Don't get me wrong here, But I LIKE Donald Trump.

Phil Perry

He is sitting not too badly in the betting stakes

Sadly, it looks like the desire not to indict a former US president is gathering steam, and there have been resignations in the NY District Attorney's office in protest - and that is avoiding prosecuting his company rather than himself.

Seems it doesn't matter what the institution is or what the stakes are, they gather around to protect themselves.

image.png

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I have been keeping up to date with Trump news.. and he is in a spot of bother.. The DoJ is pressing with criminal investgiations on his removal of classified documents, and there is a Florida judge he has appointed, that does his bidding, but the 11th circuit appeals court has bade shoret shrift of that. There is a class civil action against him (need more details); the capitol riots close in, there is a criminal investigation into his attempt to commit election fraud, he holds rallies with fewr and fewer poeople attending and claims senators who lost, won, etc etc (or yada yada, if you're American).

He may well be in jail by the time the next election comes unless DAs block the charges.. improbable though...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

From our distant perspective - and remember, we mostly get murdok news, it all looks like so much pizzin in da wind.

All a lot of background manoevering but no real action.

If they haven't got their legal ducks in a row yet, what hope is there of bringing him to face court?

Hopefully, they are playng the long game, stringing him along so he DOES run again, therby blocking other republican candidates? Then get him into court at the last monent??

• Like 1

I read recently that there is no law in the USA to prevent trump running for President even if he is in jail. I guess that the founding fathers never thought that this would ever be a possibility so didn't put it in the constitution.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-14/the-legally-crazy-tactics-donald-trump-is-taking-to-avoid-charge/101420494

Edited by kgwilson
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 2

The more I read, the less hope I have for democracy. It seems that democracy suffers from all the same problems that Russia and China have. Corruption, lack of ethics, wealthy oligarcs steering policy or public spending, etc.

Government of the wealthy, by the wealthy, for the wealthy.

So, is democracy still the best we can come up with?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The Ukrainian war had me thinking about the best system of government. Putin was still liked, even revered by most of the population despite his autocratic - no - tyrannical reign. What should have been warning signs that incurred the wrath of the people, the people acquiesced as if nothing was wrong. In fact, for them, nothing was wrong. The suspicious suicides, rise of the oligarchy, political power grabs, the shutdown of what independent media they had, the declaration of war, etc. It wasn't until the announcement of the mobilisation - i.e. where the people were threatened - that people started to get agitated and angry. The original wrath of the Russian mothers - apparently so feared - did not materialise - until now..

I was speaking to a bloke from either Croatia or Yugoslavia who lived there as a kid and teenager during the communist era. His view was it was a relatively good life - income was guaranteed, as was basic facilities - roof over the head, food in guts, and clothes. Other accountments such as cars, were affordable to most (even if they were the boxy Skodas). There was very little crime - mainly a few drunks having a go at each other or beating their wives. Women generally felt safe walking the streets, and all was OK - as long as you didn’t question the government or local officials. Then things got nasty. But, for the average person, life was stress free.

The ABC wrote a piece on their web site where for the majority of Putin's regime, inwardly it worked - words to the effect that Russians surrendered their democratic rights and freedoms (but not totally) for stability and relative security (internally). The fact he invaded Ukraine, that the population didn't stand up - and in many cases supported him, apart from the propaganda, shows that when the chooks are fed, they are happy - the population have ignored all the signs up until the point of them being threatened.

Is democracy any better? Well, as we saw in both the US and Australia, corruption exists no matter what method of government exists. In the US, we have witnessed an attempt to bring communism (or new wave communism) into the presidency. Ironically, supported by the very part that is supposed to be opposed to it and in the 80s and 90s, had a catchphrase of "I would rather be dead than red". Trump has shown as long as you keep the chooks fed, they will support you. Thankfully, in his case, he didn't feed enough of them well enough and long enough. In US culture, it is impossible to feed all the chooks.

Australia, the UK, Europe, and, well, virtually every other democracy - especially those with larger populations have had an expose of corruption laid bare. One of the good things about democracy is that, at least the public can turn over the people who are to be the recipients of the benefits of that corruption (I don't believe any government is incorrupt). So, it is better than an autocratic system such as communism in that way. But corruption has been a way of public life in Aus as far as I can remember. When I was a kid, there was the endless allegations of NSW police corruption (as if the other states forces were free of it). There have been political corruption exposes as long as I can remember. It has been that lately, they have been far more brazen about it, or at least it has been able to be more discoverable and has become exposed as such.

I don't think there is any system of government that would be a marked improvement, would stamp out corruption and run society for the greater good. Culturally, the west (USA excepted) care more for society as a whole.. but this is a cultural thing, because different societies have a different level of caring - it is not a product of a particular style of government - there have been benevolent dictators of past. Sadly, US style greed is seeping into other societies, which is that personal property rights is the nirvana and everything must be done to protect it. This is so ingrained into our thinking and our societal structure, that we cannot even fathom life without it.. our very personal safety and security (financial, social, and physical) are so tied to it, that we cannot break it.

But this very characteristic provides the fuel for corruption, because the more personal property I have, the more financially, socially, and physically secure I am.. and the more power I have, which further propels my security forward. Without this necessary ingredient, corruption can't flourish. which means, that no matter the style of government we have, where power is concentrated that can manipulate the allocation of personal property, there will always be corruption.

I wonder how much corruption there was of the various native tribes around the world.. I am sure there were the occasional issues, but on a systemic basis of global society today?

Let's just hope the vast majority of the chooks are fed well enough.. as there is nothing more dangerous than a hungry, well-armed nation (I am quoting someone else on that one).

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

…Let's just hope the vast majority of the chooks are fed well enough.. as there is nothing more dangerous than a hungry, well-armed nation (I am quoting someone else on that one).

Pushing my wheelchair/walker around for the last few weeks, I had to focus on what I was stepping on. Pavers and cobblestones in England tend to be much larger than in France.
I have a nebulous theory that the French deliberately install cobblestones small enough to be easily ripped up and used as ammunition against oppressive governments!

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I was astounded at the level of corruption in Australia when I first arrived here. NZ used to be the least corrupt country in the world. Now that place seems to have slipped since the labour government has a large majority & does not have to rely on partners to govern. Transparency international which publishes the ratings still have Denmark, Finland & NZ as 1st equal in the least corrupt countries in 2021. Australia is slipping in the rankings and is now at No 18. The US of A is languishing at No 27 the same spot as Chile. Russia is ranked at 136 out of 180 countries.

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2021

Edited by kgwilson
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1