Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

A big challenge will be electric trucks. Until that happens they'll still have to drill for oil to move the world's freight. I think there might have been an electric powered semi-trailer recently that did a considerable mileage between charges. Don't know if it was loaded or not.

A big challenge will be electric trucks. Until that happens they'll still have to drill for oil to move the world's freight. I think there might have been an electric powered semi-trailer recently that did a considerable mileage between charges. Don't know if it was loaded or not.

There are certainly challenges for long range trucking although there is a hydrogen fuel cell semi that can do 1200k (Nikola One) I think most truck companies have something in the works. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/tesla-nikola-electric-trucks-changing-industry

I don't think it will be very long before we see these vehicles on the road certainly ver the next decade.  Smaller trucks are already on the road. 

https://techau.com.au/australias-sea-electric-has-taken-multiple-orders-for-its-2500nm-ev-truck/

My son picked  up his new Tesla yesterday. He lives in Wellington and picked it up from Auckland. He took this great picture on the drive home.  Alas nothing ever goes totally smoothly, he got a stone chip in the windscreen.[ATTACH]50350._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH]50351._xfImport[/ATTACH]

EFiL_ZjU0AEWFVW.thumb.jpeg.0c807840b2bacfbff068609f50cab72c.jpeg

FB_IMG_1569723303410.thumb.jpg.6835aa0e0ec7e2c329669ac9c01ccf60.jpg

I believe the system gives plenty of warning of that possibility. I wonder how trustworthy your source is.  or maybe fool proof doesn't cover police use / training. .( Perhaps they said "freeze" and the audio picked it up) . Nev

No, I saw that news story too.  It was human error though, the previous shift forgot to charge the car.

If they disconnected the wheel from the axle and gave it a perfectly balanced spin, then got an odometer to read the revolutions without touching it, it'll have pretty much endless miles on the clock.

Here's a question for those who are cleverer than I - what would stop the mileage?

1. Death of the electronics from UV exposure and micrometeorite strikes

2. Too big a number for the odometer to display

3. Gravity of the rest of the car eventually pulling the wheel back into contact

4. The spin given to the wheel providing stability that the rest of the car doesn't have so eventually it would either drift away from or into the car

5. Both wheel and car impacting Mars?

• 1 month later...

Oh Electric car thread.

I have owned 4 of them over the last 4+ years, daily drive in a Tesla S, 87,000 kms now, and own a Geely Emgrand EV and a BYD E5, both with 55,000kms. I sold a JAC EVi6 a few years back at 35,000kms.

I also sell about 20 EVs per month now out of my Stealership. The Geely and BYDs are my Demos.

I don't know everything about EVs, but I know a bit. What would you like to know?

[ATTACH]50422._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50423._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1728788628_evnth.thumb.JPG.69b5a9be3acba66f2799d5b98a2c30d2.JPG

1095498259_Teslaandme.thumb.JPG.a41c53274674c0859df60b42e7796b9a.JPG

A big challenge will be electric trucks. .

Many 1 to 3 ton trucks around Chinese cities now, they are awesome.

The EV trucks accelerate like normal cars from lights, none of this nonsense of nearly coming to a stop as they try to find second gear up a hill, and of course don't spew smoke over people walking along. Then there's the noise, the lack of it .

Should be law to get rid of the diesel equivelents out of cities..

Oh Electric car thread.

I have owned 4 of them over the last 4+ years, daily drive in a Tesla S, 87,000 kms now, and own a Geely Emgrand EV and a BYD E5, both with 55,000kms. I sold a JAC EVi6 a few years back at 35,000kms.

I also sell about 20 EVs per month now out of my Stealership. The Geely and BYDs are my Demos.

I don't know everything about EVs, but I know a bit. What would you like to know?

[ATTACH]3364[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3365[/ATTACH]

What's the nominal service cost and interval?

Minimal I believe. It could be designed for self monitoring, as a lot of digital stuff can be. The INFERNAL Combustion engine is a dinosaur. Having explosions inside your engine is not as attractive as having magnetic forces doing it quietly and just spinning on a couple of sealed ball races.  Nev