The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

To the extent that water is the limiting factor, ( true for most of Australia )  solar panels will not reduce the carrying capacity of sheep too much. There is plenty of insolation to enable grass to grow. I liked the research which showed better wool from paddocks with solar panels. There was a bale of wool which sold for a million dollars, it came from shedded sheep. 

But roofs are surely a better option ? They have no other uses and they have a good angle built in.

• Like 1

After spending the afternoon desperately trying to divert sheet flows of water from damming up against my little abode, I'm looking forward to a longish dry spell. One won't kill the pasture because the soil is 100% full. That's why I'm getting sheet flows. Unfortunately, my abode is halfway down the slope towards the creek and we all know that sh..t flows downhill. I think the concern of farmers around here is whether or not the ground will be dry enough to get onto it with harvesters come November.

• Informative 2

I was getting ready to ask how you were getting on with floodwaters. Just to the NW of you was reporting some serious flooding.

If you're on sloping land, that's a bonus, at least you can get the water to drain somewhere lower. On flat terrain, you don't stand a chance, you just have to put up with wet feet. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK.. back to the boring climate change debate after a little exciting diversion.. This has sat in my playlist for a while. It makes very interesting watching. I agree, as a wan... er banker (of sorts), the pricing of the energy markets are distorted for the very reason stated.  Interstingly, economists can see the value of moving off fossil fuels.

Most interestingly, the oil lobby (or Exxon) introduced the climate debate to provide a smokescreen..

Happy watching..

• Like 1

I've seen a steam turbine shaft from a power station being reconditioned. The size and complexity of the thing was absolutely staggering - about 15 metres long, about 2.5M in diameter, and row after row after row of exceptionally intricate turbine blades.

This was around 1990, and the reconditioning was costing around $500,000 back then (about 10 times the price of a new Landcruiser in those days). The reconditioners told me a new rotor was worth over $5M, and they had a steady income reconditioning them.

The steam turbines in power stations catch fire too, and they develop cracked turbines, and they explode. But you never see that, as nomadpete says. You can download an article in the link below that goes into detail, as regards the constant problems involved in keeping huge steam turbine rotors operating without blowing up or catching fire.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Steam-Turbine-Rotor-train_fig1_245413012

In 1947, a turbine blew up in the East Perth powerhouse, it caused a lot of damage, but fortunately, no injuries or deaths - purely by good luck, more than good management.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/95532032

• Informative 1

Parts are never going to be available for Plants  with any age to them as designs would be being refined constantly. New super critical ones only operate well at near full output and can't be turned  on at the flick of a switch. Cost/ Kw hour is many multiples of wind and solar and when they fail you are suddenly very deficient in Power. It's gone to zero in a big way.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What an excellent innovation. Now Angus Taylor and his LNP dinosaur mates will have to think up another bit of BS to replace their "We need coal for when the wind doesn't blow & the sun doesn't shine" even though that original statement is BS anyway.

• Like 1