The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

You're right, Nev. But, ISTR, especially in the Riverina area of NSW, these long, straight open canals, which suffer water evapouration (and therefore waste). There seems to be a lot of 'em around Australia. The above seems a good idea - more solar and less water evaporation. win/win. And, at least in theory, would reduce the requirement to drain the rivers into the canals. Not saying don't continue with solar farms.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

Somewhere way, way back in this thread there are examples from studies done in Australia of cropping and grazing in solar farms. The panels are not 100% cover like the picture shows over the canals and the result was very low loss of productivity from co-cropping/grazing with reduced water loss and shade/shelter provided by the solar panels. Wool growers reported better quality wool and higher yield from fewer sheep. The term agrivoltaics has been coined to describe the practice

https://www.pv-magazine-australia.com/2022/05/31/graziers-in-nsw-agrisolar-trial-report-improved-wool-quality/

https://esdnews.com.au/growing-crops-under-solar-panels-agrivoltaics-takes-off/

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Who would have thought that an Aussie was behind the US Inflation Reduction Act (or partly at least): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-27/saul-griffith-s-plan-to-electrify-australia/102003020

Read that today.  Looks like he's doing good work to try to electrify his postcode.  Wish we had one like him in every postcode.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The 60c a kWh nearly sent the NSW Government broke back in 2010 as the uptake has massive and thousands of Solar installations of only about 1.5 kW were getting cheques in the mail instead of a bill. It was stopped immediately but those who had contracts for I think 5 years kept getting the credits for that time. I installed my system in 2014 & while it is only 2kW I still export half of what I produce but now the feed in tariff is only 5.5 cents a kWh.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

THAT figure was always totally out of proportion to any proper assessment  At the time a small coal power station I knew of was getting 2.6 Cents and that supplied 24/7.. That's about 9 years ago. I think there's some skulduggery going on in this show. and the losers are US.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They're always on and on about going green - get rid of plastics. We were green before plastic bags.

Top 7 Best cane shopping baskets - Why We Like This - IN

When I was in high school, my Dad brought home an ex-prisoner and gave him a room in a bungalow attatched to the garage. He taught my siblings and I how to weave baskets like the one below, with a 3-ply wooden base.

Cane Baskets - Aqua Handicrafts

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

I an Old enough to remenber those pre plasic bags .

Every one totally & enthusiastically welcomed the END of logging for ' shopping bag ' brown paper.

That always dropped your groceries at the most inappropiate time or place , ( just jumping onto bus ) .

And

The New plastic cloth !.

" poplin , rayon, nylon .

All the women Loved their ' Nylons ' .

spacesailor

• Like 3

A wicker basket is great if you have to pop down to the corner "mum forgot" shop at a time when we didn't have the domestic refrigerators and freezers to store perishables. Today we don't do a daily shop, but weekly or fortnightly. Reusable bags that fold to take up less storage space are the go. Ones made of hessian, a strong, plant-based fabric, are about the best. My wife and I picked up a heap from Tesco and ASDA when we holidayed in England (Waitrose was too up-market for us) in 2012 and I used them still. 

I really object to paying up to 20 cents for a bag which becomes a hand-held advertising placard as soon as I walk out of the shop.

• Agree 1

If you do click and collect,  they bring out your groceries on a 2 wheel trolley in plastic tubs, you then pull out the items and put them in your car.  I just pack them loose and reverse up to our front door, but a couple of heavy duty tubs would make it even easier. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

O M E

We did that same thing '' picked up a heap from Tesco and ASDA when we holidayed in England (Waitrose was too up-market for us '' .

We get asked a lot '' were did you get that bag '' with dog picture on it .

those green supermarket bags are still Plastic , just thicker  .

spacesailor

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

My wife and I picked up a heap from Tesco and ASDA when we holidayed in England (Waitrose was too up-market for us) in 2012 and I used them still. 

They are great, but they are pretty expensive now; £2 or thereabouts. And of course, ol' Eisntein here always forgets to put them in the car when I go shopping! So, now I have a fine collection of hessians and thick plastics from all the major supermarkets...

Yes.. Waitrose is upmarket... Sells the same stuff but for more money. The closest is Wellington, which, IMHO, has worst fresh produce than ASDA (which is noit terribly great).. But, I am off to Waitfrose this morning as it is roast day today, and while their meats are not the cheapest by a long shot, the quality rivals the finest artisan butchers. I will remember to take a bag today!

• Like 1

Woolies are doing away with in-store butchers in many stores, our local one included. Now we have to buy prepacked meat in plastic trays. Our large recycling bin is half filled with these meat trays every week. Worse than plastic bottles, because they are more difficult to crush, or they just spring back. 

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

If prepacked food is a poor seller ! 

Woolies will have to look at a return to a Good butcher .

I was shopping there today & their ' black grapes ' were prepacked at 600 grams .NO SALE.

Bought them loose in Aldi 1.2 kilo, equals two woolies packs , saving $2, something .

spacesailor

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Remember the ABC TV series “The Inventors”?

Always some great new home-grown idea that might change the world. The panel always included a range of expertise and this lady was a pocket rocket even then; now she’s changing the way we make steel!

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/sustainability/in-a-world-desperate-to-go-green-nsw-steel-town-is-providing-a-solution-20230330-p5cwl4.html

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

The biggest shame of all is that our Newcastle steelworks is owned by an American corporate investment group. Getting rid of used tyres has to be the greatest benefit to the nation in the last 50 years.

Everywhere you look there are dumped tyres. We regularly get imbeciles dumping tyres outside our factory units. They need to increase the fines for tyre dumping.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

i've not done any research but there are apparently plenty of things that can be made from old used tyres. When you buy new tyres there is a disposal fee for the old one. What does that cover? Presumably taking it to a tyre dump. The cost of recycling is quite expensive. Maybe the fee should increase to assist with the cost of recycling.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 1