The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

In the last week or two there has been a notable change in press reporting and public statements from authorities. We seem to have crossed the hump of climate craziness and now there is an acknowledgement that we will need oil and gas for decades to come. Australian governments are rushing to catch up. Larry Fink of Black Rock has changed his investment direction. There is hope!

• Sad 1

Apart from extremist 'climate craziness' at BOTH ends of the seesaw, I wasn't aware of any moderation in media frenzy either way. The pro anti-oil and gas folk have acknowledged the need to seriously cut down our rate of BURNING fossil fuels. Raising oil to use as lubricant is not causing atmospheric pollution and has not (as far as I noticed) been hyped up much, if at all.

Gas is probably the least worst stuff to burn, but it is wise to reduce our rate of burning ALL such fuels because whether solid, liquid or gass. The residue of burning results in pollution - shitting in our own nest. There is more to it than CO2.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Agree 1

And COAL powered ones are no problem? Some OF that stuff looks rather old. Lake Macquarie fish can't be eaten because of Vales Point ASH. Want a nuclear Plant near you? Where is the cooling water required coming from? Nev

• Agree 1

Power generation has problems no matter what method is used. Everone loves to post pictures of wind turbine failures. They are so easily seen.

I first saw mass fish kills back when Vales Point power station (Lake Macquarie) started operation. Not newsworthy. There probably have been a lot that I wasn't there to see.

What about the thousands of acres of land that now is unfit for human use due to un-rehabilitated coal mines in the whole region? Hardly ever in the news.

Or the respiratory problems experienced by people living near the uncovered coal train corridor to Brisbane? Got a brief mention then all on the back burner and no action.

And the toxic tailings dams and the ash dams that kill migratory birds? Not  newsworthy.

Did Queenslanders hear about Tarong power station secretly using 80 gigalitres of drinking water per day during the big drought? Not in the news.

Where I lived there were ongoing lawsuits against underground coal mines due to homes damaged by mine subsidence. Not in the news.

Not many pictures of failed steam turbines either but they do happen and are more explosive/expensive than the occassional  windturbine failure.

Media doesn't seem to report much about the problems associated with burning fossil fuels.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

IF we had a truthful Media everything could be easily sorted out. Money controls it. Money is served by it. Why do you think K Rudd is copping it from Merdey. Rudd got 1/2  a million signatures on a Parliamentary Petition into the Merde Media and Rupee's not going to forgive THAT. It's REVENGE pure and simple and where does it STOP? It's FOREIGN Owned to boot.   Nev

Edited by facthunter

Yes.. And keeping us on power generated using fossil fuels will result in the same.

15 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Not many pictures of failed steam turbines either but they do happen and are more explosive/expensive than the occassional  windturbine failure.

Absolutely right. I saw the inside of a turbine hall about 6 months after the shaft ate itself up while under full load.. it wasn't pretty and extremely lucky people weren't in the hall at the time. Turns out, it would be more than a year offline. At £1m/day lost revenue (it was a nuke), that was a hefty cost. Can't recall what the overall repair bill was.

• Informative 1

Well, you don't have to be.

Our neighbours are not connected to the grid and have used their own solar and wind for the past 15 years.  They've even installed a gas bag thingy where they shovel in cowshit at one end and the other end runs to a gas hob on their stove.

I'd love to get a big battery, more solar and not have any more goddamn power bills.

• Like 3

The COST of being hooked up to the grid is about the same as renting two Oxy bottles. You'd be flat out tig welding off grid.   If we get Communal batteries your excess electricity will be used  and be more valuable..   Nev 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If you don't mind  taking responsibility for stuff, going your own way is cheaper than joining the community schemes.

I don't have garbage collection service. I sort and compact my trash and when the bin is full, I take it to the garbage dump and pay to dump it. Costs about 7.50 a month. What does your council charge for sulo bin service?

My water tanks and pump are looking like lasting at least 20 years. About $75 per quarter. What are water rates in cities?

Unfortunately  I am grid connected, but my rooftop solar and usage pattern helps - average bill is $275 per quarter. And we do use the A/C.

Today I  set up solar lighting for a friend. He scored an old ex rootop solar panel for a few dollars and a couple of old lead/acid batteries from a recycler. Although he does not expect to run a fridge yet, he at least has lighting and no electricity bills at all.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 2

Depends on how much you value your own time and what your total bill is currently. I'm NOT paying anything like some of the rates I hear of.  We spend a bit on Wood when It gets real cold and it's windy at the same time. Crap wood blocks up the chimneys FAST. .   Nev

2 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Wood when It gets real cold and it's windy at the same time. Crap wood blocks up the chimneys FAST. .   Nev

I don't have that problem. Maybe your chimney wont block up so fast if you stop crapping on your wood?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nomadpete said:

My water tanks and pump are looking like lasting at least 20 years.

I've got a 5,000 gallon aquaplate tank that's just clocked up 30 years and still holding water. When I put it down, I blackjacked the bottom and around the outside joins of the rings. The tank makers run goop around the inside joins and over the exposed screw ends, but I doubled up on it to make sure. I also had a non aquaplate zincalume tank that lasted about 25 years before leaking. It will be all poly tanks from now on, but the old tin tanks have served me well.

The best thing I've ever had is gravity fed water from the tanks. Not big pressure at the house but the running costs are low. It also runs about another 400 metres downhill through 1.5" poly pipe and about 300' of head at the bottom. Crack a tap there and it's almost like a gerni.

• Like 2

When I put in my little 400 litre drinking water storage, made from two plastic olive barrels, I gave them a good coat of the same paint that I was using for the wall behind them. I figured that the UV light would have to destroy the layer of paint before it got to the surface of the barrels. I also painted all the PVC rainwater pipes.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

You NEVER try to save a migratory Bird that's really ill. What they may be carrying can kill you. Herons for example. Fly vast distances and feed in swamps. Many die from disease on the way..  U/V and sunlight may help sterilise  the water. Councils use CHLORINE to meet WHO standards.  it will rot the Innards of a BRASS tap and brass screen filters.. You will often smell in the water at the local pub Bistro. Nev

• Informative 1