The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

When I was a kid we used calgon in the bath to try to get the soap to lather in the bore water. It was in powdered form like washing powder and was like sitting on sand in the bath. It was hard water but at least it didn't smell too bad. The town water in some western Queensland towns smells like rotten egg gas and the smell stays on you after having a shower.

• Sad 1

Shortly after we got married in 1972, my wife and I moved to Adelaide for 3 months on (my) work transfer. If you left the tap over the bath dripping overnight, you would have a dirty brown mark to clean off the tub in the morning. My wife had a cousin who lived in Adelaide, and he said the water was so bad, his wife used lemonade to clean her teeth.

• Informative 2

We use double water filters - 10 micron "rocks and debris" spun cotton filter and a 1 micron charcoal filter. The difference in taste between tap water and the filtered water is quite noticeable.

We get about 40% of our water from underground (the Gnangara Mound) and 2 desalination plants, with the rest coming from a number of dams in the Hills above Perth.

But our water is high in calcium because of the prevalence of limestone in the coastal plain, and the filters don't get the calcium out.

The worst water I've ever encountered was in Nhill, Vic. It was nearly impossible to raise a lather in the shower or bath, and your hair went like wire the next morning.

• Informative 1

The worst water I have seen or tasted was St George. I was told there was two supplies - one from the river to flush the toilets (so brown I couldn't see whether number two was still there), and sulphurous bore water for drinking. After a week there when I came home, I smelt so bad, I was sent to the shower to get the smell off before the family would even greet me.

Climate change seems to be contributing to redistribution of vital drinking water in some countries.

• Sad 2

That's why Adelaide BEER is so crook.. the water is Murray River water. The shower water at Winton (I think it was) smelled like the crater of a volcano or rotten egg gas. H2S. If you smoked in there it would probably ignite.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

“there is going to be a multidimensional energy system in the future, [and] oil and gas will continue to have an important role in stabilising that system for a long, long, long time to come”

Shell CEO Wael Sawan.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

“there is going to be a multidimensional energy system in the future, [and] oil and gas will continue to have an important role in stabilising that system for a long, long, long time to come”

Shell CEO Wael Sawan.

Seems pretty obvious. Noticed that he wasn't game to put percentages on his prediction, though.

• Agree 1

The day that car manufacturing companies and oil companies gained shared directors on their respective boards was the day the worlds consumers of car lost out big-time. It took decisive action by the U.S. Govt to force fuel-economy standards on the car manufacturers.

• Like 1

GM's eternal Aim was to not electrify anything. In the good old days we didn't conceive of being able to affect the Planet by burning hydrocarbons. Plastic is somewhere near as bad for People now as Hydro carbons are.  Nev

• Agree 1

It's been reported that GM and its automotive manufacturing allies ensured no tram or passenger rail network would become a large part of Americas transport system, because any increase in trams and trains would seriously impact their profits.

• Informative 1

That's been a constant attitude, for  well over 100 Years. I used to be rusted on GM Delco Remey elecrics  Allison etc. Gone off them a bit Lately. THEY only survived by BORROWING from THE OBAMA Gov't but still flew everywhere on their OWN Private jets. It was over controlled from Detroit always. Too centralised.

• Informative 1

Stepdaughter is a senior manager in Beach Energy and they've got a new CEO who is going through the company like a dose of Epsom Salts. Firing people left, right, and centre, and ceasing all exploration. She's fully expecting to be marched out of the place shortly, even though she holds an important position. The future for oil and gas is obviously looking bleak, the new CEO is sacking 30% of Beach Energys employees.

Edited by onetrack
  • Sad 1

My friend who works for Ericsson in Sweden tells me that they are going to lay off 2500 employees because of the use of AI. My friend is a project manager. I wonder how AI can handle the inevitable unseen problems that arise with every project.  

• Informative 1