Electric Cars - the discussion continues.

Phil Perry

Nev, there is a trick to keeping the on/off pumps from cutting in and out when you are in the shower. You set the cutoff pressure up very close to the max pressure delivered by the centrifugal pump. Then the pump keeps going even if the flow is small.

Gosh I had some awful showers before I was told about this.

And while you are right about elevated tanks being the most reliable, they are no longer done because the pressure-sensor pumps are just so much cheaper.

Remember the old water towers in the suburbs? No new ones for many years.

...And while you are right about elevated tanks being the most reliable, they are no longer done because the pressure-sensor pumps are just so much cheaper.Remember the old water towers in the suburbs? No new ones for many years.

So that's progress? Making our communities totally vulnerable to a power outage, which bad guys can organise from anywhere in the world, anytime it suits them.

Very encouraging news, Octave.

Electric vehicles are certainly in the news, but the LNP might find it easy to exploit ignorance about their potential. Tonight's local TV news showed lots of people didn't think EVs would be viable in rural areas for decades to come. Limited range and lack of recharging stations was a common complaint.

Another colossal furfey: there's a shortage of qualified maintainers. Ignoring the fact that EVs are simple and likely to require little maintenance.

Very encouraging news, Octave.Electric vehicles are certainly in the news, but the LNP might find it easy to exploit ignorance about their potential. Tonight's local TV news showed lots of people didn't think EVs would be viable in rural areas for decades to come. Limited range and lack of recharging stations was a common complaint.

Another colossal furfey: there's a shortage of qualified maintainers. Ignoring the fact that EVs are simple and likely to require little maintenance.

It is a shame that we are so far behind in this country. Whilst travelling around NZ I was amazed at how many charging stations there were. My son lives in NZ and is a car enthusiast. He owns many cars including a motorsport car, his daily drive is a BMWI3. It costs him $3 a week to get to work. Wellington gets around 80% of its electricity from renewables. In a couple of weeks, we will be staying with him for a couple of weeks and we will have the EV for the duration, looking forward to driving it.

Using an EV's you pay no fuel tax and you can bet the Men in Suits are looking into it.

Ultimately they will need to replace those lost taxes somehow and that is fair enough. It seems to me that given new technology it may become possible to base tax directly on a vehicles use of the roads.

Yes Old K, there is more vulnerability with electric pressure-pumps keeping the water going. In Horsham a few years ago, a grass fire burned down some houses. The people could have defended the houses with their garden hoses, but the water went off along with the electricity.

In long large bore water pipe runs you get a big inertia problem. Shut it off "non gently" and you blow something. Gravity is fail safe and a LAW no one can escape and easy to calculate. 33 ft equals one Bar. Down hill you MUST take it into account as it's there whether you like it or not. Nev

That Rivian is up there with supercar performance at 0 to 100 in 3 seconds. So many innovative concepts in storage practicality. The front end styling is reminiscent of the Ford Edsel in the 60s hailed as the greatest American family car ever. Everyone hated it due to the horrible vertical grille & it bombed. It might be a signature feature of the Rivian but they may rue that decision.

The development of EVs is exponential now and will only increase further. A year ago I thought I'd never get a chance (financially) to own one in my lifetime. Not so now. Charging stations are getting bigger also at an exponential rate (latest are 200kW) so if your charge is getting low you will be able to get a 5 minute top up to get home.

NZ has a nationwide network of charging stations already. I find it incredulous that Australia lags so far behind when we have so much potential in renewable energy production. SCOMOs mob head in the sand attitude just seem hell bent on their own demise.

Why do the electric vehicles have to be the same shape as gasoline powered cars. It should be easy to get e better streamlined shape.

I imagine that one reason is that the streamlining required for an EV probably dosn't vary much from an IC car. Car companies that also produce IC cars probably don't want to deviate too much from what they are already making. Many car buyers have conservative tastes and want something similar to their old car.

Audi has opted for small cameras instead of side mirrors and many vehicles have the door handles which retract into the body of the car.

If you look at the concept cars being displayed at auto shows many of them are quite different in shape to the past.

There are some aerodynamic advantages that we don't tend to see or think about such as the flat underneath of the vehicle due to battery pan.

In a couple of weeks, We are going to NZ to visit my son, this is his daily drive car that he will be lending us. BMWI3 I am very much looking forward to driving it.

[ATTACH]50021._xfImport[/ATTACH]

bmwi3.thumb.jpg.9a41afb93696c08ad5067dbe921938fc.jpg

The problem is people don't even look half the time. Car doors are no good for the older folks It's easier to get into some ultralights than a lot of cars.. Lately I'm noticing an increasing number of drivers who don't put their lights on at night. How much attention are they paying to the job of driving? Nev

I had a beut 2.5 Subaru sedan. Just couldn't duck my head low enough to easily get in or out of it. Great fuel economy.

Traded on a large Pajero, that I don't have to double over to get in.

NOT the best for economy but GREAT for comfort, & for towing.

spacesailor

I read it

"“We want to see two things; some sort of support for car companies to develop the technology and introduce them to the market and, on the flipside, some sort of consumer incentive that encourages them to purchase in this direction. Ideally, you’d want both and at the moment you’ve got neither "

Sounds like Ford & Holden before they left.

"Grant conceded subsidies and incentives for EVs primarily help rich people pay a little less for an expensive car – a Tesla Model S is priced from $146,512, while the new Jaguar I-PACE costs $119,000 – which hardly motivates politicians to act on them."

My point earlier,!.

"But with pricing for the IONIQ EV starting at $44,990, making it the cheapest EV currently sold in Australia, he argued the impact of incentives would be a more significant help for mainstream vehicle buyers.

“We want this to be a real alternative for average Australians. This is not an elitist vehicle,” he said"

The general public have managed for aeons with basic cars.

spacesailor

There are currently 9 used Nissan Leaf EV's listed on carsales.com.au all under $30,000, the cheapest listed at $22,888.

I checked the recharging stations, and the closest to me is less than 3 km away. They quote No charge to charge.