The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

" A I solving unforeseen problems ".

AI will solve those problems .

the same way , management has done it .

" problem , what problem . I see no problem " .

AI will need no 'air' or ' food ' .

When it is the dominant species of Earth .

spacesailor

• Sad 1

Yes it might end badly if A.I. is relied upon to solve big issues such as climate changes.... if it prioitises its own immediate climate requirements above human requirements.

Big business and politicians are alreadly leaning that way.

• Informative 1

What gets me is the humanity has progressed very often because someone had an idea that everyone at the time thought was weird, but the original thinker pressed on and found supporters. From what it see, AI merely accesses the store of Human knowledge and what that knowledge has produced, then shuffles it around to produce something that resembles a result. It lacks the spark on Inspiration that can set the world on fire.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, old man emu said:

It lacks the spark on Inspiration that can set the world on fire.

I'd say that about a lot of recent human activity.

Nothing recent can match the imagination of authors like Jules Vern, Arthur Clark, etc. All recent stories are simplistic rehashes of themes that were imagined centuries ago.

• Like 1

Thinking of

"

In The Year 2889

by Jules Verne

Where he imagines a life unbelievable when he wrote it in 1889, but we live it today. Except he predicted England to become a State of USofA. But he did write it for an American newspaper, so I forgive that.

• Like 1

Someone took Vincent's with confidence and is Now looking for Vincent.'

Hostess on PA. "Would the supernumerary crew Member you gave me the Crabs at Mt ISA please make themself known  to Me after we land at Emerald.  to make  further arrangements.

This drew some comments from the PAx who didn't know they used to keep them cold in the galley  till they could be put in a belly locker that wasn't heated. Nev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Extent of winter sea ice in the Arctic has been stable for the last 20 years.
image.thumb.png.5dacd51920c7ea74341fd47b430de74a.png

That looks like a downward trend to me. Also it seems to be comparing a monhly trend v a longe term annual trend, which distorts the linea trajectory of a (graph) surface. You would have to compae either the same month per years, or the annual average per year/s.

I prefer a more comprehensive Apples v apples comparison like this one: https://www.eea.europa.eu/en/analysis/indicators/arctic-and-baltic-sea-ice. Importantly, as sea ice reflects the suns rays back into space and acts as a reflector, the sea-ice reduction in summer per decate is c. 12.8%...

NASA comes in for a September annual comparison, with a decade decline of a more conservative 12.2% on average isnce 1980.

You can deny all you like, but the numbers are there. If you love your kids and grandkids and further generations and you want them to life in a (relatively) safe world, you'd want to do something about it.

BTW, CERN, a nuclear physics research institure recognise it, and are trying to drop their emissions by 28%. I live next to the Royal College of Surgeon's (UK) chair on climate change.. the stuff he can quote chapter and verse scares me. All fact and data driven.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It won't worry the ROCKS that much. . Any farmer whose had his place for long knows things are changing. Plenty  of places that were OK for grapes 40years ago are NO GOOD now They are very heat sensitive.   Nev

• Like 1

8 hours ago, onetrack said:

It's official. Perth has just had the driest 6 months ever recorded since European civilisation commenced, and weather records started around 150 years ago here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-01/impact-of-perth-dry-spell-on-wa-water-supply-explained/103646216

OK, I declare Onetrak a winner.

What can we compete for next?

• Haha 1

It's ONLY DIRT till it's dug up. WA State of EX crement or eX citement or something. . The Freemantle Doctor will fix it.  If at first you don't Secede, Try Try again. Kalgoorlie is more Holey than Macca.  That must be a good spot to deserve all the water being pumped  to there? Does it  make HAY when the sun shines? It's BIG enough  to sort of get lost finding the railway station.. I managed it..  Nev

• Informative 1