The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

The link below is to W.A.'s latest and newest wind farm - Collgar, near Merredin, around 260-280 kms E of Perth. There are 111 turbines with a capacity of 222Mw, all located on low-rainfall farmland which is mainly cropped for wheat and canola. The Collgar Windfarm supplies 630-750 Gigawatt hrs of electricity annually, and that is around 4% of W.A.'s power needs.

We have a poor supply of coal in W.A. and that coal mine (at Collie, in the SW of the State) has a limited level of coal reserves.

Around 55% of W.A.'s power is generated by Natural Gas turbines, about 25% by coal-powered turbines, about 10% is wind-powered, and about 10% comes from solar-power, and other sources such as hydro and landfill gas.

The Collgar wind farm seems to be quite well-accepted in W.A., and the life of the turbines is predicted to be 30 years.

https://www.collgarwindfarm.com.au/about/

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Who would have thought, forty years ago, that we’d be sitting here discussing all these exciting new developments in renewables.

I’ve long thought the best way to power ships was to launch high altitude kites, controlled by AI, to take advantage of the best winds. Now it’s nearer:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220309-the-kites-flying-to-harness-the-worlds-strongest-winds

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I used to watch every news bulletin, keeping up to date on the issues of the day. Nowadays, after recovering from a few terrible years of The Black Dog, I can’t afford to expose myself to much dispair.

But this story about the destruction of nature, the loss of species, got past my guard. We could lose the biggest, most magestic penguin species. For three years running, all their chicks have died. 

Meanwhile, an overfed, superwealthy white man plots to gain the balance of power so he can open a dirty new coal mine.

I hope enough of our people have the brains to think before they vote.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-08/emperor-penguin-at-risk-of-extinction-due-to-climate-change/101047600

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Old K 

I wasn' t aware of this.

If there was an ANGRY emoticon, I would have used it.

I too, have been avoiding most news, and ALL political political advertising gets instantly muted in my house. It all gets too depressing.

• Like 2

Coal produces more than mere ' ash ' it can be ' cooked ' to produce coal gas, & coke for smokeless burning. 

Has anyone noticed how the plants are growing  ?. Every thing is green & we seem to have a second flowering of ' some ' plants. I think my two tomatoes are ready to harvest. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Coal was cooked to produce coal gas when I was a kid in the UK. Now all the gasometers have been demolished and I doubt that anyone knows what coke is. The think it comes in a red can.

Coal gas powered many cities and coke was a good fuel, unless you pissed on the fire and then the stench was pretty awful, but only a squadie in the army would do such a thing.

I used to fill up the coke fire in the workshop when we arrived for work, pour in half a litre of petrol, with a trail of petrol round the corner. Light the fuel and it was roaring away merrily when we went into the workshop. Try that with coal or wood and the petrol burns instantly without necessarily lighting the fuel.

• Like 1

Coke is essential for the smelting of metal ores, especially iron ore.  {\displaystyle {\ce {Fe2O3 + 3CO -> 2Fe + 3CO2}}}. Since smoke-producing constituents are driven off during the coking of coal, coke forms a desirable fuel for stoves and furnaces in which conditions are not suitable for the complete burning of bituminous coal itself. Coke may be combusted producing little or no smoke, while bituminous coal would produce much smoke. Coke was widely used as a smokeless fuel substitute for coal in domestic heating following the creation of "smokeless zones" in the United Kingdom.

China is the largest coke producer in the world, accounting for over 60% of the world coke production. Where does China get its coking coal? Yep. Another example of short-sightedness by Australia. Imagine if we made the effort to  coke our own coal? We would have the gas as fuel and still be able to export a valuable commodity.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wait a moment, .

IF ( make that a bigger IF ).

SNOWBALL EARTH

Is not normal,

Then this so called ' global warming ' is wrong

As we Are returning to Earths normal temperature! .

IF SO, it,s just the transisinal stage, we are adjusting to, that we winge about. LoL

spacesailor

• 2 months later...