The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

On 21/10/2022 at 2:58 AM, Chris Tarran said:

It gets even better.  We have a company here (Cleve SA) that has just started a pilot project producing a cattle food supplement from a particular species of seaweed.  If we feed a golf ball size of the product to a cow every day it stops a particular process in the cow's rumen and reduces their methane output by up to 90 percent.  With a world population of 150B animals the potential of this is enormous.  Look up a company called CH4 Global or go to the link below.

Cheers

https://www.ch4global.com

May want to tell NZ farmers about it. NZ farmers protests at a new methane tax had them rolling their tractors through Wellington on the news here

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

You really should finish your bathroom reno

Slave driver!

This morning I finished putting up some guttering to stop the back porch getting soaked. I did it in the rain. That proves either that you can get only so wet adn no wetter, or I'm too stupid to come in out of the rain. I'll make a big effort next month to get closer to finishing one third of the house. It will probably take only 2 days to put up the raw gyprock, then a couple to finish if for painting.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Get out your woolies as there is a very cold Antarctic air mass with a cold front heading in to NSW via South Australia with possible snow as far North as Glen Innes. Temperatures are about to go from the mid 20s to the mid teens. Temperatures here on the Mid North Coast are forecast to drop from the high 20s/early 30s to the low 20s in the next few days. 

• Sad 1

This is the coldest Spring I can recall for many years in W.A.. It just won't warm up. We've just had that polar blast, and it created a large low-pressure system over the Northern wheatbelt of W.A. and brought anywhere between 10mm and 50mm to a number of the wheatbelt regions - right through to the S.E. Coast.

There were some major hailstorms in it, and quite a bit of the wheat and canola crops got badly hammered. I'd hate to be a farmer and see a beautiful crop nearly ready for harvest, get trashed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-30/wa-grain-weather-damage/101595024

• Like 1

Years ago I used to get frost here in November and again in early February. Could not grow tomatoes, spuds pumpkin or cucumbers. I'd also get Ice on the dam thick enough to take my weight near the edges (just). NEVER see those things now. Pipes used to freeze in the walls. Used to get snow. . Nev

• Informative 1

The cycles in the weather are very long, with extremes on a regular basis. Go back through the old newspapers and see the extremes reported. We had one of the worst heatwaves on record in 1934.

The Americans have discovered evidence of mega-droughts there, on about 1000-year cycles. Many old civilisations just died out and vanished for reasons not recorded, and extremes in weather cycles are now thought to have caused most of these civilisations disappearances.

If you build an agrarian basic subsistence-level civilisation on good water supplies in your area, and reliant just on regular, consistent rainfall - and the weather/climate changes produce a long period of dry years, your civilisation will wither away, because it does not have the ability to counter the climate change.

Even in just my lifetime (73 years), I've seen a bout of extremely wet years in the 1960's, quite a number of dry years and extreme cold in the 1970's (I saw - 7°C in the wheatbelt around the mid-1970's), a 100-year record drought and extreme temperatures in 1980, a major number of dry years from the early 2000's right through to 2010, which was one of the driest years on record in W.A.

Since 2010, we have seen a steady increase in the number of wet years, with record and near-record crops between 2018 and 2022, thanks to general increases in rainfall. I have little doubt I'll see more extremes in weather patterns yet, before I kick off the planet. The other major planets in our solar system also have an effect on our weather, and scientists still struggle to grasp their impact.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

NONE of us are even 1/2 way to the south pole. Look at the temperatures they go down to in Canada or Siberia. One thing for sure is the % of CO2 is increasing fast and the oceans are more acidic. Methane is a shorter lived problem but more pronounced in the short term. IF the Himalayan ice melts there won't be enough food for 1/3rd of the Worlds population. That's why China 's seeking food security. as well as other materials.   Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

37 minutes ago, red750 said:

You can see how cold it is. Four aircraft profiles in under two hours…

After 70mm last night we were called out to evacuate flood-prone areas. My other half stepped into deeper water than expected and her new iPhone got an expensive bath. 

Today turned sunny and clear, so I opened the camper and laid out bedding, etc. to dry out. I didn’t notice another shower coming in and the whole lot is now sodden! 

I blame Red for distracting me with all those interesting aircraft profiles!

(But you keep it up, mate.)

• Informative 2

For me, cup day was a nice day, six times.

The sun came out six times, it rained a dozen times and hail fell six times.

BTW I am not really halfway to the south pole.

But when a ex mayor of Toowoomba purchased our local pub, and ABC radio interviewed her, she described my home location as "A little pissant town halfway between civilisation and the south pole."

I wear that description as a badge of honor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I wish they never called it global warming, because it is really climate change. Here in Central Qld we have never had such a good year. Everywhere is green where it is usually dry and gold at this time of year. We have just had the third wettest 12 month period in 40 years or so according to my records although the calendar year may well be one of the drier ones. My place looks absolutely beautiful, with green grass and flowering trees. I am glad I put it on the market, because it fetched way more than i expected.

Climate change is real and half of us cannot see it. Big business is flat out denying it. The power stations have stopped maintenance, because  they are told coal is going out, leading to failures and power outages, leading to the LNP declaring that coal should be subsidized.

Who said "It's a mad, mad world?"