and the people are too.... Nev. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Women use passive-agressive methods and think they can get away with it. Such actions as turning a bright light in your face at 3.00 am, piling furniture in your bedroom doorway while you are in bed, throwing coffee over you, refusing to eat a meal you just spent an hour cooking, to name a few. No visible evidence, cannot be verified.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, red750 said:

Women use passive-agressive methods and think they can get away with it. Such actions as turning a bright light in your face at 3.00 am, piling furniture in your bedroom doorway while you are in bed, throwing coffee over you, refusing to eat a meal you just spent an hour cooking, to name a few. No visible evidence, cannot be verified.

Peter, I didn't realise you'd met my ex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

I had better look after my missus , It would be a terrible job training another wife . As it has been 62 years since we said our "   I   DO   " NEXT MARCH.

Tlhe thought of standing at the church waiting for the bride was daugting , the first time.

And you think a second time wouldn't give me a heart attack.  LoL

(  just did a little baby sitting ) I,m exhausted,  the wife too . ' three year old twins + their nine y o, sister.

spacesailor

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

On climate change, I reckon we are like measuring the temperature of a glass with ice in the water. It stays at zero till all of the ice has gone. Smart people would look at the mass of ice getting less and worry. Alas, as a species we are not that smart.

The thermal mass is in the oceans and the solid earth itself. We are measuring the thin atmosphere temperature and thinking it is the influencer.

• Informative 1

The thermal mass of the oceans, plus the latent heat required to melt the remaining ice, yes it is a big deal. I think the ocean is getting warmer and the ice is shrinking....   what do you think PM?

And, while the mass is indeed less, it is the atmosphere which regulates how much heat stays and how much goes into space.

If it were not for the effect of clouds, the calculation of global heating would be easy, you could ask a year 12 science class to do the sums.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

The thermal mass is in the oceans and the solid earth itself. We are measuring the thin atmosphere temperature and thinking it is the influencer.

I don't believe this view is correct. The greatest single source of thermal energy for our planet comes from the Sun. Our atmosphere is like a blanket or sheet on a bed, it governs global temperature.

The greenhouse gases seriously affect the atmospheres ability to govern the earths temperature.

NASA has carried out a vast amount of study of the atmosphere and its interaction with our climate - and they continue to do so today, simply because the interactions between all the factors that affect our climate are enormous, and a lot are still not properly understood. 

Interestingly, NASA thought that a reduction in ice-covered areas would result in a reduction of solar radiation being reflected. Their studies found out, to their surprise, that this wasn't true. Clouds played a bigger part in controlling solar radiation, than reflection from ice and snow.

Our climate is all about balance. The massive amounts of climate inputs, have an inbuilt balancing effect - but our major impacts on our environment in our recent industrial age have certainly made that balance bounce around a fair bit.

Clouds are one of the most fascinating parts of the Earths thermal energy control mechanisms, and I believe the climate scientists still struggle to grasp the huge level of interactions and variabilities that create or dissolve clouds. They continue to make new discoveries every year, and continually modify their ideas on what is actually causing what.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/7373/the-top-of-the-atmosphere

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...