Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

GM are going to produce an electric-drive Hummer pickup in 2021. They have already put out teaser ads for its release on May 20, this year.

Ford is well advanced on its electric F-150 pickup, slated for release in 2021.

Tesla has shown off its (fugly) pickup, slated for production sometime in the near future.

Rivian is trying to enter the electric pickup market without ever having produced or sold a complete, working model to anyone.

All this, into an electric pickup market that is essentially tiny - because Red-Blooded, Hairy-Chested, Diesel pickups will still be available when the electric pickups come off the production lines - and they will sell side-by-side.

If anyone believes that electric pickups with no sales history, no reliability record, no country-wide standardised electric recharging system, and limited range - are going to outsell diesel pickups in the first year by a factor of 10 to 1 - then I've got some prime waterfront property just adjacent to the scenic Blackstone Range, for you to invest in.  :cheezy grin:

• 1 year later...

At the end of the day, you've got a 1/4HP motor. That to me, means plenty of pedalling! - particularly into headwinds or up steepish slopes!

I quite enjoy peddling my old (regular-style) treadly around - but if I was going to go electric, I reckon I'd want a bit more than 1/4HP in a motor.

I was driving home one evening in my Hilux, and a cyclist came barrelling along the main arterial road towards me, in the kerbside lane, as I waited to turn right.

He was fairly moving, keeping up with the traffic easily, and he sure wasn't doing any pedalling!

As he zipped past, I saw he'd mounted a 3HP Briggs & Stratton to a rear rack, and this was driving the rear wheel via some kind of pulley and V-belt arrangement!

Not exactly legal! - and I never saw him again! I don't know if Mr Plod caught up with him, and put him off the road - or  if he ran under the back of a truck!

I don't reckon his braking arrangement would've matched his power arrangement! But he sure had no trouble doing 60kmh with the setup. Might've been a relative of Colin Furze? :cheezy grin:

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

At the end of the day, you've got a 1/4HP motor. That to me, means plenty of pedalling! - particularly into headwinds or up steepish slopes!

It may only be250 watts but  it provides quite a lot of power.  The power input from the motor relies on a sensor that measures you pedal cadence (in order to comply with the law in this country)   It does have a throttle setting that will propel at 6km on level ground without pedaling. This is an artificial limit again to comply with the law. It also has a setting that you can get if you made a small mod, this is legal but only off road.  This will give approximately 25km with no pedaling on flat ground.

There are 5 levels of assist so if you are feeling lazy you can let the motor do all the work but the way I use it is to modify the effort I have to put in. On the level I use usually use zero input but kick it up a little when encounter a hill.  I did 20km which I could do anyway however I would have struggled with some of the hills.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Jerry, there are a couple of real performance ebije makers in USA and of course Asia. What would worry me about your linked example is

"Li-ION cylindrical cell array in structural magnesium housing"

I hope they have a good BMS otherwise it could go pyrotechnic!

• Agree 1

Just to put the 250w motor in perspective, the average cyclist  produces 200-300w.  This motor has the effect of adding the power of another cyclist but without the extra weight.  This makes even steep hills no more challenging than cycling on the flat.

Edited by octave
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Janus electric truck solution is exactly what I proposed elsewhere as the solution to the potential EV charging problems - bottlenecks at charger points, and time lost waiting for a recharge.

Swappable batteries is a no-brainer. They can be charged with cheap off-peak power when most of the country is asleep.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 3

Decades ago a lot of Government buses were built in Tamworth; they were constructed on extended Scania truck bodies, with the Diesel engines converted to natural gas. When they were driven to Sydney one broke down on the Mooney-Mooney bridge, having run out of gas.

I believe that in service the pallet of gas cylinders was designed to be quickly swapped.

• Informative 1

11 minutes ago, onetrack said:

The Janus electric truck solution is exactly what I proposed elsewhere as the solution to the potential EV charging problems - bottlenecks at charger points, and time lost waiting for a recharge.

Swappable batteries is a no-brainer. They can be charged with cheap off-peak power when most of the country is asleep.

If all the manufacturers could agree to standardize removable batteries across all EV manufacturers it'd be a damn good start.  How the hell they do that, I don't know.

• Agree 2

It just takes one strong Govt leader to seize on setting up a task force to set standards for EV systems. Standardisation of power plugs, battery dimensions, connectors and all other important features must be done now and done by the Govt.

Leaving standardisation to individual companies will only mean a multitude of incompatible systems that will hold the country back. Imagine having twenty different mobile phone systems, and a hundred different wavelengths for phones? It would have happened, if the Govt hadn't set the standards initially.

• Like 2