Don't get me wrong here, But I LIKE Donald Trump.

Phil Perry

Corey Bernardi tried that stunt  here. Now he's completely GONE. Of course Australia is a completely different place. (so far).  It's not fair to compare Corey with Trump. Trump is a weirdo of a very special kind. Unique I hope for the sake of the World. Unfortunately he's set a very rotten example and gotten  away with it. Copy cats will do what they do best.  Copy. Nev

• Agree 1

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be a slow but steady decline in Trump support as more and more of his shenanigans come to light, post the Presidency.

He doesn't have the protection now that that post afforded, so there's going to be some guns drawn on him.

Couple that with a likely mental and physical deterioration of Trump himself over the next 4 years, and he will rapidly become a "has-been".

I wouldn't even be surprised to see Melania leave him shortly, and the possibility of him dropping dead, from some medical event, is also quite likely.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, onetrack said:

and the possibility of him dropping dead, from some medical event, is also quite likely.

Yes.. My son thought that condition could be the onset of being shot. I explained to him that is unlikely as the sterotype of those who are likely to pull off such a stunt are likely to be his supporters..

52 minutes ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Yes.. My son thought that condition could be the onset of being shot. I explained to him that is unlikely as the sterotype of those who are likely to pull off such a stunt are likely to be his supporters..

Some of his staunchest supporters such as those at the Capitol building may be feeling that they were "fighting like hell" and  carrying out "trial by combat" etc. like he asked and now they are facing jail time, meanwhile Trump is playing golf and has thrown them under a bus. These folks may well wish Trump ill.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I wonder why no Federal Law Enforcement body has charged Trump with sedition or incitement to riot at least. Surely his words and the facts they created are proof positive of these offences. 

Treason could be involved. According the the Constitution of the USA, there are two ways to commit treason: levying war against the government or providing aid or comfort to the enemy. Levying war isn’t limited to formally declaring war. It includes any forcible opposition to the execution of a public law. Such “forcible opposition” ordinarily requires actual use of force by multiple people with the common purpose of preventing some law from being enforced. Weapons aren’t always required; sheer numbers can be enough.

58 minutes ago, old man emu said:

I wonder why no Federal Law Enforcement body has charged Trump with sedition or incitement to riot at least.

In the case of USA v Nixon, the slim majority of the full bench of the US Supreme Court held that an ex-president jhas immunity from prosecution for actions in office. They then went on to say it was not absolute, but a presumtion; the wording indicates it is a strong presumption. I would wager his actions are strong enough to rebut the presumption, but it could be that Supreme Court bench loaded with Trump nominees may find some hair splitting evidence that gives reason why the rebuttal is not strong enough.

In McConnell's speek, he stated that he did not think that the actions amounted to criminial liability of incitement, despite the damning blame he levelled at Trump for inciting it. Under the laws of both the UK and NSW, there would be a prima facie case against Trump - probably a very strong one - but I have no idea on what jurisdiction the incitement crime would come under, let alone the laws that apply. However, I would be surprised if they were too different to those in other common law jurisdictions. And I would be surprised if the authorities are not at least looking into it.. To create the numbers of Republicans to cross the floor, especially when you consider how silent they remained during Trump's term, it shouldn't be wept under the carpet so quickly.

That whole Mitch McConnell speech was crocodile tears-like IMHO...

Were the crimes alleged against Nixon anywhere near as bad as those alleged against Trump? 

How can any legal system say that any person subject to it can have immunity from prosecution for any breach of the Law? It's one thing to prosecute an allegation of a crime. It is a completely different thing to pass sentence upon the finding of guilt. Joe Citizen can be prosecuted and have a finding of guilt. After that there comes the question of reasonable punishment.

In the simplest case, a person can plead "Guilty" to an allegation to finalise the prosecution.  A Court can then consider all sorts of pathways to take to enforce on the convicted person the opinion of Society that what the convicted person did was not acceptable. Note that I use "convicted person" after the finding of guilt.

In Australia, those pathways range from a Bond to be of good behaviour in the future, though monetary penalty or loss of various licences, to incarceration. Whatever pathway the Court sends the convicted person along, there has been a prosecution.

I agree, OME... In fact, I believe that not only shoud public officials, elected or not, should be able to be prosecuted for actions commtted in office, but, upon being found guilty, the sentencing guidelines should be that there is a premium added to the sentence in these conditions, because a person in a position of trust to the community has abused that trust or their position for gain - and they are usually in a position of power that Joe Citizen does not have...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Trump took the "usual " oath of office and ignored it. There's plenty of other ways he may face prosecution. Mitch is trying to have a two way bet which won't work. The GOP Republicans have dealt themselves a cancer of the heart and soul of their party. Trump couldn't give a stuff about the fate of the Republican party. He USES people and any "thing" which helps HIM till there's no more left then he ditches them. Eventually HE will run out of people who will fall for it. There's already a formidable army of ditched helpers who know a lot that can damage him, and why would  they not LOVE a chance to even the score? At present that entails some risk of retribution by his rusted on adherents but they don't like a LOSER as Trump will increasing appear to be.   Nev. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

12 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

In the case of USA v Nixon, the slim majority of the full bench of the US Supreme Court held that an ex-president jhas immunity from prosecution for actions in office.

I believe that Nixon resigned and was granted a pardon by Ford for all crimes committed whilst in office.  My understanding is that there are no legal barriers to charge a former president but it is considered not likely to go ahead.    The infamous call to Georgia's Brad Raffensperger seems to be pretty incriminating.   Apart from that Trump is likely going to be spending the rest of his life in court (or more likely his crack team of lawyers).  He owes a few dollars to Deusche bank and they are getting a little impatient 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If the Republicans really believed that the vote counting system was corrupt, they would be taking steps to openly initiate electoral reform. I'd say the lack of action on this front indicates they are afraid to do that because they (quietly) believe that the election wasn't 'stolen'. But they're happy to let DT carry out all his beligerant accusations on their behalf. Which indicates to me just how much that party lacks ethics.

Please don't take that as my endorsement of the other mob. Because there's every possibility that the Dems are ultimately just reverting to 'business as usual'. Given time, that will surely lead to a more serious insurrection by disaffected voters.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

His "Brain" will never be able to comprehend HE LOST the election to the  "Worst Candidate in the World" as HE described Joe Biden. Trump has always had someone else  take the blame for any failings he may have had. His penchant for revenge is  alarming and a part of this. He will destroy the republican Party if need be to advance his personal position. He's looking remarkably UGLY these days. How will HE cope with that? He's also far from fit or healthy and NOT much younger than Joe and owes money. and the BRAND is definitely somewhat tarnished with all but the weird mob for whom he can do NO WRONG.. Nev

• Agree 2

I wish you were right about the last bit Nev.  But however tarnished his brand is to the world at large, he still holds alarming thrall over most of the Republican party because they are scared of him splitting it if he takes his nutjob supporters away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I see in the news that the CEO of a pillow making company said he's taking the election result to the Supreme Court and that Trump will be back in office by August. I often wonder how the crazy person to sane person ratio in the U.S. compares to us here in Australia.

• Like 1

Huh?  I didn't say it.

Not saying ScoMo's any great shakes but he hasn't done a bad job on the pandemic, and Rudd handled the GFC just fine.  Even Howard at least brought in good gun control.  The only comparison to a Trump figure here would be if Latham, Palmer or Hanson got the top job.  Even Dutton probably wouldn't quite get there, although I'm sure he'd do his best to make life a lot worse for everyone.

Ol' Donald is really suffering from the Lack of Relevance Syndrome now.

He turns up to make a speech at a wedding, and virtually ignored the young couple, while he went on a rant about how he won the election, and was robbed of the Presidency.

He really does live in La-La Land.

If it wasn't for the fact that the wedding crowd were all dyed-in-the-wool Trump true believers, he probably would've been booed out of the reception.

The lucky couple got one line of praise from him. What a bunch of imbecilic fools.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/marriage/donald-trump-gives-wedding-speech-at-maralago-focuses-on-his-political-grievances/news-story/7badadd7074b8cd1aa14eaa12ebfe7d8