Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

Elon Musk suddenly lost $274 mil.

The share price dropped I believe 6% and has now gone up 5%[ATTACH]50460._xfImport[/ATTACH] 

Steel ball was somewhat fool hardy I feel especially after having a few goes before the event.  I am not sure why anyone would want such tough glass really.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1198090787520598016

I bought shares in Tesla just before Q3 and they have done quite well. It will be interesting to see what effect the start of production form the China gigafactory will have on sales.

Like or hate the new design it is exciting to see innovation happening rather than the tiny incremental changes we usually get.  I certainly would not buy a cybertruck because I do need a truck of any sort, if I did I would probably be interested.

Tesla Cybertruck To Join Dubai Police Force

tesla.thumb.png.9326d26024de5e3c728132fcd95f486d.png

The Federal Pollies have them. SO it must be OK.  Nev

Nev, I'm making a big assumption here, but Politicians as protected persons probably have an exemption. My logic is, why would they ban the public from having bullet proof vests, yet allow them to own a bullet proof car. If there's no existing legislation covering it, I would think they'd introduce it.

Maybe it's invisible to police radar - looks like it is modelled on the F117.

In the release presentation, Musk had a chap throw a ball or rock at the front door window - it smashed. So he threw one at the window behind the door - it smashed also. Elon Musk suddenly lost $274 mil.

I don't know if he's accurate in his facts, but one reviewer said that they'd hit the window 50 times previously before it broke.

It certainly looks to have a low radar signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont believe our problem is a lack of cheap labour. That's just a anti union, right wing propaganda.

I believe it's due to a lack of investment in technology. All you need is the right robots, and some material handling automation.

We have been lacking any signs of long term investment (apart from selling off farms, and mines), for many many years.

We also have a stultifying and bloated bureaucracy here in Australia.

The only thing they produce is poverty. Some other countries are even worse off, and a few are better.

China went through this stage hundreds of years ago, and they were turned into a failed state.   Now they are better than us by far...  just ask Bex.

I reckon that they constitute a serious obstacle to doing anything here.

I dont believe our problem is a lack of cheap labour. That's just a anti union, right wing propaganda.

I believe it's due to a lack of investment in technology. All you need is the right robots, and some material handling automation.

We have been lacking any signs of long term investment (apart from selling off farms, and mines), for many many years.

In years to come people will finally realise how bad was the economic management of Australia-

particularly by LNP governments.

Te LNP governments are really good. They have told us so, so many times that we believe it.

Since the golden age of LNP, starting around Little Johnny's time we have seen all our manufacturing go offshore and our only product is bulk coal or iron ore.

Our government does nothing to promote processing of our base materials.

We used to have a steel industry, think Newcastle, Port kembla and Whyalla, plus ship building.

The car industry is gone and now we have to import just about anything we need. I think that even the types of aluminium we use for aircraft are produced overseas, even though we do have a big aluminium industry.

Even our agricultural industry is given a raw deal in the free trade agreements that the LNP have negotiated.

On tp of all this they are buying up big for the US arms machine and the costs are blowing out by billions and the delivery times are ridiculous.

I really cannot understand how the voting public can keep falling for the lies they are told.

I certainly don't know how they fell for the last lot.

Some political commentator on the radio yesterday was talking about Labor's loss and was saying that in some quarters there's a view that people who voted for the LNP were voting against their own interests, voting against the climate, voting against the economy, voting against health & education, and were therefore stupid.  She was making the point that such a view will not win votes next time, so was unhelpful.

My thought was "despite being bloody true!"

The sad thing is that Labor proved that being a big target by putting up well-considered and costed policies only gets you shot down by the voting sheep, so they won't do that again.  Whereas the conservatives had no actual policies, and in fact had already given up on winning the election that a pack of senior members had resigned.

What the LNP/One Nation/Palmer voters achieved was nothing more than making all politicians even more cowardly and loathe to actually lead than they already were.

duh.

I certainly don't know how they fell for the last lot.

Some political commentator on the radio yesterday was talking about Labor's loss and was saying that in some quarters there's a view that people who voted for the LNP were voting against their own interests, voting against the climate, voting against the economy, voting against health & education, and were therefore stupid.  She was making the point that such a view will not win votes next time, so was unhelpful.

My thought was "despite being bloody true!"

The sad thing is that Labor proved that being a big target by putting up well-considered and costed policies only gets you shot down by the voting sheep, so they won't do that again.  Whereas the conservatives had no actual policies, and in fact had already given up on winning the election that a pack of senior members had resigned.

What the LNP/One Nation/Palmer voters achieved was nothing more than making all politicians even more cowardly and loathe to actually lead than they already were.

duh.

We rightly criticise politicians but seem unable to accept any blame ourselves.  Attempt to solve a long standing serious problem or get a $10 tax cut, unfortunately too many are seduced by getting more in their pocket.   I suspect that many of the voting public are like children sitting on santas knee down at the department store asking for for toys. 

Kamaz have released their prototype hybrid diesel/electric truck and say serial production will start in 2024 or 2025. They claim it to be 17% more efficient using 25 litres of fuel per 100klm.. The roofs of the prime mover and pantech are covered with solar panels and the cab is packed with electronics and AI features. The driver must pass a sobriety test before the engine will start and cameras monitor the driver for signs of fatigue. Has a lot of touchscreens for the control system, cameras and screens instead of mirrors etc.. They must make a good solid truck; they've won the Dakar rally most of this century.

[ATTACH]50496._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50497._xfImport[/ATTACH]

95.thumb.png.bf62e47dac034327cd3d19ab0ec409a1.png

93.thumb.png.18c14487b13c46a87ade618ab8dfa5d6.png

I am staying with my son at the moment, he is very into competing in motor sport and has a quite fast IC race car but his car of choice is his new Tesla model 3P  which is his daily drive and also has been used on the track, although the motor sport body is drawing up new rules because although he usually does alright he came second to the 200k custom built car.

I had a long drive of it today and I was extremely impressed, It was very easy to drive and makes IC car seem primitive. I of course drove it quite sedately although tomorrow we are going a day trip.

Here is some video of an aggressive launch, I was sitting in the back at this point, my wifes reaction say it all. 

The missus's Camry Atara S isn't too bad off the mark with 170HP from 2.5L - but a Tesla S pulled up alongside us at the lights a few months back, and as it took off, I floored the Camry.

The Tesla literally left the Camry standing, I have never seen any vehicle accelerate at the rate that Tesla did. Its acceleration is described as "ludicrous", and it certainly is. I understand they can produce 900HP.

• 4 weeks later...

We were looking for a replacement car for the wife. So I took her to a Nissan dealer and she had a test drive of a Leaf.. The acceleration scared her... Unf, the UK government in their forward thinking mode stopped subsidies for EVs, making them about £8-10K more than their IC equivalent. That combined with it being a bland car put my wife off.. We went to the mini dealer and they have a hybris Countryman, which was what I preferred for her as we have a steep driveway and in winter, it can get icy. Only problem is, and I cannot believe some people who design cars, despite the battery taking up a fair whack of the boot (rather than sticking in the floor wells), the thing only had a 20 mile range.. the motor was smallish and although zippier that the 1.5l petrol, only had a range of 20 or so miles... And the 4wd only worked when the battery had sufficient charge - after which, having a countryman for was is a waste of time.

Given I know my wife and after lugging in the groceries, etc., if she knows there's petrol in it, she won't plug it in.. So we decided to save ourselves around £20K and buy a 2 year old one with only 1900 miles on it.. other than not having an electric motor, it was the same spec.

On another note, a hybrid regional commuter plane may not be that far off: https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2017/11/airbus--rolls-royce--and-siemens-team-up-for-electric-future-par.html

Just think. No warm up, no mufflers to rot out, no coolant,or water pump,  practically no servicing, no vibration  no noise no transmission. no stinking exhaust. Practically every car builder is concerned/looking into them. Why would one buy a new old tech car now, when so much change is in the air.? Every Tesla I've seen on the road just walks away from just about any other car I know of, effortlessly. Nev

And right there is the reason why the EV takeup is slow, and they're still selling diesel dual cab utes like there's no tomorrow.

You can buy enough fossil fuel to keep yourself going for 30 years, in the price difference between a dual cab ute and a Tesla.

Not until EV's become reasonably priced, will I ever consider one.

My 2013 diesel Hilux cost me under $16,000 with low kms, and it's got 1 tonne carrying capabilities, as well as 2.5 tonne towing ability.

On top of that, I'll get 15 years trouble-free use out of it, and I'll still get good money for it, when I want to quit it.

I have yet to see the resale value of a used Tesla.

I see a great future in re purposed batteries from such huge power packs.

Home power and farm power just add solar/wind.

Also absolutely awesome as power on a big cruising yacht.

On a big one, all that weight is a bonus. Some euro brands are already doing hybrid boats to great effect. Better ones will power all day on just solar and battery is still mostly charged.

All you electric drivers, smash at will, boats love you.